Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

When is a bigger fuel rail needed?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2012, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
on my stock motor i made 515 on a mustang dyno on 100 octane pump gas with a BR double pumper and 1000 cc injectors. stock rail, FPR, lines.

700 on emerys mustang dyno with my built motor on E85. FIC 2150's, BR double pumper, BR fuel rail, stock FPR, stock lines.

Last edited by psphinx81; Apr 5, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
the purpose of the fuel rail is to provide the same fuel pressure to each injector. a "restrictive" fuel rail causes progressively leaner afrs going from cyl #4 (rich) to #1 (lean). its a nasty issue because wideband afr in the downpipe is an average of all four cylinders, so wideband afr can look great while #1 can be running much leaner than #4.
The following users liked this post:
KiNg MaRtY (Jan 2, 2021)
Old May 3, 2013, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
My cylinder 1 piston cracked and chipped at the side. I am using the FIc 1450. I am using the stock fuel rail. How do I check if the Injectors are faulty or is it because of the fuel rail.
I am using a 6466 turbo.

Thanks
Old May 3, 2013, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KGB_KGB
How do I check if the Injectors are faulty
Send them to FIC for flowtest
Old Jun 12, 2014, 08:57 PM

Hey guys,

I want to build up my EVO to a 500 hp daily driver. I am looking at ID 1000 injectors for the upgrade. Anyone think I'm looking in the wrong area? Should I look for different injectors? Also, should I consider upgrading my fuel rail? Or would you guys say
Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
from what i know you can run stock till around 600 650hp maybe more. what your at now you dont need one
is accurate. Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Omgitsnicho
Hey guys,

I want to build up my EVO to a 500 hp daily driver. I am looking at ID 1000 injectors for the upgrade. Anyone think I'm looking in the wrong area? Should I look for different injectors? Also, should I consider upgrading my fuel rail? Or would you guys say

is accurate. Thanks!
Assuming you're talking dynojet numbers, id1000 injectors and a stock rail is plenty for 500whp.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by futurevowner
Assuming you're talking dynojet numbers, id1000 injectors and a stock rail is plenty for 500whp.
on pump gas.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by futurevowner
Yeah I was talking dynojet numbers. Sorry for not being more specific. Sweet! I was hoping I wouldn't have to upgrade the fuel rail unless I really had to.

Originally Posted by mrfred
on pump gas.
Thanks for saying this. I forgot to mention that. I want to make 500hp to the wheels on pump gas. I unfortunately can't conveniently get e85 in my area.

Last edited by Omgitsnicho; Jun 14, 2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by TurboTravis
Upgrade to a -6 feed line while you are in there. Best bet is Aeroquip pushloc, found here

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AER-FCN0615/

And ditch the filter that the double pumper comes with (I don't like barbs/clamps on high pressure applications. There are clamps that I trust, but a pain to remove when you want to change the filter) and go with this filter

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU

Rail

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...b6113fbf3c2022

Fuel line to rail adapter

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...b6113fbf3c2022

Stock return line/regulator is fine.
I know this is super old but I purchased the Buschur fuel rail but the link used in this post for the "fuel rail to line adapter" is the same link as the rail itself. I'm needing to know what adapter to use with the buschur fuel rail.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 08:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by newera.59fifty
I know this is super old but I purchased the Buschur fuel rail but the link used in this post for the "fuel rail to line adapter" is the same link as the rail itself. I'm needing to know what adapter to use with the buschur fuel rail.
The Buschur rail has the same connector as stock. If you are continuing to use the stock supply line, then no change is needed. If you are installing AN hose, then you need an adapter. Here's an example:

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...cat=151&page=1
Old Oct 28, 2014, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.extremepsi.com/store/prod...roductid=23977

Old Oct 28, 2014, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
the purpose of the fuel rail is to provide the same fuel pressure to each injector. a "restrictive" fuel rail causes progressively leaner afrs going from cyl #4 (rich) to #1 (lean). its a nasty issue because wideband afr in the downpipe is an average of all four cylinders, so wideband afr can look great while #1 can be running much leaner than #4.
Curiously, is there any testing to show this? I get the idea, just wondering at what power level this would be an issue.

Reading over this thread, I wonder if anyone has considered fuel system pulsation as a reason for weird fueling. The stock rail has a number of features to combat this (rubber feed line, inlet restrictor, flat profile, regulator on the end).

On a related / unrelated note, has anyone experienced boost leaks at injectors #2 & #3 due to the stock rail flexing? I'd replaced the seals and lubed them with Krytox and they still leak there. If I press the rail they quite down. I'm only testing to ~30 lbs.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nimpoc
Curiously, is there any testing to show this? I get the idea, just wondering at what power level this would be an issue. Reading over this thread, I wonder if anyone has considered fuel system pulsation as a reason for weird fueling. The stock rail has a number of features to combat this (rubber feed line, inlet restrictor, flat profile, regulator on the end). On a related / unrelated note, has anyone experienced boost leaks at injectors #2 & #3 due to the stock rail flexing? I'd replaced the seals and lubed them with Krytox and they still leak there. If I press the rail they quite down. I'm only testing to ~30 lbs.
If you were to install EGT probes in each runner of the manifold you would be able to tell if one cylinder is leaner than the others.

Also, one reason for switching to a different fuel rail is because the welds on the stock ones have broken in some cases.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 04:42 AM
Evolving Member

Would it be a waste fitting one, if your not pushing that power? Or is it a good mod to do for better fuel delivery?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoTurboTurk
Would it be a waste fitting one, if your not pushing that power? Or is it a good mod to do for better fuel delivery?
Some people might say it is a waste but as mrfred pointed out it will help distribute the pressure more evenly across all 4 injectors.
Also, you won't have to chance an OEM rail braking a weld.
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Aug 4, 2016)

Quick Reply: When is a bigger fuel rail needed?