Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ef3 vs new fp red bb

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 09:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Initial_r90
damn looks like I opened pandoras box
No I don't think you did I think its people discussing their opinions about what they like better thats all. Everyone has there opinions about what goes on as stated above, but all in all it comes down to what you want in your car. If you want one thing after doing your own research, then no one elses opinion should matter.
Old May 26, 2012, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Initial_r90
damn looks like I opened pandoras box
It's the internet, better bring your shovel for all the bs that flies around.
Old May 26, 2012, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm running ef3 and love it fast spool, and great top end
Old May 27, 2012, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven
Btw, from about 7k-8k, my boost will fall from 32psi to about 27psi. Mine will not hold all the way until redline.
That issue is because of the stock frame hotside and twin scroll. If you went with a similar sized turbo with a huge hotside and single scroll it would probably hot more. Port the hell out of the hot side and get an 02 eliminator with a dump you'll hold more boost.

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
Incorrect, we've made 610+whp with an EF3 we just don't recommend running them at that level

We've already discussed my opinion on this and the limited sample set for their "new" technology. Curt and ER seem to be having good luck thus far, no doubt there. However, let's say one of them had a failure, do you think it would be made public?

Define built.

Anyone that has worked with us in the past knows the kind of customer service we offer, these new turbochargers won't be any different

The JB Red has been proven a 9 second turbo, what has the EF3 run?

That dual ceramic ball bearing is a great idea. Anyone ever heat metal? It expands significantly. Ceramics take more heat and don't expand as much, that speaks volumes for longevity. I agree though we are only a year into the BB's but are there any failure threads?

Originally Posted by cursedsm
BB red will not make 650 whp. I am sure it will make better #s with stroker motors or 2.4 motors but its only rated at 550.
It will, more of a spike it obviously won't hold it but it gets there. The torque it makes is far more significant. I am making 460WHP at 29PSI with S1's, imagine open boosted on C16 with crazy cams and ported head, build 2.0 or bigger, the works, obviously this is the ceiling of the turbo.

Originally Posted by CBRE
BB Red can make 650whp in the hands of a blind goat. Thus far the durability of both the BB Black and Green have been amazing, this is from a guy that breaks a journal bearing turbo in less than 1000 miles every time. If I were recommending a stock frame bolt on to anyone it would be the Red.
Curt rules, 10's on a stocker. Brilliant.

Originally Posted by SyZyGy1394
Wow I'm retarded and can't believe I didn't notice this before. CBRE(curt brown) is sponsored by FP, of course he's going to recommend a FP product...
Companies just don't hand out sponsorships. You need to get out there and make numbers for yourself. A company offers your parts to better your numbers and if they work that person posts about it.

Last edited by High_PSI; May 27, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old May 31, 2012, 02:44 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone auto-x with either of the turbos?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

So..
What can I expect to get from the EF2? Could I compare the EF2 with the HTA Green directly?
I havent found much info on the both compared. I would like to hit 500+ on what should be a built 2.3 L
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by selp
So..
What can I expect to get from the EF2? Could I compare the EF2 with the HTA Green directly?
I havent found much info on the both compared. I would like to hit 500+ on what should be a built 2.3 L
I do not think so as the EF2 is advertised to be a 450whp turbo and I am assuming that it flows in the 49-lbs/min range.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Levar
I do not think so as the EF2 is advertised to be a 450whp turbo and I am assuming that it flows in the 49-lbs/min range.
So that makes the green an in between EF2 and EF3?
Price wise seems to be, as well as performance. Since the EF2 is price in the same category as the Green, while the EF3 is considerably more.
Tough choice to make..
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I want a Green SOOO bad because I could make well over 500whp and have a killer powerband. It is just too damn much money for me. Even used ones go for way too much $$$ for my broke ***!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batty200
I want a Green SOOO bad because I could make well over 500whp and have a killer powerband. It is just too damn much money for me. Even used ones go for way too much $$$ for my broke ***!
Buy one, my friend.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by selp
So that makes the green an in between EF2 and EF3?
Price wise seems to be, as well as performance. Since the EF2 is price in the same category as the Green, while the EF3 is considerably more.
Tough choice to make..
You can say that, my friend. You are your goals? Intended use? Fuel of choice?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
People have made high 400s (dynojet) on the EF2 with E85 with stock like spool I thought FP turbos were only available in BB these days which would make it significantly more expensive than even the EF3?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
People have made high 400s (dynojet) on the EF2 with E85 with stock like spool
Really...? I did not know that. That being said, would you say the EF2 is in the same category as the 71HTA and BBK Full? I have seen each of these turbos make ~ 475-480whp (with just as much torque) on the Dynojet. If so, this makes my turbo selection choice even more difficult.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:57 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have tuned the EF2/3 on evo X's and it worked well, I have YET to tune one on an 8/9, but I have done plenty of non BB FP stuff- they all work really well

it's never a bad thing to have a "hard" decision to make- it just means that we are all providing good working products for the community!

cb
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
I have tuned the EF2/3 on evo X's and it worked well, I have YET to tune one on an 8/9, but I have done plenty of non BB FP stuff- they all work really well

it's never a bad thing to have a "hard" decision to make- it just means that we are all providing good working products for the community!

cb
100% I wish I could shake all your guys hands!!! (Cbrd, map, fp) We are very lucky to have so many great options for our cars!

Last edited by Turbo_Saloon; Nov 30, 2012 at 04:16 PM.

Quick Reply: ef3 vs new fp red bb