Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Do I need an external wastegate??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need an external wastegate??

Hi all,

I've recently got a 3" tbe (cat-delete pipe, no restrictions in the front pipe) and a Gizzmo MS-IBC EBC installed. The issue is I can't seem to hold a steady boost. Through 4~5Krpm it holds fine at about 16~17 but as I reach the top end, the boost spikes over 21psi then fuel cut.

Is it possible this could be a boost controller issue? Or is this as expected on a stock turbo with free flowing exhaust? My air filter is stock with HKS panel filter.

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:16 AM
Evolved Member

I would venture to guess that you have more parameters to adjust on your boost controller to help deal with the boost spike. Have you done any tuning yet for your new mods?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
mine was doing the same thing..you should look over your plugs and injectors also your fuel pump!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by evilempire76
I would venture to guess that you have more parameters to adjust on your boost controller to help deal with the boost spike. Have you done any tuning yet for your new mods?
Hm, yeh I can set up a parameter for boost spike... but is it a boost spike not boost creep?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Revo15
mine was doing the same thing..you should look over your plugs and injectors also your fuel pump!
Oh really? What ended up being the problem? Also would that cause this problem only to happen at the top end?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

What I mean in regards to settings is that some boost controllers have gear dependent settings. So the boost can be tapered depending on which gear the car is in. Does this boost controller not have that?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stevolution84
....EBC installed....I can't seem to hold a steady boost. Through 4~5Krpm it holds fine at about 16~17 but as I reach the top end, the boost spikes over 21psi then fuel cut.....Is it possible this could be a boost controller issue? Or is this as expected on a stock turbo with free flowing exhaust?......

The creep/spike that you describe above...what gear is this happening in?

To answer your initial question, you do not need an external wastegate. Based on the way that you have described it, your Evo still remains essentially stock. So, there is no need to go to the trouble and expense of an external gate in your situation.

Last edited by sparky; Nov 17, 2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

As evilempire76, suggests above, you need a tune for the modifications that you have already made to the car. This is evident from the fact that you are experiencing fuel cut at 21-22 PSI.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

What year Evo is yours? Is your turbo configured with the 9.8cm turbine housing?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

All you have to say is wastegate and sparky will come a runnin'

Batman is to the bat symbol as sparky is to the word wastegate.

I put my money on the EBC being your problem.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, BOLTZ, I am always hungry at this hour of the morning. I agree with you that the OP is probably experiencing some form of EBC, programming/interface or physical connectivity issue related to or induced by that boost control device. You probably can guess what I am gonna prescribe for his condition, huh?

Last edited by sparky; Nov 17, 2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

You guys are cracking me up
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

In the meantime I would advise replacing the EBC with a quality MBC until the cause of the issue is pinpointed. In general, the simplicity of the MBC functioning as it does w/o intrusive programming and levels, scramble features and such etc. makes it easier to isolate the cause of these basic boost control problems as there is no magic hand stirring the pot.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by evilempire76
What I mean in regards to settings is that some boost controllers have gear dependent settings. So the boost can be tapered depending on which gear the car is in. Does this boost controller not have that?
No, it doesn't. Just has gain, duty cycle, spike-stop. Theoretically simple and according to them, the solenoid performs better than dual ones.

Oh that reminds me... when I was screwing in the nipple on the solenoid, there was no rubber gromets at the end, just metal to metal. Is it possible the leaks from the solenoid nipples are causing fluctuations??? Or is normal not to have rubber gromets when screwing in solenoid nipples?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by sparky
The creep/spike that you describe above...what gear is this happening in?

To answer your initial question, you do not need an external wastegate. Based on the way that you have described it, your Evo still remains essentially stock. So, there is no need to go to the trouble and expense of an external gate in your situation.
3rd or 4th gear. Yeh, I thought so too...

Quick Reply: Do I need an external wastegate??