Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Street/Drag Trans setup

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRE
Also OP wants a 9 second full weight car, yes doable but will break all the time.
i agree, if i was building a 9 second drag car an evo wouldnt be in my top 5.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
i agree, if i was building a 9 second drag car an evo wouldnt be in my top 5.

Couple of months ago I saw an 8 second TT mustang on eBay for $25k, and it was streetable, had an auto, guy had over $40k in it, sounded like a good deal, now that's a drag car! Give it to me for a month with a good budget and we'd have some fun
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by King Mitsubishi
For an evo - a little direction would be nice on a trans/diff setup for use with a higher HP application. This would be a 9 second evo build. Full weight, but I'm open to running a drag radial or slick. What companies would I contact and what kind of pricing is out there?
I would contact STM. Shawna's 9sec full weight street car should be proof enough. They deal with Buschur Racing a lot. Oh, and TRE did the tranny work on that car too, just sayin.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my tranny built by sheptrans and they were great to deal with. I have the evo 9 1st and 5th. They are very helpful and had great turn around. I would like to deal with more people like sheptrans when it comes to service/buying parts. just my 2 cents.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any time I called Jon or emailed him, totally MIA I think he replied back to me once, definitely was nice in the email. But he was very difficult to get a hold of.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

I currently have a shep trans and after spending 2 k . It's more notchy than stock. Yes shep went 7s and thats wild but My car doesn't go 7s. It is daily driven and I just need it to shift smooth and take the occasional wot runs on my favorite roads. Now debating on who I am going to get to rebuild it.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 06:10 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by GGevo921
my opinion on best driveline setup for drag racing, you can agree or disagree with me is TRE Stage 2.5 with evo 9 1st evo, evo 8 3rd and 4th gear with HKS 4.11. Add a built shep 04 RS non lsd transfer case with a quaife diff and AWD Aluminum D2 driveshaft and youll have one of the nicest drivelines and great setup for drag. Just my .02. Best of luck with build.
This will pretty much be my exact setup except I have a Shep trans with IX 1st & 5th gears, VIII 2nd-4th gears & 4.11 final drive, billet output & other goodies...Sending my non-acd t-case to Shep soon for his stage 2 with a Quaife diff...AWD driveshaft is in the garage...Still trying to decide on a clutch though.

OP, like others have said in this thread...call around...talk to all the suggested trans companies...Tell them what your goals are for the car & what it is used for...They will make some suggestions & give you pricing. Make sure to ask the different trans companies what clutch & gear oil they "recommend" to use with their trans. Good luck with your purchase!
Old Dec 2, 2011, 06:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo3573
I currently have a shep trans and after spending 2 k . It's more notchy than stock. Yes shep went 7s and thats wild but My car doesn't go 7s. It is daily driven and I just need it to shift smooth and take the occasional wot runs on my favorite roads. Now debating on who I am going to get to rebuild it.
Actually Shep went 7s with his dogbox not a staged tranny. If your driving with a dog box on the street may I ask why?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my car is street/drag, makes 700 on a mustang dyno.. my setup:

buschur trans
buschur t-case
stock rear diff
QM twin disk

dont have a single problem!
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

How many miles on your setup?

Originally Posted by psphinx81
my car is street/drag, makes 700 on a mustang dyno.. my setup:

buschur trans
buschur t-case
stock rear diff
QM twin disk

dont have a single problem!
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

What I meant by that is, everyone says its Better than other shops for that reason..

[/B]
Originally Posted by cursedsm
Actually Shep went 7s with his dogbox not a staged tranny. If your driving with a dog box on the street may I ask why?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 03:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by B.J.@ToxicFab
This will pretty much be my exact setup except I have a Shep trans with IX 1st & 5th gears, VIII 2nd-4th gears & 4.11 final drive, billet output & other goodies...Sending my non-acd t-case to Shep soon for his stage 2 with a Quaife diff...AWD driveshaft is in the garage...Still trying to decide on a clutch though.

OP, like others have said in this thread...call around...talk to all the suggested trans companies...Tell them what your goals are for the car & what it is used for...They will make some suggestions & give you pricing. Make sure to ask the different trans companies what clutch & gear oil they "recommend" to use with their trans. Good luck with your purchase!

have you thought of having the jdm 5th gear ratio?