Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Losing Coolant after hard driving

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2011 | 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

If the coolant was going into the oil I think you would see it. If the head gasket was pushing coolant the overflow would be full not empty. If coolant was going to the outside you would see steam/have a puddle.

I'd suggest making sure the radiator is full and then installing a new pressure cap. Then just watch it carefully. So far, this doesn't make sense to me.
Old Dec 10, 2011 | 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

i appreciate the help guys. coolant looks normal i feel like if it was leaking coolant would look different color and oil would look different. (i just checked the dipstick i didnt do a change yet)

my oil cap is 110k miles old. im going to buy 1.3 bar oil cap and see if it makes a difference. again, my car does not have a oil cooler and car was pushed hard.

the car drives fine so far. boosts normally. i daily drive the car and i am boosting as i did when this problem occurred. no over heating (highway) and no loss in coolant level.
Old Dec 10, 2011 | 11:30 AM
Account Disabled

You have head studs? Or water pump leaky from the bottom?
Old Dec 10, 2011 | 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

yes i run apr headstuds and water pump was replaced less than 3000 miles ago
Old Dec 10, 2011 | 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Wtf?

Originally Posted by 88888
did a compression test. my motor seems to be healthy.

Originally Posted by 88888
where is the best place to purchase a compression tester?
you did that already right? what am I missing here? what you want is a radiator pressure tester.

take off the rad cap put this on pump it up and see if the system holds pressure.
Old Dec 10, 2011 | 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like a head gasket to me the upgraded headstuds are holding if together under normal driving but can't keep the bad part of the gasket together under boost
Old Dec 11, 2011 | 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

It's called lifting the head, it can happen if the tune is off, boost level increases past what the fuel can support, or if you get a tank of bad fuel...

basically it happens from detonation, the fuel pops when the piston is still coming up on the compression stroke and there's nowhere for it to go... the head 'lifts' or slightly deforms for just a fraction of a second enough for the water jackets to become pressurized. This pushes coolant into the overflow bottle, or out of the vent hose on its lid. Watch the end of that hose make sure it's dry, if you see the end of that wet or the underside of the hood there with splatter on it, you're lifting the head and you need to address that right away befor it pops a freeze plug or causes some other damage
Old Dec 11, 2011 | 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Why is every one trying to scare the guy? Lol at the ppl saying "oh it's the head gasket for sure" "oh your lifting the head for sure" lol

There's no real way anyone on the Internet can tell you exactly what it is but we can help track it down.

Anyways, I had a very similar issue. Took me a while to figure it out because coolant was leaking but there were no visible signs of a leak. finally found out it was leaking from the area between the firewall and head. There was a puddle of coolant on the t-case. My leak was actually coming from one of the 2 rubber lines that go from the head to the throttle body. I actually checked those lines a few times and thought they were ok but there was a very very tiny crack in the line that would only leak when I would push it hard and heat up the engine bay. Grab those 2 lines and check them out carefully. Squeez them inch by inch and look for cracks or like in my case see a little bit of coolant leak with each squeez.
Old Dec 11, 2011 | 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05VIII
Why is every one trying to scare the guy? Lol at the ppl saying "oh it's the head gasket for sure" "oh your lifting the head for sure" lol

There's no real way anyone on the Internet can tell you exactly what it is but we can help track it down.

Anyways, I had a very similar issue. Took me a while to figure it out because coolant was leaking but there were no visible signs of a leak. finally found out it was leaking from the area between the firewall and head. There was a puddle of coolant on the t-case. My leak was actually coming from one of the 2 rubber lines that go from the head to the throttle body. I actually checked those lines a few times and thought they were ok but there was a very very tiny crack in the line that would only leak when I would push it hard and heat up the engine bay. Grab those 2 lines and check them out carefully. Squeez them inch by inch and look for cracks or like in my case see a little bit of coolant leak with each squeez.
It isnt intended to scare him, but rather save him the hassle and expense of a possible engine failure. I didnt realize it when it was happening to me and I ended up with an engine failure. My cylinder head is a giant paperweight now. It only takes a few minutes to do/get a cylinder leakdown and a compression test done. If he passes those tests great, but at least he will find out and catch it ahead of time.

You are correct, you cant accurately always diagnose via internet, that is why I suggested he try these tests, to be on the safe side. Its not scary telling him he may have serious issues, but it is scary pricing out a new cyinder head and engine internals. my .02
Old Dec 11, 2011 | 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
you did that already right? what am I missing here? what you want is a radiator pressure tester.

take off the rad cap put this on pump it up and see if the system holds pressure.
i did a compression test. not a pressure test. i will do this next

Originally Posted by localtoys73
Sounds like a head gasket to me the upgraded headstuds are holding if together under normal driving but can't keep the bad part of the gasket together under boost
thats what i thought too but like i said, i already did the compression test.

Originally Posted by Liqquid
It's called lifting the head, it can happen if the tune is off, boost level increases past what the fuel can support, or if you get a tank of bad fuel...

basically it happens from detonation, the fuel pops when the piston is still coming up on the compression stroke and there's nowhere for it to go... the head 'lifts' or slightly deforms for just a fraction of a second enough for the water jackets to become pressurized. This pushes coolant into the overflow bottle, or out of the vent hose on its lid. Watch the end of that hose make sure it's dry, if you see the end of that wet or the underside of the hood there with splatter on it, you're lifting the head and you need to address that right away befor it pops a freeze plug or causes some other damage
i have ben driving my car hard without it heating up too much and i see no loss in coolant. i will keep my eye out on the hose outlet

i will check up on this today thanks
Old Dec 11, 2011 | 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

The question was asked how it could be losing coolant when it's driven hard, but not at all since he's been driving it normal... that's my answer to how that could happen, not the answer 100% to what's happening with his car. But the more things he posts about it the more it is starting to seem that way. Compression test being good and all... (test will be good since everything is fine normally)
Old Dec 11, 2011 | 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

i didnt mean to offend anyone but i just think its funny how people are TELLING him what it is and scaring the crap out of op lol

like i said, we cant know for sure what it is but we can help him trace the issue.

just saying take it easy with the certainty its something serious
Old Dec 14, 2011 | 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

pressure test went fine.
im starting to think my coolant was simply evaporating under hard driving......
Old Dec 14, 2011 | 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Radiator fluid just doesn't evaporate. Its a closed system. Did you do anything to the car before this started happening?
Old Dec 14, 2011 | 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

have you replaced your radiator cap with a new one?

Quick Reply: Losing Coolant after hard driving