Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

jmfab vs cbrd intercooler

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2011, 07:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
jmfab vs cbrd intercooler

I know these two companies are tightly knit. They both offer what appears to be the same fmic. But, are they exactly the same? Both 3.8 garrett cores ..
Old Nov 5, 2011, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
I know these two companies.... both offer what appears to be the same fmic. But, are they exactly the same? Both 3.8 garrett cores ..
Do you have any comparative pics, ratty?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 08:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Go to WWW.extremepsi.com evo intercooler jmfab..

http://www.extremepsi.com/store/home.php?cat=1629

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Nov 5, 2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
call ets, i definitely think they are cheaper than that on the garrett core.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree with the ETS statement...not only are they cheaper by about $100, but on more than one occasion they have eluded to garrett cores leaking directly from the factory/dealer. ETS pressure tests every IC they send out (both their cores and gerrett). They aren't too fond of garrett cores for that reason, but they'll do what you ask...and probably warranty it for life too (not positive tho).
Old Nov 5, 2011, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
I know these two companies are tightly knit. They both offer what appears to be the same fmic. But, are they exactly the same? Both 3.8 garrett cores ..

Search. There a couple threads comparing the different intercoolers available for the Evo.

Originally Posted by YogSaahoth
I agree with the ETS statement...not only are they cheaper by about $100, but on more than one occasion they have eluded to garrett cores leaking directly from the factory/dealer. ETS pressure tests every IC they send out (both their cores and gerrett). They aren't too fond of garrett cores for that reason, but they'll do what you ask...and probably warranty it for life too (not positive tho).

Please do not continue to spread this mis-information.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<--- CBRD intercooler owner.

After looking closer, the only difference I can see between my CBRD intercooler and JFfab is the JMfab has polished endtanks.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 06:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Which is a purchasing option in that link. I'm feeling confident in a cbrd jmfab piece. I like the endtank design. It's my goal. Next week!
Old Nov 5, 2011, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig King
Only thing in his post that may be mis-information is the lifetime warranty. Maybe on welds but certainly not if something pierced the core

It's well known that Garrett cores have leak issues and companies that sell them need to address this prior to sending out finished product. Hell Garrett provides this info in a tech bulletin
Old Nov 6, 2011, 08:36 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
almost every company has core leak issues-

we have dealt with it on bell, Garrett, FCP etc--

JMFAB does alot of our production after we do the prototyping and jig's at our shop- we should really be in the same building

the garrett 3.8" core has proven itself time and time again to be THE core regardless of who attaches end tanks to it

cb
Old Nov 6, 2011, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD

the garrett 3.8" core has proven itself time and time again to be THE core regardless of who attaches end tanks to it

cb
i have read a ton of info on this, and it seems to hold true (especially if your saying it) but what has eluded me is any explanation why? it definitely doesnt look like it should compared to other cores.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

This is the note that is in every Garrett intercooler box. This is what most people are talking about when the cores leak.

Last year when we ran out of core for the Evo 8, I ordered 30 Garrett 3.8" and 3.0" cores all of them leaked in some way and 3 were not even repairable and our supplier would not take the cores back because we welded tanks to the core.

We have designed our new cores based on the Garrett core, the good thing is they don't leak. We pressure test each core to 35psi prior to leaving. If it's a race car or your running higher boost we will pressure check the intercooler to 50-70psi if needed.

We do offer a life time warranty on anything we build. We send the cores out leak free and ready to go. We have warrantied Garrett cores in the past, but most people end up switching to our cores after that.

If you have any questions let me know. we stand behind everything we build.

Thanks!

Michael

PS: Long story short, we do offer a life time warranty on anything that leaves our shop that is considered an ETS product

PSS: I have heard of some companies fixing leaks with glue. Make sure to double check the core before putting it on.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig King
Mis-information huh? Fortunately Michael put it to rest before I could even reply. Thanks for stopping by anyway bud ...
Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
again- we have seen almost every core on the planet leak-

we dont ship intercoolers that leak-

actually i have 2 FCP cores (we are no longer using) sitting on the bench- and 6 of them going back- because of core issues-

we utilize many different garrett cores in different sizes depending on the packaging-

Cheers-

CB
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD
again- we have seen almost every core on the planet leak-

we dont ship intercoolers that leak-

actually i have 2 FCP cores (we are no longer using) sitting on the bench- and 6 of them going back- because of core issues-

we utilize many different garrett cores in different sizes depending on the packaging-

Cheers-

CB

Quick Reply: jmfab vs cbrd intercooler