Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

evo 8 triple clutch chatter and noise

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo 8 triple clutch chatter and noise

hi everyone i have an evo 8 with a triple carbon clutch the car has a 2.3 with an 850ams and all the goodies , anyway the clutch never chattered just makes weird noises when the clutch is pressed and it goes when its depressed , i am having 2 issues now , first of all their is a noise hamming noise on all gears the noise was from day one after building the tranny and installing the clutch so i suspected the transfer case after reading alot of threads which is common when i checked with the company that built the tranny they said , this is normal with a triple clutch and a built tranny to make hamming noise on all gears that sounds like a transfer case
i am not swallowing that but i had to ,anyway today i was in 40 min stop go traffic 5mph then stop all the way after leaving the traffic on the UTURN the car is chattering like crazy like it never did before i hardly drove my mechanics shop on a hill , the mechanic told me the clutch heated up bad since its triple from the stop go traffic and he is sure it will go away when the heat goes away , i left the car at the shop ,ill check back tomorrow or so , i read alot of threads but i dont see threads or opinions about chattering from stop go traffic all of the sudden or hamming noise all the time when driving on all gears . i appreciate everyone's help in this matter and opinions

this is a vid i made to show the sound and how good the tranny feels , no problems ever just noisy tranny after triple clutch and built tranny . the tranny wasnt built in the usa nor the car , everything was done in england .

http://www.youtube.com/user/baba7amo.../0/gHutg7ieCPE
Old Dec 2, 2011, 07:58 AM

no one ?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
this a new clutch you just installed? If so, then it will start making new noises (chatter when taking off) and humming when partial pedal release after the plates are worn and heated after the install. I had the same set up and installed a new Quarter Master clutch and the first day it was silent and great, then after 100 miles the noises began. Hopefully that is what you are experiencing, and if that is the case then its just normal.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure your clutch pedal is adjusted right, thats very important for multi plate clutches
Old Dec 2, 2011, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the stop and go will make thease clutches heat up ive did it once with my exedy tripple mine also got louder after the first 300 miles i on put on it seems like everything is normal to me.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:22 AM

it has more than 500 miles for sure on it , the noise is like hamming on all gears , this is not my main worry , my main worry is why after being in stop go traffic 40min or so , after these 40min
it started chattering like hell , i thought something broke or something , today i went to the shop the mechanic told me here you go take the keys and drive it , i drove it its normal no chatter what so ever just need to rev it higher to take off thats all than stock clutches , he told me these clutches are not made to in stop go traffic for a long time , the chattering started to take place because they heated up , i am disappointed if this is the case then my clutch is not for street driving , i knew it will be harder than all clutches and stuff , but not getting in stop go traffic , isnt something expected ,exactly how surprisingly i was in stop go traffic , of course i didn't want to be in it hehehehe, so main qustion since now its normal again with no chatter shall i just accept the fact this is how triple clutches are that they heat bad in stop go traffic and start to chatter like hell, or shall i open up the tranny and loook for trouble ? the hamming noise i am used to it now i posted a video so you guys can hear how loud the hamming sound is specially after converting to abuilt 5speed with triple clutch.

thanks everyone for answering me
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:26 AM

pirana, the hamming noise is all the time on accelerating not only while engaging or disengaging , its sounds like a deathwhine or a bad transfer , but i never had it before building the tranny and installing the triple,
Old Dec 3, 2011, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Bad throwout bearing?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 02:16 PM

if it was a bad bearing it would stay chattering like hell , its all normal the next day , but the fact that i cant get in stop go traffic more than 40min fearing this will happen again sucks , and it sucks too to open up the tranny while everything is normal , just noisy hamming noise .