Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

When is a bigger fuel rail needed?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Nimpoc
Curiously, is there any testing to show this? I get the idea, just wondering at what power level this would be an issue.

Reading over this thread, I wonder if anyone has considered fuel system pulsation as a reason for weird fueling. The stock rail has a number of features to combat this (rubber feed line, inlet restrictor, flat profile, regulator on the end).

On a related / unrelated note, has anyone experienced boost leaks at injectors #2 & #3 due to the stock rail flexing? I'd replaced the seals and lubed them with Krytox and they still leak there. If I press the rail they quite down. I'm only testing to ~30 lbs.
The only indicator I've seen of when an aftermarket rail is needed is testing by razorlab where switching from stock to aftermarket on a E85 powered Evo at about 510 whp on a Mustang Dyno netted about 20 whp.

I've been on an aftermarket rail for quite a while now, but I don't recall ever having a leak as long as the seals are seated correctly.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reviving the dead...

I have every bolt on imaginable (see signature) except a rail, and I'm around 400awhp on Kaizen's DynoDynamics. I've been toying with the idea of a rail but they told me it's not necessary, but they also didn't say anything about broken welds..

Last thing I want is all my engine bay mods to burn up. I have 67k miles now and have done big upgrades for about 30k miles.

I want aesthetic as well as function. AMS makes a nice black one but I am not completely sold on it...

Opinions??