Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Major exedy twin problems please help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if the disc were bad wouldnt it slip??
Old Dec 4, 2011, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

I'm thinking its the disk. I had and excedy 6 puck and the disk "pucks" literelly starting falling apart and broke off and it made the car vibrate violently on take off (not even launching it). and it would slip exactly like you described it. I might be the disk but you might of also already damaged the flywheel portion of it.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Something is warped. Either floater plates, friction plates or pressure plate
Old Dec 4, 2011, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
Something is warped. Either floater plates, friction plates or pressure plate
And this is caused by heat from slipping clutch plates--either your driving or the clutch has issues with power.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DJAfterShok
I'm thinking its the disk. I had and excedy 6 puck and the disk "pucks" literelly starting falling apart and broke off and it made the car vibrate violently on take off (not even launching it). and it would slip exactly like you described it. I might be the disk but you might of also already damaged the flywheel portion of it.
This. I have an Exedy Twin in my car now that needs a full rebuild, and it shakes the entire car and does everything you're describing. The intermediate plate is probably warped as well, however, I think you need a) a full rebuild and b) a proper clutch adjustment.

Last edited by Blue91lx; Dec 4, 2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DJAfterShok
Originally Posted by meckert
And this is caused by heat from slipping clutch plates--either your driving or the clutch has issues with power.
The "Exedy Twin warping intermediate plate" issue has been established by many knowledgable folks. A large majority who take out their Exedy Twin for a rebuild notices hot spots and warpage, not necessarily specific to a driving style or a worn clutch. For a clutch that only holds ~600hp, I don't see how it's economical to spend $1600 on a clutch, and then $1000 on a rebuild that will only last you 20k miles (including discs, intermediate plate, tob, flywheel resurfacing, fluids).
Old Dec 5, 2011, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys my decision is made I'm going to resurface the stock flywheel and put a new disc in the act I had in the car I can't justify spending almost a thousands dollars to rebuild this clutch is rather buy a brand new one than rebuild this one at this point I have lost about 800 with the price of the install I'm going to cut my losses now.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by surferjeff
Thanks guys my decision is made I'm going to resurface the stock flywheel and put a new disc in the act I had in the car I can't justify spending almost a thousands dollars to rebuild this clutch is rather buy a brand new one than rebuild this one at this point I have lost about 800 with the price of the install I'm going to cut my losses now.
That's too bad, sorry to hear that.

The Exedy Twin is definitely a superior clutch, but if the funds aren't there any clutch is better than the one you currently have.

-Bink
Old Dec 5, 2011, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

I heat you blink unfortunately I have run out of money the car is still driveable as long as you don't launch it but I'm getting paranoid about damaging my transmission what's your take on that blink
Old Dec 5, 2011, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

I heat you blink unfortunately I have run out of money the car is still driveable as long as you don't launch it but I'm getting paranoid about damaging my transmission what's your take on that blink
If the vibration is half as bad as you describe, it can (and most likely will) damage the transmission one way or another.

Either rebuilding the current Exedy or resurfacing the ACT is the way to go. Definitely don't leave the current clutch in there any longer than you absolutely have to.

-Bink
Old Dec 5, 2011, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Ok blink thanks so much for your advice there are some really good people on this forum thanks for looking out
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Ok blink thanks so much for your advice there are some really good people on this forum thanks for looking out
Sure thing!

Good luck, hope it all works out.

-Bink