Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Time sert oil pan repair questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Time sert oil pan repair questions

Searching but not seeing the info I'm looking for...

What's the official time sert part number used for the evos?

- Do you have to remove the oil pan to do this and if not how do you deal with any shavings getting in the pan?

- Does the insert back out or get loose at all?

- Can the insert hinder complete draining of oil if it's too long insider the pan?

Thinking of trying this as opposed to re-tapping the pan with a larger oil nut.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:43 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would definitely remove the oil pan if you are going to attempt the install...
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have used timesert inserts to repair a Jetta TDI oil pan, which are well known for stripping aluminium threads with a steel bolt. The best way to do the job is removing the pan. In emergency circumstances, where the pan can't be removed, it can be done without doing so, by coating the drill and the tap threads with grease, which catches most of the metal shavings, and then flushing the oil pan several times with overfilled oil and filtering the shavings. Don't start the motor or use the flushing oil to actually drive New filter and fresh oil, drive it a few miles, then change the oil and filter again... It's much easier to line up the drill and tap with the pan off the car, and you get a better job being able to reach the angles just right, but you can certainly do a serviceable job the other way. The timesert insert itself is a very good repair, and makes the pan stronger than the factory OEM version. I don't know why the factory (VW) did not do it this way in the first place....

Last edited by CO_VR4; Nov 23, 2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I assume you are talking about a stripped nut on the oil return??
if so those are just nuts welded to inside of pan. a timesert is not gonna work even if pan was off car. professional fix would be to remove pan and weld a new nut on. time saving fix would be to glue some strong magnets under the pan where shavings will fall. and tap the stripped nut for slightly larger thread size (9mm). do use grease on tap to minimize shaving contamination. flushing pan is not gonna get much of the shavings out. its just gonna move them around. better to trap them with a magnet and remove them next time pan needs to come off.