Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ef3 vs new fp red bb

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
All I'm saying is that you guys have to realize that this isn't Garrett or PTE ball bearing CHRA's which have been proven time and time again. FP themselves touts this as "new" technology and thus far everyone is basing their opinion on results from two of FP's biggest brand advocates that in all likelihood received these turbochargers for free...
Its kinda funny how FP really wasn't interested in doing a bb version of the turbos till Tom wen't out and spent the money on getting his done.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltz.
I will agree and say that I do not know exactly what FP is using in their CHRA's and that we should not just assume that just because it is ball bearing that it is on the same level of the Garrett CHRA's. You make a good point there Chris.

I have to ask though, you guys must be working on a ball bearing solution, no?
We're exploring a few different options but our main focus was getting the product lined launched for both Evo and Evo X, now that we've done so we can spend some more time on R&D
Old Nov 28, 2011, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dimacoupe
what is your opinion?

stock block, mahle pistons, eagle rods, stock crankshaft.

price, power and spool it is important
what about spool and lag? i don't want too laggy turbo. the end power is not the most important parameter at all.

1 bar on what RPMs? ef3/fp red dbb

I really wondered whether to take fp red?

ps: car for all seasons auto-x, summer track and dd.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 03:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
dimacoupe: You are truly searching for a turbo for all seasons. At what engine speed do you want to be seeing 1 BAR at? Realistically though, how many people do you think are trying to auto cross competitively with a stock displacement motor and a Red, or an EF3 for that matter? In actuality, I'll bet that there aren't that many.

Last edited by sparky; Nov 28, 2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by sparky
dimacoupe: You are truly searching for a turbo for all seasons. At what engine speed do you want to be seeing 1 BAR at? Realistically though, how many people do you think are trying to auto cross competitively with a stock displacement motor and a Red, or an EF3 for that matter? In actuality, I'll bet that there aren't that many.
now on my stock turbo i have 1 bar on 3k rpm. on ef3/fp red 1bar on 3250-3500 realistically?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
now on my stock turbo i have 1 bar on 3k rpm. on ef3/fp red 1bar on 3250-3500 realistically?
I am with Sparky on this one. If you are looking for more grunt, then why not select the EF2? You are asking for the perfect turbo that can do all things effectively and efficiently. Drag racing and autocrossing are on different shelves of the bookstore, my friend. You have to make the decision on what you prefer the most and build accordingly.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by pure_evo
I am with Sparky on this one. If you are looking for more grunt, then why not select the EF2? You are asking for the perfect turbo that can do all things effectively and efficiently. Drag racing and autocrossing are on different shelves of the bookstore, my friend. You have to make the decision on what you prefer the most and build accordingly.
I drive autocross, rally and ring. drag racing I do not Interest. but since I have already prepared the block, I would like to have all the advantages everywhere, both on the ring and in the autocross.

change stock turbo to ef2 I see little point in

I understand what you mean. and fully understand that my choice should be between ef2 and FP Green, but my block is ready for 500+ and it will give me a privilege on the track.

on this would be desirable to choose the best. If there is no difference in spool between fp red and ef3 - no sense to pay more for fp.

Last edited by dimacoupe; Nov 28, 2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I drive autocross, rally and ring. drag racing I do not Interest. but since I have already prepared the block, I would like to have all the advantages everywhere, both on the ring and in the autocross. change stock turbo to ef2 I see little point in
That said, the EF3 is the next obvious choice, my friend.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:28 AM

red is like a do all setup. cheap it will make nice power on a stock pump gas block and i have see it make over 600 on a built e85 car. jus gotta love that
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow I'm retarded and can't believe I didn't notice this before. CBRE(curt brown) is sponsored by FP, of course he's going to recommend a FP product...
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cursedsm
Its kinda funny how FP really wasn't interested in doing a bb version of the turbos till Tom wen't out and spent the money on getting his done.
That's not true.

FP had been working on their new CHRA design for quite some time before Tom went and had his upgraded by Owens.

-Bink
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by SyZyGy1394
Wow I'm retarded and can't believe I didn't notice this before. CBRE(curt brown) is sponsored by FP, of course he's going to recommend a FP product...
Do you really think Curt would gimp himself with an inferior turbo?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I`ll be upgrading my turbo soon 1 step up since still on stock block and drive my car daily and consider EF3 since I love MAP stuff you can`t beat quality/value ratio but a BB FP RED really messing with my head now. I guess once you try BB transient response and those on/off boost situations you deal with daily on the street you don`t wanna go journal bearing ever again. I guess we gotta be more patient, maybe MAP give as BB version soon, I know CBRD is working on BB as well
Old Dec 11, 2011, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by batty200
an fp red is a silly turbo now. the black spools almost the same and makes more power. Either hta green or black are the fp choices I would look at. You then need to decide on your power goals.

I have no idea how the map turbos compare but they are not BB and they are significantly less expensive.
It is not the same, the FP spools measurably better and snaps to attention much faster for daily driving, obviously once both spool the BLACK makes more power but for those with a 2.0 or a stock bottom end a RED is a good choice. I have over 20PSI before 4000 RPMS the BLACK is well beyond the 4000 threshold. The difference is like a 30R vs a 35R.

I would also point out that most of us would not use the power of a BLACK but would be stuck with the lag permanently. I love my BB RED and is very easy to drive around. Also don't forget that the red is a 9 second turbo as well, it is the best of both worlds. Serious power and Spool.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting read here!!!

Quick Reply: ef3 vs new fp red bb