Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

RMR products or NOTHING AT ALL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2004 | 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

RMR products or NOTHING AT ALL

well i kind of made the mistake of getting the 6-year warranty / 75,000 miles warranty for my evolution. Now i went to my local dealer and asked about doing upgrades w/o voiding my warranty. They said if i do anything thast not MITSU brand and not installed by them, they'll void parts of the warranty. Now my friend told me RMR is somehow connected to MITSUBISHI. So i called other dealers asking if i had them install RMR parts if it would void the warranty, 1/2 of them didn't know and 1/2 said that'll be okay as long as they install it.

Im thinkin about getting the RMR Premium 3" Cat Back Exhaust, RMR 3" Down Pipe, RMR Intake Filter & Bracket System, RMR Induction Pipe, and RMR Intercooler Hard Pipe Kit .

I was wondering what your guys thoughts are towards RMR products. And if these mods will boost my performance and by how much hp? Im guessing if i add these mod's ill be running mid to high 12's.
Old Jan 14, 2004 | 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Chris from HB has all those mods, he seems to love it, my car will be all rmr from those parts as well, I'm gettin it all done next week and dynoed...I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Jan 14, 2004 | 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

TAMA u going with all RMR bc of performance or the same reason i am... bc of the warranty
Old Jan 14, 2004 | 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

Way I see it, if you're gonna mod, dealers are gonna "want" to void your warranty. Thing is, they have to prove that it's the mods that caused the problem(s). With that out the way, there are dealers out there that are more lenient with mods....Since you're in OC, you can check out Huntington Beach Mitsubishi and ask for Josh...from what I've heard, he's a cool guy and won't screw you out of a warranty. However, if you abuse the car or the installation of the mods cause the problem....then they have the right to void it anyways. I happened to go with rmr because I like what they're offering, solid performance (not the highest performance #'s) and overall, these bolt ons to me @ least just seems like it adds reliability to the car. If you're looking for the best power gains though for the money, you should look elsewhere because rmr stuff is pricey and the figures theses bolt ons produce is nowhere close to what you can do with afc, bc, dp/catback/test pipe with some tuning which would be even cheaper. I'll keep you updated though after I get this all done.
Old Jan 14, 2004 | 03:01 AM
Evolved Member

I have had most of the RMR bolt-ons since I first got my Evo in April. Josh @ HB Mitsu is the most mod-friendly service advisor I know and I wish I was still lucky to have that level of service and knowledge (Josh used to work for RMR). Of all of the domestic companies out there that actually manufacture their own products (like RMR and Buschur), you have to figure RMR and Buschur have the most experience, Buschur with 4G63s and RMR with Evos specifically. I have not had one CEL, backfire, dealer comment, etc. etc. with the RMR mods. If you check my car out on my profile, you'll see I have almost everything they sell. As for power gains, the only manufacturer that I have seen proven to beat RMR fairly consistently are the Buschur parts, but there have been some growing pains with them (broken exhaust hangers, CELs, etc.). They seem to have it sorted out now. My only qualm is that the Buschur exhaust is a little too loud for me. Good luck!

Chris
Old Jan 14, 2004 | 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Ralliart will do the same. Half the time your warranty will be honored if the work is done at the Mitsu service dept. and is documented. Check w/ your service advisor....
Old Jan 15, 2004 | 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

cant you sell your warranty back to mitsu?
Old Jan 15, 2004 | 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

I am just wondering how RMR products are covered under warranty. I have never heard anything about this and I work for a mitsu dealership as asst. service mgr. Only after market products I understand that mitsu is even considering are the raliart ones, and that is even sketchy. Your best bet is to keep it stock or go with raliart.

Doug
Old Jan 15, 2004 | 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks BadazzCR for the info. Yah i would go with Ralliart but its super expensive. My friend has a regular lancer with a 3 year warranty, and he said he bought a RMR exhaust and intake from a Mitsubishi dealer and it didn't void his warranty. I may be mistaken though.

The dealer in Tustin California is trying to have it so that they will provide after market products for the Evolution. So that they could install it and have it not void the warranty. But i have my doubts that that will actually happen
Old Jan 15, 2004 | 04:01 PM
Admin Emeritus

Unless I missed the press release, RMR does not have any special status with Mitsubishi. You may find individual service managers willing to allow certain mods that do not affect boost or AFR's, such as an exhaust or intake from RMR or Buschur or Vishnu or any other vendor.

Speedlimit...
Old Jan 15, 2004 | 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

It's dealer specific, I think a lot of dealers (go to www.rmrproducts.com) back rmr products (aka a vendor for them) and basically, it's up to the dealership to warranty it or not...rmr tries to push them to do that but some just sell and dun warranty and some actually warranty if they install it for you....all depends on your dealer.
Old Jan 15, 2004 | 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

okay okay i cleared things up... i took "CHRIS IN HB" method, and i called up HUNTINGTON MITSU and RMR to confirm things.

SPEEDLIMIT is right, no special status between RMR and Mitsu... but since RMR is located in Huntington, huntington mitsubishi is pretty lenient with RMR products being added. So i guess ima drive an extra 20miles to Huntington beach to get my car serviced every 1500 miles.
Old Jan 15, 2004 | 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

All of my parts were actually installed at RMR's shop since Huntington Mitsu wasn't up to speed yet, but Josh still honored my warranty. RMR is in Huntington Beach, too, btw.
Old Jan 15, 2004 | 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

humm... if you go to the rmrproducts.com and click on contact, select the state your in and it will give you every mitsu dealership doing buisness with rmr, there is a lot as far as i can tell.. just letting you know.
Old Jan 15, 2004 | 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

"hel if ino" they posted basically all the mitsubishi dealers at rmrproducts.com, but i called in and 99% didn't carry any RMR products.

CHRIS IN HB do u remember how much RMR's labor cost was to install all ur mods? And do u think they'll mind if i bought it online at a cheaper price they offer and ask them to install it?

Quick Reply: RMR products or NOTHING AT ALL