Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

i finally blew up my motor

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2011, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I got my short block rebuilt to a 2.0L LR from MA a few months ago (mine wasn't blow) and it ran me about 3K with the goodies I wanted and shipping.

Last edited by Kidloco51; Dec 26, 2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fabcas311

3rd gear pull and bang! alot of smoke from the exhaust came out, car stalled, i opened the hood and smoke came out too, oil was leaking all over the pavement!!....

any ideas of the damage???
estimated cost?im planning for a built 2.0
i already contacted the shop to do the rebuild.

hard time.... lessons learned!
My friend, I have been following your build since it started. It sounds just like what happened to me in my old EVO8:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...30psi-e85.html

Because of this, I am beyond nervous now to push my stock block beyond 400wtq especially now that I have the EF3 sitting in my garage. I have been so scared in fact that I have been thinking about just getting some drop-in pistons/rods or even a built engine just for my added peace of mind.

Originally Posted by drb
Sounds like you put the rod through the block. 2.0L core charges are high. Maybe you can find a used 2.0L or it might make sense at this point to go with a 2.4L. Depends on your goals.
I totally and completely agree with you on this, my friend. I would love to buy a build block and have my old one just sit tight as a spare but then I am been quoted a price of $1K just to have the engines replaced.

Originally Posted by S13 Curtis
His motor didnt break from the power/tq. He was having fuel problems.
What makes you say this?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
wow sick! you used to run an hks 7460r right?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
Yes, the OP did.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pure_evo
My friend, I have been following your build since it started. It sounds just like what happened to me in my old EVO8:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...30psi-e85.html

Because of this, I am beyond nervous now to push my stock block beyond 400wtq especially now that I have the EF3 sitting in my garage. I have been so scared in fact that I have been thinking about just getting some drop-in pistons/rods or even a built engine just for my added peace of mind.

I totally and completely agree with you on this, my friend. I would love to buy a build block and have my old one just sit tight as a spare but then I am been quoted a price of $1K just to have the engines replaced.

What makes you say this?
He stated in his dyno result tread that he was having fuel problems.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can promise you by the time all is said and done you will be well over 6-7k going with a 2.0. A 2.0 is easily 8-10 without a core when you start adding up parts like new case, rods/pistons (depending on power goals), oil cooler, gasket set, head studs, head work (assuming yours is salvagable after the piston hit the head and just needs some welding), oil pan, etc etc. I thought 7k...more like 9-10k depending on shop charges for disassembly and machining fees *sigh*
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

It's def not that expensive and prs has stage 1 motors assembled for a really good price.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:28 AM

I feel ya brother my car is STILL in the shop from when I threw a rod!! But now I have a new motor, new turbo and a new clutch all in it now. I'm looking to pick it up when I recieve my tax return.

If ur rebuilding your whole block I say go big or go home...if u have the cash get a 2.4LR those are beasts of a motor IMO but also depends what u wanna do with it
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by kyoo
Funny thing is I blew my motor on a 7460r too!!! Lol....crazy
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fabcas,

I'm sorry to hear your motor blew . I remember posting in your thread that a rod might be thrown due to the high tq. Either way a new motor will solve your problems. 375 djet would be the safest choice, but any more and it's just too easy to damage a rod. Before you push the limit of a motor, you can drop in rods and pistons at participating shops like english racing or buschur. It's not the same as a machine shop, but I'd do that before I run 400wtq. Let us know what happens
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

My condolences go out to your block That's some awesome torque to do that though I say build a 2.4 not a 2.0
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear Fab, hopefully you can rebuild soon.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
Just seen your dyno results. At 447 ft lbs, I wouldnt expect it to last long haha.
I've made that much TQ this whole season and never had a problem, though I only planned on it lasting that way until this winter when it's going for a Buschur build.

I have >12K miles at ~440wtq, with frum rolls, drag racing and track days. It seems to be all in how it's tuned. My tune is ultra-conservative at that power level though.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bramage_Dained
I've made that much TQ this whole season and never had a problem, though I only planned on it lasting that way until this winter when it's going for a Buschur build.

I have >12K miles at ~440wtq, with frum rolls, drag racing and track days. It seems to be all in how it's tuned. My tune is ultra-conservative at that power level though.
It's because of Ron's magic.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidloco51
I got my short block rebuilt to a 2.0L LR from MA a few months ago (mine wasn't blow) and it ran me about 3K with the goodies I wanted and shipping.
Thanks for the referral sir as well as your business OP, I'm always sorry to hear of failures like this. believe me I know what it feels like lol. We would love an opportunity to earn your business, I can have a shortblock turned around in 1-2 weeks.

Quick Reply: i finally blew up my motor