Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Borg Warner EFR 7670 T4 1.05AR - Detailed Pics

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2011, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a nasty set-up that will be. This BW should work very well with your supporting mods. Subscribed to see some results
Old Dec 2, 2011, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_VR4
That's not been my experience at all. They support owners of all used ECUs, so long as they were USA Motec in the first place.

I can tell you first hand that even if you were right and I got no support from Motec, it would still be better than the run around I got from Ray Hall, owner of Vipec, even with a brand new Vipec V88 box from a Vipec authorized dealer and legit serial number.
When David Buschur told me he had problems with Ray Hall... I just assumed it was because of Dave's charming personality. Weird that you had the same issue. I think I'll be dealing with my Local vipec dealers mostly. Bob @ Drift Office, John Reed, and possibly Neel from Apex Speed.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 05:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 313 Likes on 127 Posts
something i'm very surprised about finding, and even more surprised that you didn't notice Eric is...

The twin scroll exhaust housing.
The scroll divider is recessed. A lot.
It almost isn't even a twin scroll housing.

The garrett housings have the divider right up the the exhaust wheel.
The BW housing has it recessed about 8-10mm back from the wheel, even more in some places.

While this will increase durability and top end power, i feel that it will partially negate the twin scroll effect.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Why would Borg Warner design it like this? were they scared of cracking problems too?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

I haven't popped the turbine housing off yet. I'll look tonight.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
here is a pic of mine.

Old Dec 3, 2011, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 315 Likes on 247 Posts
Does anyone know if the 1.05a/r TS turbine housing has the same placement of inlet flange vs. V-band flange as the equivalent Garrett unit. Simply put, will the EFR be a direct swap for a Garrett setup or will I have to fab a new down pipe?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Does anyone know if the 1.05a/r TS turbine housing has the same placement of inlet flange vs. V-band flange as the equivalent Garrett unit. Simply put, will the EFR be a direct swap for a Garrett setup or will I have to fab a new down pipe?
here are the dimensional drawings.

http://www.turbodriven.com/en/perfor...Reference.aspx
Old Dec 4, 2011, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RSMike

Why would Borg Warner design it like this? were they scared of cracking problems too?
They've got their casting down pat. I HIGHLY doubt it was an issue with the housing that they couldn't get around so they said "This is good enough"

My guess is that even with that gap that you mention, the turbine wheel is still the path of least resistance. Who knows if that would cause some turbulence at high RPM but maybe it helps it breathe better while keeping the positive effects of the twin scroll.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Boltz.
They've got their casting down pat. I HIGHLY doubt it was an issue with the housing that they couldn't get around so they said "This is good enough"

My guess is that even with that gap that you mention, the turbine wheel is still the path of least resistance. Who knows if that would cause some turbulence at high RPM but maybe it helps it breathe better while keeping the positive effects of the twin scroll.
maybe?
So the garrett design of their twin scroll housings is "wrong" or "inefficient"

I would really love to test it, run our GT30 twin scroll setup on the dyno, then machine out the divider the same amount as the EFR has.
I'm betting it would pickup Top end power, but lose spool.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not implying that at all. I am implying however that I'm sure it is like that because that's how they wanted it.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

maybe?
So the garrett design of their twin scroll housings is "wrong" or "inefficient"

I would really love to test it, run our GT30 twin scroll setup on the dyno, then machine out the divider the same amount as the EFR has.
I'm betting it would pickup Top end power, but lose spool.
It could very well be one of the design limitations when a turbine housing is used in a gasoline application with very high EGTs.

We all know that Evo 8/9 turbine housings crack right at the divide near the volute.

Garrett uses divided housings intended for compression ignition engines with much lower EGTs.

That's my best guess. maybe Geoff could chime in.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 01:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
It could very well be one of the design limitations when a turbine housing is used in a gasoline application with very high EGTs.
We all know that Evo 8/9 turbine housings crack right at the divide near the volute.
Garrett uses divided housings intended for compression ignition engines with much lower EGTs.
That's my best guess. maybe Geoff could chime in.
I wonder if machining the divider back slightly would yield more top end power and reduce backpressure on a stock turbo exhaust housing... hmmm
Old Dec 4, 2011, 01:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
I wonder if machining the divider back slightly would yield more top end power and reduce backpressure on a stock turbo exhaust housing... hmmm
I like this idea
Old Dec 4, 2011, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

I have done that too... and from the numbers I'd say it worked. I spent a lot of time in the volute... not necessarily the divide. I also removed the divider in the stock TS housing for Mike's FP Black. It made 750whp so I guess that worked out for him.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Interesting, interesting, and more interesting

Quick Reply: Borg Warner EFR 7670 T4 1.05AR - Detailed Pics