Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: What motor will hold the most power on the stock shortblock?
4g63
94.51%
ej257
4.40%
too close to call
1.10%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

What motor will hold more power on the stock block?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2004, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bluevilevo8

Awesome

thats the kind of response I was looking for.

BTW, on what dyno were these pulls made on, and what have you done to the head?
Those pulls were made on a 2wd dynojet, and the head has 1mm oversized valves with crower springs and retainers in a race ported head. When we did the head we replaced the head gasket with a new OEM mitsu unit.

-kris
Old Jan 14, 2004, 09:41 AM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by WildRice
You asked about block; at the myevo site there is a Swede who is pulling 710 from the mitsu.. The Evo head allows more boost than the Sub before pre-ignition, the mitsu rolling assembly is proven to support over 400. Cast pistons may be the weakness as the steel crank and peened rods seem solid. RPM and cylinder pressure must be considered they will cause different failure points like piston collapse, rod collapse, rod cap faliure. Assuming not detonation, the crank should reach bending moment before shear at high rpm (dynamic load) or from pressure (static loading). The absolute values can be calculated using strength of matterials and mass parameters. Hope this helps.. Evo all the way, the power emerges from good head design and strong support below. Yes son, grampa's Evo is a hemi. can you say "boost to the max.?"
Good post and an informed member
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

I believe the 4g63 will hold 500+ with the right tune. Also I am not sure where I heard this but doesnt the Sti have more drivetrain loss than the Evo. But either both great engines, my vote if for the 4g63. Easy to mod and takes a ton of boost
Old Jan 14, 2004, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Properly tuned to 500 HP you are going very near the limit.

Experience sais the stock rods will bend at around 500.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Braf
Properly tuned to 500 HP you are going very near the limit.

Experience sais the stock rods will bend at around 500.
Who has bent some rods in an EVO?

Keith
Old Jan 15, 2004, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

There are several 4G63's on this board alone making 550 whp. 500 is no sweat with good tuning. 550 is probably near the limit, but so far the engines are handling it. There's no way the ej257 shortblock will go that high. The block isn't special at all like the 4G63- Subaru is using the same block in the forester now and will also use it in other cars in its line-up. The 4G63 can also rev much higher- 8000 rpm is no problem stock. 4G63 is a better block hands down- but once STI owners start going crazy with engine mods the EJ257 may come out the winner with its higher displacement.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Fourdoor

Who has bent some rods in an EVO?

Keith
Various acquaintances have arrived at the figure of 500hp from personal experience tuning the 4G63 over the years.

I should however have qualified my previous statement with our experience using pump gas and stock internals. The broken engine best known to me was also running about 1.5 deg of intake advance. Surprisingly, though the data log showed mucho detonation, the stock pistons seemed unblemished. No cracks, no melting. The MSD knock alert fitted was being monitored by a co-driver who didn’t quite understand what to look for. After the run the persistent protests of the MSD prompted further investigation. The rod was just tapping the bottom of cylinder bore!

Tomei make some very nice rods.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

For clarity, the engines aren't forged?
Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by CLeeEvo
For clarity, the engines aren't forged?
The crank and rods are forged, the pistons are not. Even so, anyone who has taken the motor apart says they are the best ever to come out of a 4g63. This is a good thing.

As for the poll, it seems the 4g63 squeaked out a victory here on evolutionm
Old Jan 15, 2004, 09:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's the old grade school thing... "My dick is bigger than yours." "Bull****!" "Well look at this!" "Oh..." "Told you."
Now I don't frequent the other boards, but seems to be alot more "well look at this" in the 4g63 camp... Keeping in mind, of course, I'd still like to have an STI for the old lady.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Various acquaintances have arrived at the figure of 500hp from personal experience tuning the 4G63 over the years.

If your aquaintances were dealing with DSM's (as myself and my friends were) then I understand. The stock rods in the DSM's are cast units, not forged like the rods in the EVO's. That is why I asked if you had heard of someone bending the rods in an EVO specifically instead of generic 4g63 rods

Keith
Old Jan 16, 2004, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Zeus
Now I don't frequent the other boards, but seems to be alot more "well look at this" in the 4g63 camp... Keeping in mind, of course, I'd still like to have an STI for the old lady.
Since my girl has a WRX I do visit over at www.clubwrx.com and much to my pride in them they are not snobish little **** heads....they are running 75% IN FAVOR OF the 4g63 over there! This is why I like both communities, we all seem to be AWD turbo enthusiast together rather than ripping each other apart all the time.

Keith
Old Jan 16, 2004, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Norris design in the UK is running 800+BHP at the flywheel on his evo7 and he use his car as everyday transport!! This is the only 2.2ltr 4 cylinder that I know of that can handle that much!!!!
Old Jan 16, 2004, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Fourdoor

If your aquaintances were dealing with DSM's (as myself and my friends were) then I understand. The stock rods in the DSM's are cast units, not forged like the rods in the EVO's. That is why I asked if you had heard of someone bending the rods in an EVO specifically instead of generic 4g63 rods

Keith
Our experience is with the Evo variant of the 4G63. I would welcome correction on this but I think the Evo engine is fitted with cast crank and rods. When I have had occasion to look at the rods they certainly appear cast to me.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Our experience is with the Evo variant of the 4G63. I would welcome correction on this but I think the Evo engine is fitted with cast crank and rods. When I have had occasion to look at the rods they certainly appear cast to me.
Are these previous generation EVO's? Perhaps they were the same rods as the DSM's of the same year. The EVO VIII has forged rods and crank with cast pistons.

Keith

Quick Reply: What motor will hold more power on the stock block?