Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bogging and popping noise..

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2004, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OH I see

Please explain exactly how "overaggressive tuning" is causing his problems?
Old Jan 13, 2004, 07:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doh, Err? . Mercy
Old Jan 13, 2004, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Overaggressive tuning eh? Care to explain how you figure my tune is overly aggressive? Or are you just pulling your **** out of your ***.

Ken
Old Jan 13, 2004, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Sigh.. if you dont understand how to tune an engine... go research on the net... Dont ask me to explain.... too long winded. You can say and do whatever u want to defend your tunes.. i dont really care.. all i am saying is that the ECU is retarding timing because at some point of your revs... it is detecting detonations... and everytime it does, it retards timing a few degrees so it doesnt happen again... there are lots of factors involved... if you want to know about detonation.. read this http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/aug2003/techtotech.cfm

If your car isnt kitted up to take the hp increase and the associated factors, then you are slowly killing your car.... enuff said.. thank you and good luck.

(note, sigh: look at his chart... yes he has high hp.. but he has dips at two points.. if al can push up those dips.. then sure... his tuning is fine.. however, if he can't.. means that the engine/fuel/compression/boost/cooling variables is not allowing him a smooth ride up the hp curve... hence the bogging... why do you think car manfacturers dont sell you a car with pulls like that? why are their curves all smooth... why is the stock pull smooth.. )

<-- talking out of my ***... smell the fart!

Last edited by Angel Of Mercy; Jan 13, 2004 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:13 PM

Well that sounds like a good theory but
if it where the tune the problem would have been present all along since the day he got the flash

not months and thousands of miles later

the problem might be in the ignition system

since when he bogs he gets black smoke out the tail .
Old Jan 14, 2004, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Stock
Well that sounds like a good theory but
if it where the tune the problem would have been present all along since the day he got the flash

not months and thousands of miles later

the problem might be in the ignition system

since when he bogs he gets black smoke out the tail .
It was probably there all the time except only now he noticed it... its all in his chart... just dyno the car again... with himself as the driver and the operator sitting next to him... that way he can tell if the bogging down are actually the dips i'm refering to.. once and for all....

BTW, regarding the theory bit, FYI, I tuned my own 7 (dyno and road) from mod 1 to mods now and more... i know what he is feeling... believe me.. its igniting timing retarding.... its not easy getting a smooth curve... and especially if his mapping his not custom, the curves will be even worst... For all you know, the tune may have been for a higher octane fuel...
Old Jan 14, 2004, 06:27 PM

The stock dyno curve is alot less smooth and has many dips like that one

do you mean to say that timing is being pulled there as well?

I doubt that he never noticed until now
Old Jan 14, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Stock is a lot less smooth? Hmm.. for the 3 Evo 7s (1 mine and 1 i helped tune and 1 stock).. stock has always been smooth... maybe the dyno is a bit out... are the wheels running at the same speed? (Front and back)... Try find a dyno dynamics dyno...

Dont believe the people if they say its normal because its not...

I'll get my friend to post his chart.. our curves are relatively smooth... and we dont get dips if its tuned properly....
Old Jan 14, 2004, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Illrunya
A slipping clutch is definitely out of the question.

Yes, as you described regarding timing retard sounds similar to what is happening. But I still wonder what the popping noise I heard is. I was thinking it may have been audible detonation, but it was more of a pop, than a sound of marbles as some may have described.

Btw, when I got tuned by Al with the Dynoflash, he tuned my A/F pretty conservatively. Here is my dynosheet and A/F.

Im wondering of a combination of bad gas, cold weather, and 19/20 psi @ redline is causing my headaches.

Ken

Ken,

Ask Al to retune and reflash your AF so that the bottom end is straight without the dips and i guarantee your bogging will stop...

Trust me... see those dips in AF? Its where your lean mixtures suddenly become rich and lose power... ask him to lean out the appropriate correction before and at the bogging rpm areas so that the AF is relatively linear.. plus you dont have to run as lean on the top rpm areas because you are have already reached peak power before and have extra lean mixtures there will only have detrimental effects on your engine..

If he retunes so that the AF is linear and you still get bogging, I'll publicly apologise here and call myself an ***.. but be sure to post your power curves and af after the retune...

Recommend getting yourself a knock sensor...

Last edited by Angel Of Mercy; Jan 14, 2004 at 08:10 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:21 AM

Here's my relatively smooth curve of the stock run vs the safc2 tuned plotted over AFR.
Attached Thumbnails Bogging and popping noise..-dyno1.017.hpvsafr.gif  
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Angel Of Mercy

Ken,

Ask Al to retune and reflash your AF so that the bottom end is straight without the dips and i guarantee your bogging will stop...

Trust me... see those dips in AF? Its where your lean mixtures suddenly become rich and lose power... ask him to lean out the appropriate correction before and at the bogging rpm areas so that the AF is relatively linear.. plus you dont have to run as lean on the top rpm areas because you are have already reached peak power before and have extra lean mixtures there will only have detrimental effects on your engine..

If he retunes so that the AF is linear and you still get bogging, I'll publicly apologise here and call myself an ***.. but be sure to post your power curves and af after the retune...

Recommend getting yourself a knock sensor...
Although I am pretty sure its an ignition problem that is wrong my car, I will get in touch with Al as Im pretty sure that those dips are even more exposed with my ignition problems.

Ken