Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Burning Oil- catch can install help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
... it would pressurize your can and your crankcase and not hold boost. A good can will easily hold up to and more than 50-PSI. There is no need to add a check valve the PCV is a check valve and absolutely no need or reason to remove your the PCV.
you are definitely very confused. there is no check valve when you run a independent line from the intake manifold straight to the can and that's where you want a check valve so the intake manifold doesn't pressurize the can.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:56 AM
Former Sponsor

why wouldn't you want to "pressurize the catch can"? Buy a good one and it won't bother it a bit.
you don't want to pressurize extra space and a catch can at that when you can avoid it with a $2 check valve. if the catch cans vented what happens? boost leak? yes.. if its sealed no it wont leak, but it will pressurize oil in the can and end up making a mess.

also i didn't say anything about removing the pcv.. i use a pcv on my car. it helps driveability.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good catch can won't be bothered by the pressure.. I'm not concerned with boost going into my DC3 setup the loss is negligible.

Last edited by cfdfireman1; Nov 25, 2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:09 PM
Former Sponsor

A good catch can won't be bothered by the pressure.. I'm not concerned with boost going into my DC3 setup the loss is negligible.
You're missing the entire point. its fine to run pressure through the can when its working with the can.. what you're doing is not working with the can.. you're just sending tons of pressure into it prematurely via the intake manifold.. that is not what it was designed to do.. and its slinging oil all over the place making the can less efficient not to mention probably destroying the internal baffling.

Contact Saikou Michi if you dont believe me.

there is an IN and OUT inlet/outlet on the can for a reason.. it has a specific design function.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

I understand what your trying to say but I think you're confused about the construction or operation of the Saikou Michi can.

The pressure from the intake manifold that you're talking about will come in from the outlet side, top. Any oil in the can is on on the other end bottom and separated by the "baffling" that won't be hurt in anyway by pressure.

As for "slinging oil all over the place" where's it going to go? Back into the valvecover past the now closed PCV or is it going to jump up past all the baffling and into the intake? The way the PCV valve allows air to move is metered and directional depending on pressure. If you neglect the system and allow the can to get full yes you'll have a problem check valve or not.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well tell u what theres no point in arguing man, do it your way at the expense of not listening to tscompusa or myself, and run the dual can with no check valve between pcv valve and intake manifold after can. And once you pressurize your setup enough and blow a line or possibly worse, maybe youll take some people on here more seriously. The line from cam sensor back to intake pipe isnt an issue as its primarily used only as a vent an the vacuum is pulled from the intake pipe. The issue is your setup between pcv valve and intake mani, because imo by not having a check valve running if your pcv valve fails, and you go wot full boost, theres a chance that crankcase pressure will go to your dual can and possibly fail on the side that, thats hooked up too is what were saying. But if you think that mesh will save that part from being destroyed, then hey itll be considered owner negligence. But hey no point in arguing you have all the answers. Good luck and hope it dont happen cuz that can cause a huge mess. So back on track, OP have you installed your can yet.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:14 AM
Former Sponsor

"outlet" yet you're pressurizing air INTO it. the wrong way.. yet you insist on thinking its ok to do so.. as i said theres an inlet and outlet for a reason. ask the guy who made the can what is best to do.. he is gonna say check valves as well.

Last edited by tscompusa; Nov 27, 2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:19 AM
Former Sponsor

I understand what your trying to say but I think you're confused about the construction or operation of the Saikou Michi can.

The pressure from the intake manifold that you're talking about will come in from the outlet side, top. Any oil in the can is on on the other end bottom and separated by the "baffling" that won't be hurt in anyway by pressure.

As for "slinging oil all over the place" where's it going to go? Back into the valvecover past the now closed PCV or is it going to jump up past all the baffling and into the intake? The way the PCV valve allows air to move is metered and directional depending on pressure. If you neglect the system and allow the can to get full yes you'll have a problem check valve or not.
im not confused on how it works.

and yes that baffling will slowly fall apart getting hammered by extreme pressure.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

You guys that don't think this needs a check valve...what corner sells the stuff you're on?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
well I didnt install it yet. I have a simple catchcan I thought I could just throw on there but now you guys are saying that its not going to help with oil loss and I need a dual setup so Im just going to wait on it until I can buy a better one I guess. I do need to figure out how Im burning the oil though because to me its not normal. I take a 3 hour trip through the mountains and I have to add a little oil before I head back home. Yea I rev higher and go into boost more(cant help it when I have 3 others in the car and the air is thin as hell), but I still dont think this is normal.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Also, previous owner had the turbo replaced at a Mitsu dealership. They did this because the car had a boost issue(would not hold more than 13-15 psi). Boost would spike to 19ish and bounce back and forth between 13 and 19. I added a boost controller and now boost holds fine. I hope the turbo is not the problem since its brand new.
Im trying to find a part that I think BR makes that helps with burning oil. Let me get a link.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.maperformance.com/kracka-...acuum-kit.html this?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Show me one Saikou Michi can that has failed. How is stainless steel wool going to fail by being pressurized? I've run his setup for about 5 years on 2 evos at up to 32 PSI with no check valve and never had an issue with it. Use proper hoses and secure them with good quality clamps and your all good.

Well I've reconsidered and have decided to install check valves in my power steering, coolant and all my fuel hoses.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Show me one Saikou Michi can that has failed. How is stainless steel wool going to fail by being pressurized? I've run his setup for about 5 years on 2 evos at up to 32 PSI with no check valve and never had an issue with it. Use proper hoses and secure them with good quality clamps and your all good.

Well I've reconsidered and have decided to install check valves in my power steering, coolant and all my fuel hoses.
i wasn't even gonna respond after the dumb stuff you closed your argument with.. but think about it like this. if your can had a vent on it, would you continue to pressurize it or use a check valve? im guessing you would still not use a check valve and vent all your boost out the can?

not sure if you see where im getting at.. but the fact is if the can wasnt sealed it would be a BOOST LEAK because something is pressurizing it that shouldn't be in the WRONG DIRECTION. i dont care if it holds 1000psi, thats not the point. you're using it wrong and that's the bottom line.

and no it doesn't surprise me it holds 32psi.. the welds on my can are very good as well, so they should be the same on yours.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Yes if it was vented to atmosphere it would be a boost leak, it's not, what's your point? The volume of these cans is negligible it doesn't bother me if I lose 1 nano second on spool up.
I thought the argument was about the direction of flow, Does your can on the other end of the valve cover have a check valve? Why not? Because it flows both directions and oil doesn't fly all over the place it's designed so the oil stays in the bottom. Yes I guess I'm using these cans the wrong way and that's to catch oil and they work for that. What are you using the cans for?

Last edited by cfdfireman1; Nov 28, 2011 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Burning Oil- catch can install help