Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

timing belt

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing belt

ok guys so i just replaced my t belt and tensioner i was wandering when pull the grenade pin it goes in and out easy then wont go in after a few seconds. I know i tightend it a little more than usual but due to the belt being new and they normaliy stretch, so ive heard not much but a bit... But will it ever go back to where i can put the grenade pin in and out? I just dont want to over tighten it.......
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
In other words: you had it just right and then you messed with it.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The belts do stretch, but that's what the tensioner is for. Loosen it a bit to get that pin back in there. Are you doing the balance shaft belt as well? We've got some HKS timing and balancer shaft belts in stock right now.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya thats what I meant the belt is due too stretch so I tightend it a bit more just so when it does stretch it will be right on point! and no I did the balance shaft delete a while back lol
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
heres how you get perfect tension everytime and you can thank me later.

using the special tool tension down the hydraulic tensioner as far as it can go slowly (with the pin out obviously).. never adjust it fast or you can blow the hydraulics out in the tensioner.

one hole of the tensioner pulley will be facing 3pm the other 6pm. they have another special tool to grab onto the pulley holes as well but i just use a big screw driver and pry against the pulley and the waterpump.

tighten the tensioner bolt around 37-40lb/ft while putting extreme pressure on the pulley by prying between the pump and pulley.

once done slowly remove the special tensioner rod and turn the crank 6 full rotations until everything lines up again and be amazed you'll get perfect tension everytime..

meaning you will be able to push the grenade pin in and out with ease.

NEVER rotate the engine with the pin still in the hydraulic tensioner, the hydraulic tensioner constantly adjusts as the engine rotates.

let me give you another tip:

mark the timing belt 2 places on the exhaust cam and 1 place on the intake cam then 2 places on the crank.. if you're ever taking off and on a timing belt this makes it soooooo easy to get things lined up the first time. just realign the markings and you're good to go.

Also ...... NEVER try to retighten or check tq on the tensioner pulley bolt after you have proper tension.. you will throw it right out of alignment the minute you put pressure on the bolt.

and one more tip and explanation:

You'll notice as you tighten the tensioner pulley bolt the pulley will loosen the hydraulics every time, so putting max tension on the hydraulic via the special rod tool will fill in your little error of loosening when you go to tighten that tensioner bolt.

hopefully my information makes someone elses life easier.

Last edited by tscompusa; Nov 19, 2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
In other words: you had it just right and then you messed with it.
not true. if you have it just right it wont change.. if he removed the pin and it was no longer right after 3 seconds that means it was never right to begin with. you have to keep in mind were dealing with a hydraulic system.. its going to adjust itself slowly.