Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bogging and popping noise..

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could be a lot of things.. make sure it's not just bad gas.. it happend to me once this summer on a road trip!!.. as soon as i tanked up at my trusted gas station it was fine again..

it was very similar to your description!!!
Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by superz
Kenny,
stop using those octane boosters, sometimes they create deposits on the plugs. Your problem sound like its a misfire, if you hear popping then its misfire. A timing retard is almost not noticable, in other words it will feel less powerful but not a dip at a certain rpm. Also, you may have water in the tank. Change that pump asap, its cheap insurance . Laterz slowboy, lol,lol.
Yup.. stop using octane boosters... bad bad bad..

Timing retards are noticeable... if you have a good feel for your car... but of course, if you dont.. your car can hit a brick wall and you wouldnt know
Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

Kenny,
stop using those octane boosters, sometimes they create deposits on the plugs. Your problem sound like its a misfire, if you hear popping then its misfire. A timing retard is almost not noticable, in other words it will feel less powerful but not a dip at a certain rpm. Also, you may have water in the tank. Change that pump asap, its cheap insurance . Laterz slowboy, lol,lol.

I found the problem. Ever since I got the coilpacks replaced by the dealer, I have been getting misfiring codes. I know that you mentioned that you got it once in awhile, but I was getting it nearly everyday. So while getting ready to check the plugs, and do a leakdown just to make sure everything was ok, my friend milton brought by his voltmeter, and we checked the coilpacks resistance. Stock according to the Mitsu FSM should be anywhere from 8.5-11.5. One coilpack was showing a resistance of 12.5. And the other was showing was 14.5.

It appears like I wasnt getting the proper spark therefore running way too rich, and getting a bad misfire.

Ken
Old Jan 11, 2004, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

* double post*

Last edited by Illrunya; Jan 11, 2004 at 11:17 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 11:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kenny,
that's not the problem, trust me. 1 ohm is does not make a difference. The resistance will fluctuate when hot, it may be lower or may be higher.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

So what is your take on the situation then? I changed my plugs and made sure they are gapped properly, and I STILL get the bogging. So the plugs are out of the question.

Ken

Last edited by Illrunya; Jan 12, 2004 at 12:06 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:00 AM
EvoM Guru

if you already swapped plugs, new tank of gas, then your problem could very well be the stock gas pump is not flowing enough fuel. Maybe because of the colder weather your car is requiring a bit more fuel and therefore causing a fuel flow concern. Try this, go out and drive your car on the highway off boost at those same rpms that are giving you problems. If it drives perfect then your problem may very well be fuel flow. Throw Sam's pump in there. By the way, did he get the cams installed already?
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Nope...he hasnt done it yet. He still has to get a few things. Im gonna give ya a call later today.

Ken
Old Jan 12, 2004, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

if you already swapped plugs, new tank of gas, then your problem could very well be the stock gas pump is not flowing enough fuel. Maybe because of the colder weather your car is requiring a bit more fuel and therefore causing a fuel flow concern. Try this, go out and drive your car on the highway off boost at those same rpms that are giving you problems. If it drives perfect then your problem may very well be fuel flow. Throw Sam's pump in there. By the way, did he get the cams installed already?
Doh, how can he drive at those RPMS off boost? Take out the turbine?

Probably changing the fuel pump would solve the problem.. but the problem was not the fuel pump in the 1st place.. the problem was over agressive tuning that is not suited for the fuel pump... how about this... ask al or shiv or whoever it is who tuned your car to tune your car to 600 hp... then change the parts to suit the tune... doh....
Old Jan 12, 2004, 06:44 PM

Resistance does not fluctuate at random

As heat rises so does resistance (the way thermistors work)

So if his Coil pack is showing 14.5 ohms resistance with the car cold and spec is 8.5 to 11.5 that means that it will go higher during normal operating temperature and WOT temperatures .
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by Angel Of Mercy

Probably changing the fuel pump would solve the problem.. but the problem was not the fuel pump in the 1st place.. the problem was over agressive tuning that is not suited for the fuel pump... how about this... ask al or shiv or whoever it is who tuned your car to tune your car to 600 hp... then change the parts to suit the tune... doh....
you got it !
Old Jan 13, 2004, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:11 PM

are you kidding me?

do you even know how a fuel pump works?

what would a retune have to do with his fuel pump?

people bashing a product that they dont even fully understand
Old Jan 13, 2004, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Stock

what would a retune have to do with his fuel pump?

people bashing a product that they dont even fully understand
Errr.. my point exactly.. nothing... why fit a fuel pump in there when the problem is over agressive tuning?

How a fuel pump works? Errr... it pumps fuel? Doh!

How a fuel regulator works? Err... its regulates fuel? Doh!

Bashing? Errr... Doh!

Quick Reply: Bogging and popping noise..