Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What does a stock Evo rod look like before it breaks?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2011, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
This is not typical. I wouldnt let it stop you from buying a turbo. There is another cause here other than power or torque.
i hope so, info from you has not led me wrong yet, so im holding you to that statement
Old Nov 6, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
6000 + rpm under boost misses or random miss while idling or while driving?...
6000rpm under boost and high load (4th gear or something like that).
Old Nov 6, 2011, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6000rpm under boost and high load (4th gear or something like that).
Lmfao i have been chasing a miss fire under boost for a while now and i couldnt figure out.. scoped all the coil on the cop kit under boost. check out good. plugs were fine . no broken porcelain or cracks .. crank and cam signal wr in sync. i would asume a bent rod would make some kind noise or show on compression test . wich for me is well within the limits.
looks like it time to rip apart the stock block and build it lol...
Old Nov 6, 2011, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldnt get crazy just yet. Plugs gapped to 0.020? New wires? Tried a known set of good coils? Made sure the dwell is up enough for the boost level you are running? Timing and AFR good?

Bent rod will make noise and be low on compression. I doubt that is your issue so dont tear your block apart till you figure out what the issue is first because I can pretty much guarantee it will still be there when it all goes back together.

Aaron
Old Nov 6, 2011, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldnt get crazy just yet. Plugs gapped to 0.020? New wires? Tried a known set of good coils? Made sure the dwell is up enough for the boost level you are running? Timing and AFR good?

Bent rod will make noise and be low on compression. I doubt that is your issue so dont tear your block apart till you figure out what the issue is first because I can pretty much guarantee it will still be there when it all goes back together.

Aaron
i am running a cop kit . coils are good . plugs are at . 022 timing is good and afr are within check. its been running on e85 for the past 3.5 year and it just started to happen since 10/31/2011 . 26 psi and .022 gap i am sure dwell is enough for the boost.. or i could be wrong. and dwell issues on a distributor less ignition and cop kit would have shown up on the oscilloscope when logging data. all coil under boost have around 21 kv . ... i am gone recheck dwell 2morrow.. it could be small little **** that causing it . or something big bang is about to happen LOL...
Old Nov 6, 2011, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Had your injectors cleaned?

Aaron
Old Nov 6, 2011, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
i am running a cop kit . coils are good . plugs are at . 022 timing is good and afr are within check. its been running on e85 for the past 3.5 year and it just started to happen since 10/31/2011 . 26 psi and .022 gap i am sure dwell is enough for the boost.. or i could be wrong. and dwell issues on a distributor less ignition and cop kit would have shown up on the oscilloscope when logging data. all coil under boost have around 21 kv . ... i am gone recheck dwell 2morrow.. it could be small little **** that causing it . or something big bang is about to happen LOL...
what does the afr look like when its missing? stock heat range or colder? do new plugs fix it then it goes bad after a few miles?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting topic. I have a rod like the ones posted in this thread as well. It came from a motor I purchased from a local. The motor was still driven over 1,000 miles after the motor developed rod knock from the bend.

Last edited by RyuEvoIX; Nov 7, 2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Had your injectors cleaned?

Aaron
that is one thing i havent done yet.. lack of time is the reason.. soon i will be taking a look at those to.. about 40k miles on e85 and i havent pulled them out yet.. ..
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:16 PM

I'm subscribed to this thread because I have some nice noises goin on with my car. I just bought it a couple months back and it's been nothing, but problems. I've replaced the turbo and related gaskets, lower intercooler piping (previous owner crumpled the stock by hitting a snowbank), valve cover gasket and plug seals, throttle body seals, and plugs. Car still is obnoxiously loud under load and has occasional misfiring. Doesn't help that the clutch may be going bad. I can't seem to get passed 20psi without misfiring or knocking. I will be doing a compression test soon to see if something is wrong in the motor, but some of the comments in here have me wondering about the integrity of my pistons and rods (one cylinder had oil in it, but it seems to have been from a cracked valve cover leaking down the plug channel).

On topic, that rod is CRAZY! I wish they all did that instead of snapping.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

John, have you ever had any cases of manley cranks cracking? I'm doing a build and was informed that two have recently cracked, now I'm doubtful and wondering if im better off with a new stock crank instead.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

We had one Manley H beam break in half but it seems that it was more likely what it was being put through than forces on the rod. The pathology was hard to determine but it may have even been a wrist pin issue. No way to tell for sure other than it exited.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i also have a bent rod from my first evo i kept it around its bent just like most of yours had 35k or so on it when the **** went down lol
Old Jul 21, 2019, 03:02 PM

Rod capacity

Hello to everyone. I’m sorry I make alive this topic again. Buy can I ask general rule 400torque is the that connecting rod can handle is wheel torque or flywheel torque? And on dynojet or mustang or other brand dyno?

thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 03:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by knox839
Hello to everyone. I’m sorry I make alive this topic again. Buy can I ask general rule 400torque is the that connecting rod can handle is wheel torque or flywheel torque? And on dynojet or mustang or other brand dyno?

thanks.
Hey @knox839

If im not mistaken, our thoughts on that value is Wheel Torque as measured on the the DJ

Certainly not written in stone but a general guideline to keep the stock crank & rods relatively happy

Quick Reply: What does a stock Evo rod look like before it breaks?