Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Please help. Car is broke and need ideas to get it moving so I'm not stuck...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help. Car is broke and need ideas to get it moving so I'm not stuck...

At the track today and on a shift from 4th to 5th the engine started to rev really high. May have miss shifted into 3rd but before anything could really happen I put the clutch back in. Then, the car did not go into neutral and just made bad noises. I physically pulled the shift knob to put the car into neutral. After that the clutch was solid as a rock. Could not be budged.

I tried bleeding off pressure from the clutch slave cylinder. No fluid came out. I could move the clutch fork with my fingers but it would hit a stop and no amount of jiggling could get it to fulling move back.

So now I'm stuck with the car at the track and am slightly convinced that either something catastrophic happened, or the clutch fork is no longer moving the things it is supposed to (i.e. it somehow slipped into a position that now no longer moves the clutch out/in)

Any ideas to check the clutch fork? Get the pedal to move and limp the car home?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
what clutch? possibly the wedge collar is damaged? it would be kind of dangerous to limp it back imo.. but i suppose it could be done if need be.

if the clutch is stuck engaged as soon as you start the car its gonna roll forward.. is that what its doin?

Last edited by tscompusa; Nov 12, 2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

The shifter is in neutral now. I can shift it into gears just fine with the car off. But I can't even move the clutch pedal right now...

Clutch is an ACT street disk clutch.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Could the throwout bearing be stuck to the pressure plate? And if that's the case where is the little inspection whole in the transmission?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
How far are you from home?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
generally if it will shift with the engine off and wont shift with it running, the clutch isnt disengaging. sounds like the fork is off. can you look down past the boot and see anything? either way, get it towed. a tow is cheaper than a transmission.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

I'm over two hours from home. What do you mean past the boot?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by therunningskier
The shifter is in neutral now. I can shift it into gears just fine with the car off. But I can't even move the clutch pedal right now...

Clutch is an ACT street disk clutch.
ok so put it in 1st gear and start it and youll see it will lurch forward.. the only thing is if the wedge collar is damaged and its mangled up it can fall apart inside your clutch system and cause damage to the disc's if it scratches them up.

jack the car up, remove the rubber cover under the transmission, shine a light up in there youll see your issue.. guaranteed it sounds like the wedge collar popped and it happens when you try to shift to fast.

or pull the fork boot off and look down from above with a bright light.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

If the shift collar is popped can I un pop it and drive home?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

no?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you need to drop the trans to fix it as far as i know.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

open the bleeder then start it in gear, drive home it will take some attention and you'll have to look far ahead but it can be done. when you have to stop pop it into neutral turn the car off and start it with the car in first gear again. clutch will be useless but you can drive it. hope you know how to rev match for the downshifting.

reason you'll have to crack the bleeder is so you can get the clutch pedal down so the starter will engage, you won't lose brakes because there is a chamber for the clutch off to the side in the brake reservoir.

Last edited by cfdfireman1; Nov 12, 2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Or, if ^^^ is too complicated, put the tranny in 3rd and hit the starter. This should get you going. When you've got to stop, hit the brake and kill the engine. Take the side roads and back streets. Yeah, not fun.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
open the bleeder then start it in gear, drive home it will take some attention and you'll have to look far ahead but it can be done. when you have to stop pop it into neutral turn the car off and start it with the car in first gear again. clutch will be useless but you can drive it. hope you know how to rev match for the downshifting.

reason you'll have to crack the bleeder is so you can get the clutch pedal down so the starter will engage, you won't lose brakes because there is a chamber for the clutch off to the side in the brake reservoir.
This is your best bet if you want to get the car home without spending more than a grand for a flat bed. You will be able to shift into the next gear without the clutch if you let the revs drop and push it into the next gear at the right time, but just like cfdfireman1 explained, downshifting is going to be a mission. I advise that you throw it into neutral and use the brakes to slow down. Let us know what becomes of your car and what the problem was.

Quick Reply: Please help. Car is broke and need ideas to get it moving so I'm not stuck...