Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Street/Drag Trans setup

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Street/Drag Trans setup

Hello,

I'm mostly a V8 guy but looking into buying an evo and would like some advice on transmissions for a drag setup that will be driven on the street. My current car is a V8 TT Corvette and most guys with the high HP stuff life myself end up having to make changes to both the trans and rear to make them live at the track.

For an evo - a little direction would be nice on a trans/diff setup for use with a higher HP application. This would be a 9 second evo build. Full weight, but I'm open to running a drag radial or slick. What companies would I contact and what kind of pricing is out there?

Thanks,

Conrad
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Give Jack at www.Jackstransmissions.com a call. He has done quite a bit of work for me and my friends.

There are quite a few options so i would just search and see what you come up with and go with what route you want to take. Good luck.

Aaron
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Okay, you're going to receive many opinions. Like the above poster, the Colorado guys rely on Jacks with great success, no personal experience with Jacks here so I can't comment. Your other options are TRE, Shep Trans, and Buschur Racing. I personally have a Buschur transmission with the Evo9 first and fifth gears. There is no best transmission builder, there's just the fact that different shops use techniques that other shops don't. It'll come down to whoever offers the fastest turn around time, whichever meets your budget, and probably whoever is closer.

There's a lot of information here on this very subject. You're best bet would be digging for that information.

The best of luck with you're build and I hope you find the information you're looking for.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Shep tranny all the way for a tranny, and if you can tollerate shifting into 5th on the track stay with stock gearing. Either that or talk to John and ask him what he suggests.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Check these guys out. They supply more than half the community with their built engines and have been in the game since day one. They also do tranny work also.

http://www.buschurracing.com/
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys. The Evo's are a totally different ballgame to me so information helps!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:59 PM

Also - what usually breaks first in the driveline on these cars?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 03:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Well first thing you have to remember is, you can't drive it like a rwd v8. I know I had to get use to an awd car when I went from my camaro to the talon and even talon to evo. You can't dump the clutch you have to feather it out. If you get use to driving it and treat it well it should last for a bit. Usally clutch goes first, then the tranny, then t cases. Also depends on how much power your making. To say I have just bought the car and I am gonna replace everything right away and its stock isn't the best option, but if you have say 600hp, 700 hp car and stock stuff yeah may need to upgrade a little.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a Shep transmission in my car with the REM ISF process. It is a 5spd from an Evo 8, it has the evo 9 first gear and the rest are Evo 8 gears. The good thing with the Evo's rear diff is its actually a pretty strong sucker. Its the transfer case up front that is the other issue, my tcase is also a Shep.

If you have a built transmission with the right clutch and a built transfer case you're pretty much set. Dont really have to worry too much about axles and what not, bracing this bracing that changing out control arms, etc. It's pretty straight forward with the Evo.

I was reading stuff on facebook today about one of my friends asking about making his mustang track ready with 700whp, one guy answered that you need to change the control arms put an IRS brace in, weld the subframe etc etc etc...I was like wow thats a lot of crap lol.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Well first thing you have to remember is, you can't drive it like a rwd v8. I know I had to get use to an awd car when I went from my camaro to the talon and even talon to evo. You can't dump the clutch you have to feather it out. If you get use to driving it and treat it well it should last for a bit. Usally clutch goes first, then the tranny, then t cases. Also depends on how much power your making. To say I have just bought the car and I am gonna replace everything right away and its stock isn't the best option, but if you have say 600hp, 700 hp car and stock stuff yeah may need to upgrade a little.
Verry true, I'm making about 550 hp and clutch went first so got an exedy tripple and while i had the trany out decided to do a buscher trany upgrade. Went to the track 2 weeks ago, did a quick burnout, staged, tried to slip clutch on launch and boom t-case blew apart. Haven't got used to new clutch but probable droped it to quick
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

my opinion on best driveline setup for drag racing, you can agree or disagree with me is TRE Stage 2.5 with evo 9 1st evo, evo 8 3rd and 4th gear with HKS 4.11. Add a built shep 04 RS non lsd transfer case with a quaife diff and AWD Aluminum D2 driveshaft and youll have one of the nicest drivelines and great setup for drag. Just my .02. Best of luck with build.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Walt, dude that sucks I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you get a new one soon. I know sometimes its not exactly easy to slip it fast enough and blamo something breaks.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you do your research you'll find that TRE offers the most complete, thorough, and best engineered solution for your transmission, transfer case, and rear differential.

No one else can compete with Jon@ TRE because they don't have the tools to perform high end processes, don't have the education, or simply don't have the experience.

In my mind there is only 1 that stands above the rest.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:42 PM
EvoM Guru

I disagree with the statement above but that is because they are a local company. And although they are good guys and do most of the time good work they do cut corners.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
If you do your research you'll find that TRE offers the most complete, thorough, and best engineered solution for your transmission, transfer case, and rear differential.

No one else can compete with Jon@ TRE because they don't have the tools to perform high end processes, don't have the education, or simply don't have the experience.

In my mind there is only 1 that stands above the rest.
TRE has my vote, and will soon have my transmission. It's currently sitting beside my car now waiting for the second he tells me to send it to him. AHH! I can't wait!

Quick Reply: Street/Drag Trans setup