Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Service engine soon light blinking

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service engine soon light blinking

Hey guys, I'm a newbie from IN, just got a Evo 9 with 25k miles from TX. Got a problem of my car, not sure if this is the right place to ask, if not, plz tell me.

Last night I was trying to wot at 2 gear, at 2nd gear about 4000 rpm, engine service soon light started blinking. When I shifted to 3 gear then, everything is fine.

when I was driving at 4th gear then wot, when it was about 4000 rpm, light started to blink again. Then shifted to 5th everything was fine.

Afr was about 11.5 and boost was around 24 at wot, using 93 shell.

Can anyone help me since this is my first manual car and Evo is my dream car, really want to take good care of it. Thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:56 AM

If the car hasn't been tuned to utilize the service engine light for a knock light, then usually a blinking cel meens a misfire.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by EmminoDaGreaT
If the car hasn't been tuned to utilize the service engine light for a knock light, then usually a blinking cel meens a misfire.
It's mild moded and tuned, but I don't know how the preowner tuned. What can I Do now? Am I driving in a wrong way?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Blinking CEL light is usually an indication of knock, if you have tephra mods in your ecu. Read up here: http://evoecu.logic.net/wiki/TephraMod

Basically no blink = zero knock count, slow blink = low knock count, fast blink = high knock count.

If you have a tactrix/evoscan cable and software, log a pull and check your knock count.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
Blinking CEL light is usually an indication of knock, if you have tephra mods in your ecu. Read up here: http://evoecu.logic.net/wiki/TephraMod

Basically no blink = zero knock count, slow blink = low knock count, fast blink = high knock count.

If you have a tactrix/evoscan cable and software, log a pull and check your knock count.
^ Exactly what he said
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W

Thank you so much! I just texted the preowner, he told me what I need is just a tune cause the air is a lot different from IN to TX. Is this true?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Altitudes make a difference in a tune. You could also have a boost leak. I would suggest fresh plugs, a boost leak then a retune just to be safe. Enjoy the beast.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zhang695
Thank you so much! I just texted the preowner, he told me what I need is just a tune cause the air is a lot different from IN to TX. Is this true?
Different locations do make a difference, basically any change in atmospheric conditions will make your car perform differently. As said, altitude, humidity, temperature and probably others. I'm not from USA so I can't comment on how different your conditions will be.

Also, doing all the basic maintenance is always a good idea if you don't know the previous owner very well. I'm not saying to distrust the last owner but it does give you some peace of mind knowing that everything is up to scratch.

As above, plugs, boost leak and retune and you'll be right.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 07:41 PM

Thank you guys so much for helping me. I'm going back home and retune after Christmas break. Thx guys, hope everything will be fine