Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ef3 vs new fp red bb

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2011, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP makes great turbos, I'm on a non bb red and on the stock block I'm making 440+ on pump + meth @ approx 25psi seeing full boost by 4200rpm
Like someone stated before, these turbos are capable of 600+hp
Old Nov 11, 2011, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

I'm running an 80mm non-bb red and put down 430hp at 27psi on pump. At 32psi on e85 it made 520hp. I hit full boost just after 4500rpms. It hits hard and fast. I don't have any comparison to an ef3 though.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

Btw, from about 7k-8k, my boost will fall from 32psi to about 27psi. Mine will not hold all the way until redline.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:59 AM

My friend's EF3 on a IX MR stock block, full exhaust, and hks cams @ 25 psi.and 23psi WGA made 445 hp on 93 pump.....talk about hitting hard, this thing hits at about 4000-4500 rpm and keeps pulling....

all these comparisons, tells me both turbos are in the same ball park.....the ball bearing would be nice but not for almost $1000 more
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
These are two very different turbo lines.

The Red will have more power. I had a journal bearing FP Red that dyno'd 482/462 with a very wide powerband and very conservative ignition timing. It was hard to keep strapped down with 3rd gear pulls. Many others have had much higher numbers from a Red with different setups. The Green is a fantastic street turbo, and the BB Green has been getting great reviews from English Racing (road race car) and others who have tested it. Curt Brown says it's the best street turbo he's ever run, and just put on the production BB Green a few days ago. That may be the "sweet spot" for all street type cars that do a mix of stuff, like drag, road racing, or autocross as well as street.

The new BB FP Black, Red and Green have better transients and will be nearly bulletproof with the ball bearing center section. FP turbos are built in America, and backed by the best warranty in the business. Experience and focus on a single product makes a difference. FP doesn't try to be an expert in everything, just turbos, which they do better than anyone else. You want the benefit, it costs a little more. That's true in almost every purchase you can make -- there's a range of quality and value. A ball bearing center section may not be necessary for everyone. Some frankly will have to make their decision based on price. That's OK, too.

Performance, Reliability and warranty are worth a little extra to me. One failure and R&R, shipping and downtime is enough hassle to bridge the difference in initial cost. Heck, if you're shopping on price, just look for a good low mileage used Black, Red or HTA Green and snap it up, and you'll have even more money in your pocket.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im excited to autocross the car now with the BB Green, last time out I had the BB Black on with just WG pressure, so a hint of lag and then way too much power unsettling the car, the Green with the 2.3 has diesel mad instant torque and a better all around powerband for autocross and can still trp well into the 140's.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRE
Im excited to autocross the car now with the BB Green.... the Green with the 2.3 has diesel mad instant torque and a better all around powerband for autocross and can still trp well into the 140's.
I guess that CB sorta likes this BB Green.....maybe.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Do you keep track of EGT's on your car CB? If so, I am wondering what WOT temps you are seeing with the Green on your 2.3 motor.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRE
Im excited to autocross the car now with the BB Green, last time out I had the BB Black on with just WG pressure, so a hint of lag and then way too much power unsettling the car, the Green with the 2.3 has diesel mad instant torque and a better all around powerband for autocross and can still trp well into the 140's.
My friend autocrosses and will love to read this review.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Do you keep track of EGT's on your car CB? If so, I am wondering what WOT temps you are seeing with the Green on your 2.3 motor.
I dont, car is tuned pretty safe at 12.0 A/F, 35 spike holding 27 at redline with modest timing.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
I'd opt for the EF3, especially if spool and response are important to you. My buddy has one in his built IX with 2.3L and it spools just as quick as a stock turbo. I would say the power output is right inline with what a Red can do too. You have to remember, turbos can and will always make more power than what they're rated at, you're just exceeding the limits they were designed to reliably perform within.
Kracka. Can you link me up to a descriptive thread about the MAP EF3? I guess that I missed the boat on this turbo and know nothing about it.

Is it a bolt on option with Evo IX housings and just different wheels? Does it still ride on journal bearings?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Kracka. Can you link me up to a descriptive thread about the MAP EF3? I guess that I missed the boat on this turbo and know nothing about it.

Is it a bolt on option with Evo IX housings and just different wheels? Does it still ride on journal bearings?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ts-thread.html
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the link, pure evo!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the link, pure evo!
No problem, my friend.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

FP BB Red should be good for 650whp on a dynojet all day long and last forever.

Quick Reply: ef3 vs new fp red bb