Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Exedy Twin Rebuild Worth it
Buy Lightly Used and Rebuild
60.00%
Buy Brand New and Avoid Used
40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Exedy Twin Rebuild Worth it??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exedy Twin Rebuild Worth it??

Hello All, Was wondering on average how many people who own an Exedy Twin choose to rebuild and how well did it hold up after replacing the components?

I didn't see a thread like this and there are so manny Exedy twin's up for sale with Rebuildable recommended but not very many describe what they replace to get them working.

I'am currently rebuilding an Exedy Twin and have replaced everything between the Clutch cover and flywheel only to hear disturbing news that these rebuilds at times has disengagement issue's and high failure rate (broken clip, Broken Cover fingers, Slipping etc)

So If you have rebuilt an Exedy Twin and it has held up well ( Clean Shifts, No Lock out, Decent Millage 60k to 90k ) Post up or vote with your experience.

Thanks.

Last edited by phizzalot; Dec 13, 2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
if you're the original owner then absolutely its worth to rebuild it.. if you're not the original owner you risk receiving it with a bad flywheel surface.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That depends on how bad your clutch is. As said before, if your the original owner and it hasn't been to abused just worn out over time rebuild will/should be great, but if it was heavily abused you might wanna go brand new.

I had the same dilemma a couple months ago, but after taking the clutch out and looking at it I decided to go brand new instead of rebuild.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Tscompusa, So the usual defects is the culprit such as Heat Spots, Wrapped Flywheel or Uneven Concave Surface.

I'am curious if resurfacing the flywheel and pegs on flywheel puts things back in spec and hold up well or does this make the overall thickness of the clutch out of spec and cause engagement issue's...
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am the original owner of my setup. I resurfaced the flywheel upon rebuild. I had 35k on it and it was no where near slipping. The only reason I rebuilt it is because the fingers on the intermediate plate were all snapped off and I imagine pulverized into part of the black soot that was inside the case. This caused poor engagement and first gear lockouts when stopped. That being said, the rebuild is roughly half the cost of a new setup. I would consider the quarter master setup based on recommendations.

Adam at MAP has good prices on rebuild. Roughly 700 for the discs and intermediate plate with throwout bearing and clutch fork stop IIRC.

Cutting the flywheel and posts is a good idea to bring things back to 100% spec. To be 100% certain you should take a precision straight edge and feeler gauge to check the pressure plate setup as well. If you are doing the work and are not opposed to tearing it apart, then its a "cheap fix" and still quality parts are going in. Good luck!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input, I am definitely feeling a little more confident after hearing everyone's responses...

After the rebuild I will only need to resurface the flywheel and will have basically a new clutch minus the clutch cover for about $200.00 less then one new from the store.

I Can't wait to get this thing in and review!!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i had a bad experience with a rebuild kit, basically had to wait for parts due to the tsunami that happend in Japan. aggrevation of not having my car running could have been avoided if i just paid a few hundred dollars more .
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just replaced my Exedy Twin with the new Comp HD and couldn't be happier............
Old Dec 15, 2011, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

More info Blue91 were you unhappy wit the exedy twin or was it worn out and decided to go with something else.

twabtoxer the wait on these items are pretty bad, I will agree... Just seems to me that vendors seldom stock the floater/pressure plates. I received the Discs pretty quickly but all in all the wait dosen't really matter to me as I have another car.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

I wasn't satisfied with the cost of each rebuild compared to the amount they lasted, especially because they really don't hold that much power.

For less than my full rebuild (including resurfacing the flywheel) would have cost on with the Exedy, I was able to purchase a BRAND NEW clutch and a BRAND NEW flywheel. Not to mentioned the combo will last 2x as long, retain same if not better drivability than the Exedy, and hold just as much power. No lockout either.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:12 PM

Well I have to be honest, I purchased my evo 9 with an twin disk, life on clutch unknown but I ended up putting 14k on it. Until it started to slip badly which In turn messed up my transmission, grinding fifth and reverse. So I had my tranny rebuilt by shep, and replaced the twin disk and machined the fly wheel. So far I have put 4k on this setup and it shift like butter, so please spend the money right and have the clutch rebuilt.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Wsup everyone, I got the clutch installed yesterday... So far the drivability of the twin disk is very unique compared to a single (never drove a twin disk clutch car before) I' am very satisfied with the outcome and glad I went with all new replacement parts and resurfaced flywheel.

The mechanic even commented that the clutch looked brand new and doubted any problems from the setup...

Iam waiting until the 500mile break in mark before I start to boost but so far Iam very pleased.

The rattle that accompanies this clutch is not a huge discomfort, and engagement is no where as abrupt as 6puck/4puck clutch's I've driven..

I guess my only recommendation about the used/rebuilt clutch is "Do It" as long as the parts your reusing is in good shape..
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Im not to sure but i dont think you have to break the exedy twin in.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

You'll be fine getting into boost, just don't launch the car for ~500 miles. That's what I've always been told.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Like most have said on here, it's all dependent upon whom you get the used clutch from. I have priced rebuilds and the clutch discs go for $450, the intermediate plate is $147 and a new throw out bearing (oem) is $55. If you buy a twin used for even $700-$800, assuming the flywheel isn't warped, you would spend a total of $1452 for a 100% working unit instead of spending $1700+. The only reason why I am selling mine is because I need money for school and bills.

Quick Reply: Exedy Twin Rebuild Worth it??