Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New 2.3 build, with massive mystery oil leak.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2.3 build, with massive mystery oil leak.

Cliff notes that the bottom for those that don't want to read it all.

So I just finished putting everything together tonight on my MAP 2.3 and built head. Filled her up with fluids, loaded my old map but with fuel/timing tables I use on a friends 2.3 Evo. I primed the fuel and oil and started cranking. I cranked and cranked and wasn't getting anything. (I usually only run e85, but never really worked out the cold start tuning on my car. It's in the 40's here tonight.)

I went to take a look around the bay, to quadruple check that I hadn't missed anything and noticed oil dropping down under the car. It appeared to be coming from behind the flywheel housing cover. Possibilities:

1. I'd love for it to be the oil pan as that wouldn't require removing the transmission and such, but since the oil looks like it's behind the cover, it can't be the pan right?

2. I followed the service manual's instructions for applying sealant to the rear oil seal's case, so I don't think it's that either.

3. I didn't have a press to put the rear seal in its case. Funny enough, I used an old broken STi piston that was the same diameter. I used that and a vice and thought I had pressed the seal flush and in all the way.

Took this pic before I pressed it in by the way.

What I'm asking of you guys is for opinions and/or advice before I go and rip everything back out.

Cliff notes:
-big oil leak after putting motor together, appears to be behind flywheel housing cover.
-suspecting the rear (transmission side) oil seal.
-opinions/advice before I tear everything apart to get to it?

Thanks guys.

-Justin
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not trying to question your build, but did you use a gasket between the carrier and the block? Your "press" method of the spring seal should be fine as long as it was straight and true.

EDIT: Lol there it is in the picture on the left! I guess you did heh. Maybe it cracked? Make sure to check everything above the transmission too although there isn't much that would seep enough oil through the transmission that isn't major. Good luck man.
Attached Images  

Last edited by evoredy; Nov 10, 2011 at 04:36 AM. Reason: LOL
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:34 PM
kpr
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dumb question but did you check the oil sending unit ? When it leaks its pretty close to where your talking about. Under the intake, toward back of engine.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoredy
I'm not trying to question your build, but did you use a gasket between the carrier and the block? Your "press" method of the spring seal should be fine as long as it was straight and true.

EDIT: Lol there it is in the picture on the left! I guess you did heh. Maybe it cracked? Make sure to check everything above the transmission too although there isn't much that would seep enough oil through the transmission that isn't major. Good luck man.
What do you mean did I use a gasket/you see it in the picture on the left? You use sealant as a gasket on the seal's case and the block. That or I'm really missing something here haha. I just followed the service manual.

On that side of the engine I can't think of any oil passages above the oil seal case that aren't covered up by the transmission. I can obviously see where the head/block mate and the valve cover and that's not leaking.

Originally Posted by kpr
Dumb question but did you check the oil sending unit ? When it leaks its pretty close to where your talking about. Under the intake, toward back of engine.
I did not, but I will definitely check that. The oil sure looked like it was coming from behind the flywheel cover, but I also saw it streaming down from above.

I'd love for it to be that simple, but for the volume of oil that was coming out the leak would have to be pretty significant there. I feel like if it was that bad the oil would be shooting out the back and onto the firewall.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Well you piqued my curiousity so I had to go out to the car and check. Unfortunately, not as simple as a leaky sending unit.

I did however take a closer look at the trail. If the rear seal is leaking, it's leaking towards the backside of the motor. I'll double check the oil pan in that spot, as there's a lot of oil right there. (Wouldn't the oil pan leak as soon as I filled the engine with oil?) I'll have to clean things up and try starting the engine one more time and have someone watch where it's coming from.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Napa and carquest sell engine oil dye that makes finding leaks really easy. You put it in the oil, run it for a few minutes then shine a uv light around. The leak glows bright green.