Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Street/Drag Trans setup

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cursedsm
I disagree with the statement above but that is because they are a local company. And although they are good guys and do most of the time good work they do cut corners.
"They"? I was under the impression that Jon doesn't have any employees.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
By cut corners you mean they detail every gear.... then yeah.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
If you do your research you'll find that TRE offers the most complete, thorough, and best engineered solution for your transmission, transfer case, and rear differential.

No one else can compete with Jon@ TRE because they don't have the tools to perform high end processes, don't have the education, or simply don't have the experience.

In my mind there is only 1 that stands above the rest.
Is TRE really that much better than Shep?

I feel Shep has proven his products more than TRE has.

-Bink
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

TRE magnafluxes, shotpeens, and details everything. The detail he goes into about what all he does is astronomical compared to everyone else. All of the other shop's websites say "we'll rebuild your transmission for $XXXX.XX" and that's it. It's that reason that I'll only send my drivetrain work to him.

I've spoken to both Jon and Sheptrans on the phone. Jon talked to me for at least 45 mins, and he did 95% of the talking. When I called Sheptrans, I got some guy on the phone who really wasn't interested in answering my questions unless I was actually going to send the transmission to him first.

Go and do a search on "shep transmissions" and read all the threads about people complaining about still having notchy shifting.

Last edited by bigben; Nov 30, 2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by binky
Is TRE really that much better than Shep?

I feel Shep has proven his products more than TRE has.

-Bink
what do the others do to strengthen them? they sound like a stock rebuild with some oiling mods to make them shift better. tre shot peens a lot of the critical components to improve the strength of them.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by bigben
"They"? I was under the impression that Jon doesn't have any employees.
He use to thats all I am gonna say.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by bigben
it. It's that reason that I'll only send my drivetrain work to him.

I've spoken to both Jon and Sheptrans on the phone. Jon talked to me for at least 45 mins, and he did 95% of the talking. When I called Sheptrans, I got some guy on the phone who really wasn't interested in answering my questions unless I was actually going to send the transmission to him first.
I know the guys at Sheps shop pretty damn well. And there is a reason they are like that. Not to be dicks to people, its to weed out the people tring to get **** for free and cut corners. I am not gonna argue with people about TRE. Like I said I know people that have worked with him, for him, in the past. I talk to the people who rebuild there trannys all the time and when you find out what isn't done in there "performance" trannys its scarey. Even Jon himself will tell you if you want a good race tranny go with Shep. If you want a good rebuilt tranny go with his. You don't believe me call him and ask. Ask him why you should go with a TRE tranny for racing over a Shep.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is no good trans for these cars, if you want to go faster than 9.5 and do it consistently then you bought the wrong car, these tranny's are weak and break all the time, junk, that's why I'm keeping my car at such a low power #.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow this thread went downhill fast
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRE
There is no good trans for these cars, if you want to go faster than 9.5 and do it consistently then you bought the wrong car, these tranny's are weak and break all the time, junk, that's why I'm keeping my car at such a low power #.
so the transmissions are junk because they cant take 9 second runs forever?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc

I broke a brand new 4th gear on highway pull with the BB Black at just 29 psi, pathetic. I see people breaking them all the time even with less power.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRE
I broke a brand new 4th gear on highway pull with the BB Black at just 29 psi, pathetic. I see people breaking them all the time even with less power.
the cars left the factory with under 300hp. they do pretty good in the grand scheme of things. maybe if that 4th gear was shot peened, it wouldnt have broke.....
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
I know the guys at Sheps shop pretty damn well. And there is a reason they are like that. Not to be dicks to people, its to weed out the people tring to get **** for free and cut corners. I am not gonna argue with people about TRE. Like I said I know people that have worked with him, for him, in the past. I talk to the people who rebuild there trannys all the time and when you find out what isn't done in there "performance" trannys its scarey. Even Jon himself will tell you if you want a good race tranny go with Shep. If you want a good rebuilt tranny go with his. You don't believe me call him and ask. Ask him why you should go with a TRE tranny for racing over a Shep.
How is being a good proactive possible future customer and wanting information as to why I should go with them instead of another shop "trying to get **** for free and cutting corners"? I'm not asking either one of the shops to tell me their secrets of their trade, I just wanna know what services they offer. TRE told me what he offered, and Sheptrans didn't not. Sheptrans told me to send them the tranny then they'd discuss anything further. Seems like $ lost in my book.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc

Also OP wants a 9 second full weight car, yes doable but will break all the time.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

One thing I will recommend for keeping the trans alive is put in a new fresh Tilton carbon clutch and keep it fresh.

Quick Reply: Street/Drag Trans setup