Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ef3 vs new fp red bb

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2011, 03:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_VR4
The Red will have more power.
Incorrect, we've made 610+whp with an EF3 we just don't recommend running them at that level

The new BB FP Black, Red and Green... will be nearly bulletproof with the ball bearing center section.
We've already discussed my opinion on this and the limited sample set for their "new" technology. Curt and ER seem to be having good luck thus far, no doubt there. However, let's say one of them had a failure, do you think it would be made public?

FP turbos are built in America
Define built.

backed by the best warranty in the business.
Anyone that has worked with us in the past knows the kind of customer service we offer, these new turbochargers won't be any different
Old Nov 25, 2011, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ haha

MAP EF3 for sure man!!!!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 03:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by ScorpionT
I am sure the EF3 spools quicker, the compressor and housing are both smaller. The EF3 is rated for 550whp, the Red will make over 650whp.
BB red will not make 650 whp. I am sure it will make better #s with stroker motors or 2.4 motors but its only rated at 550. The ef3 will make 500 easily and on a stroker motor will make more as the red will. Another thing you misrepresent is no the ef3 doesn't have smaller compressor housings. They use the standard mitsu housing unless you want the surge port on it. If your gonna give out helpfull info please get everything correct before you post.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ill be picking up the EF3 for sure,that new FP BB prices have defiantly turned me away from their stock appearance line up. Shame they dont still offer JB as well
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
BB red will not make 650 whp. I am sure it will make better #s with stroker motors or 2.4 motors but its only rated at 550. The ef3 will make 500 easily and on a stroker motor will make more as the red will. Another thing you misrepresent is no the ef3 doesn't have smaller compressor housings. They use the standard mitsu housing unless you want the surge port on it. If your gonna give out helpfull info please get everything correct before you post.

BB Red can make 650whp in the hands of a blind goat. Thus far the durability of both the BB Black and Green have been amazing, this is from a guy that breaks a journal bearing turbo in less than 1000 miles every time. If I were recommending a stock frame bolt on to anyone it would be the Red.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:10 PM
EvoM Guru

I haven't seen a one yet Curt, but thats not to say it hasn't happened. I know the website says 550 or whatever. But remember not everyones car is built like yours. You personally can prob make that on a red but thats not to say someone else could.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Curt you can extract performance from a setup like no one else, at least you're using my tubular manifold and O2 eliminator to set these records
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
Another thing you misrepresent is no the ef3 doesn't have smaller compressor housings. They use the standard mitsu housing unless you want the surge port on it. If your gonna give out helpfull info please get everything correct before you post.

Something like this...?

Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Map,
do you guys have the inducer/exducer specs listed anywhere for your turbos? would really like to have those specs. PM them to me if you dont want them public. Hard to recommend a turbo to someone when I dont know what size it really is. Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
Incorrect, we've made 610+whp with an EF3 we just don't recommend running them at that level
And you probably don't recommend running them at that level because you know it won't be able to handle that reliably, right?

Are you disputing that at that power level a ball bearing red wouldn't provide for a more durable, longer lasting turbo?
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:13 PM
EvoM Guru

I think what he means is, they wanted a turbo that will be in the x amount of hp range. I mean eveyone knows turbos are rated at x amount of power. I am sure if they squeezed every ounce of power they could out of the turbo and made 610 whp, that they have to dial back the power rateing for warrenty issues. I mean if you go all ***** out on your turbo and it kills the turbo and you send it in for warrenty work, not only is that gonna void warrenty, but they aren't gonna fix it because your out of the power range they wanted you to run it at. I am sure FP is the same way. But I am sure they have deals with the big boys who push them to absolute can't make any more power and they get them fixed for free. Don't let that fool you.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

I guess I just understand the limitation of the stock center housing first hand. I'm sure the EF line up are great turbos, but a huge difference in the price (which seems to be a big problem in some people's mind) is due to the BB center section. Hard to dispute that the BB CHRA isn't better than a journal bearing.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:45 PM
EvoM Guru

I am not saying that in the least being I have both types of turbos on my cars. But I do think it goes back to warrenty issues. Being the bb chra is way more expensive to get and repair to a journal bearing turbo. I think alot of what is being said has to do with that fact. I am sure if the ef3 was designed to compete with a bb red, then it too would have been a bb turbo. At the time the turbo was developed I am sure it was a direct competitor of the journal bearing red. Chris correct me if I am wrong here.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:01 AM
Former Sponsor

All I'm saying is that you guys have to realize that this isn't Garrett or PTE ball bearing CHRA's which have been proven time and time again. FP themselves touts this as "new" technology and thus far everyone is basing their opinion on results from two of FP's biggest brand advocates that in all likelihood received these turbochargers for free...
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

I will agree and say that I do not know exactly what FP is using in their CHRA's and that we should not just assume that just because it is ball bearing that it is on the same level of the Garrett CHRA's. You make a good point there Chris.

I have to ask though, you guys must be working on a ball bearing solution, no?

Quick Reply: ef3 vs new fp red bb