Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

valve seals? smoke..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD96
I have done the valve stem seals multiple times in DSM's and in my Evo successfully. Your symptoms point to either that or a bad turbo.
turbo is new so im going to assume its no that.

thanks for the input guys. im going to order new seal and hope that will fix the smoke issue. any thing else i should look for or replace while im in there doing the valve seals?

also whats the usual time frame a job like this should take doing in the car and are the seals hard to remove and put new ones on? or do they just slide off n slide back into proper place. thanks
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would at least pull your valve cover off and visually inspect the seals. You should be able to see if they are broken apart. I can't link you bc I'm on my phone but I did start a thread about it before.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by mr 2.3 evo
turbo is new so im going to assume its no that.

thanks for the input guys. im going to order new seal and hope that will fix the smoke issue. any thing else i should look for or replace while im in there doing the valve seals?

also whats the usual time frame a job like this should take doing in the car and are the seals hard to remove and put new ones on? or do they just slide off n slide back into proper place. thanks
As I recall, I went ahead and replaced the timing belts since I was in there. I used to work at a place where about every 5 weeks I'd get a four day weekend and I think I used most of this long weekend doing this job. But then I'm slow.

You pull the old seals with a pliers. The service manual reads - The special tool MD998737 must be used to install the valve stem seal. I used a small socket. The gray seals go on the inlet side and the gray green on the exhaust. They must be tapped down until they snap in place but too much force will damage them.

The cam caps must go back on exactly as they came off - without exception. So, mark them before removing.

You also may want a new valve cover gasket.

Last edited by barneyb; Nov 14, 2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo