Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Service engine soon light

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2004, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service engine soon light

i dont know what to do, i have searched an found that the gas cap might be off but i checkted that twice. now i dont even know whats wrong, about 1 month ago i put my aem intake, and i doubt thats the reason. i dont know what do you guys think? im gona try and take my car to service at mitsu. i dunno

Please
Old Jan 10, 2004, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

If you checked your gas cap, disconnect your negative battery terminal for about 5-10 minutes then restart. While you're at it, check all of your hoses around the intake.

If it's still on when you restart the car, talk to Mitsu.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

I would take it back to the dealer to find out what the code is. It could be 1 of 1000 things. You just never know. You didn't do any other mods right?
Old Jan 10, 2004, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It seems like everything sets off the damn CEL on these cars. I am tempted to take the instument cluster out and remove the bulb (not hard to do) but then if it is a serious light I would not see it. Of course it is on all of the time anyway so there could be a serious light and I would never know it.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

I think some ECU's have got bugs from the factory and that is why is supposed to be working on a reflash.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

It's probably not the intake but in case it is, don't go to Mitsu first. Have the code pulled at Autzone or somewhere like that. They will do it for free but Mitsu charges like $30-40. It $80 at Merchants. At least that's how it is in my area. I've had 3 different SES lights. 1) O2 sensor heater failure from going catless, 2) engine overboost condition from running too rich, and 3) O2 sensor inactive from improper tuning after fmic. All problems were fixed without taking it to Mitsu. My $.02
Old Jan 10, 2004, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would check the code.. you got BOV? i had CE light with VTA Forge bov...
Old Jan 10, 2004, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

no JUST aem intake. i will try the negative thing for 15 min. and see what happens. im gona also think about not takeing it to mitsu
Old Jan 10, 2004, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

if it comes back on get the code pulled at autozone for free first!!!! seriously, then you'll know whether you need to take to Mitsu.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by en1gma19
if it comes back on get the code pulled at autozone for free first!!!! seriously, then you'll know whether you need to take to Mitsu.
what exactly do i tell them at autozone? code for what? can i have details
Old Jan 10, 2004, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Vegas Boy, Just like everyone says take your car to autozone and get the code pulled. You AEM Intake can trigger a cell light becuase it flows much more air than your stock intake. When doing this it will cause your car to run richer unless it is retuned so it is possible. Dont get to worried about it becuase like everyone says the EVO ECU is very sensitive, just about any change will set it off. Get it pulled before you take it to mitsu becuase if you don't you will just get a lecture and a high bill.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by vegasboy301

what exactly do i tell them at autozone? code for what? can i have details
just walk in and ask someone to pull a check engine code. tell them it's obd2 and they'll get a scanner and pull the code. The plug is under the driver's side dash near the center console. that's what i've done for every code i've thrown, i've never been to mitsu and i've never paid a cent.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by GTVEVO
Vegas Boy, Just like everyone says take your car to autozone and get the code pulled. You AEM Intake can trigger a cell light becuase it flows much more air than your stock intake. When doing this it will cause your car to run richer unless it is retuned so it is possible. Dont get to worried about it becuase like everyone says the EVO ECU is very sensitive, just about any change will set it off. Get it pulled before you take it to mitsu becuase if you don't you will just get a lecture and a high bill.
Ummm... No. No, it won't set off a code for that.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

dont worry guys, i just did the displug the negative on my battery, and the light is gone for now, hopefully its gone for ever!!! thanks a LOT guys
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:21 PM

It might be...

I just put on an intake on my Evo as well, however I didn't have money to get the AEM one, so I just got MAS adapter for the Eclipse GSX turbo and bought a little cheap cone filter and still works...I'm planning on getting a better one soon though.ANYWAYS....as soon as I slapped the cone filter on I too got the check engine light. here's what I did:

1) checked the MAS connection....it was still a bit loose so I took it off and made sure that connection was secured and fastened correctly, because any open circuit will cause the Check Engine ligiht to go on.

2) I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery and waited for a good 5 minutes.

Made sure everything was good to go and fired her up and the dummy light went *POOF* gone

BTW for anyone looking for just a little somethng to get they're mod bug off them temporarly....order just the MAS adapter for an eclipse GSX for like $10.00 and get a 114mm filter for like $20.00. The respond you get is just as good if not better than a filter system that will cost +200.00 We can get the good **** later. Plus you still hear the PSSSHH sound better!!!

Quick Reply: Service engine soon light