Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cams Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2004, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Cams Upgrade

I found on boost-solutions.com that:

JUN Racing Camshafts Stage 2 ( both IN and EX cams, set of springs and a set ot Ti retainers included)
JUN offers 264/10.5 and 272/10.8 cams for the Evo8. The Stage 2 kit includes also the JUN Racing Valve Springs and the JUN Titanium retainers.
(Cam gears are NOT INCLUDED)

Is it worth to buy it , or to go with WORKS CAMSHAFTS?

And what do i have to buy more with this stage?

What about piston kit from boost-solutions.com ,do i need it?

Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2004, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

JUN makes the best cams for evo, stage 2 is the stronges and the only real racing set up available. HKS is second best, but then Im biased. Never heard of works cams.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

I have the Works 269 cams and so far I love them. The car is crazy fast with only a very mildly lumpy idle.

-S ...
Old Jan 14, 2004, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jstockdale
I have the Works 269 cams and so far I love them. The car is crazy fast with only a very mildly lumpy idle.

-S ...
Did you have to upgrade the valve springs, or change cam gears?
I'm considering the 269cams since I can get another free reflash from Works.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

I'm running stock retainers/springs/etc., as well as stock cam gears. Pete helped me figure out the package that we would use on the car, and indicated that it should be fine.

I might put the Works titanium springs and retainers in at some point, but for the time being I don't really see any reason to change until we have a definite word on spring fatigue/failure specifically with higher lift cams.

-S ...
Old Jan 15, 2004, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

So after installation of JUN Racing Camshafts Stage 2, my car won`t be for street , everyday car?!
Old Jan 15, 2004, 08:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Yaroslav
So after installation of JUN Racing Camshafts Stage 2, my car won`t be for street , everyday car?!
Word is that they are not as "streetable" as the HKS... but then again that is a reletive term.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 07:06 PM

get the HKS 264/272 combo good results,idle, and proven reliability. the Jun of course are good cams, but you will regret for a daily driver, unless your really worried about those extra at ost 5 hp they may produce. The works seem like a good combo with the 269, but havent been around to see results of peformance or reliability. I say HKS as the price is right too!!
Old Jan 16, 2004, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

The WORKS 269's are definitely streetable, in fact they're in my Evo VIII and that's my only car (ie. daily driver). As far as quality goes, I believe they are made from forged billeted steel, and that they are equal to if not higher in quality than everything else around.

-S ...
Old Jan 16, 2004, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by maki
stage 2 is the stronges and the only real racing set up available.
That is incorrect. There are nastier cams out there and have been for a while. The JUN stage 2 cams are not for stock heads/turbos/etc. The duration and lift is getting too high to be optimal (key word optimal) for most EVO's. If you have a modified head, big turbo, etc. then you will probably be able to take advantage of the cams. If the rest of your system can't flow near it's peak torque at 6k plus then you should probably consider something with a bit less duration. Bigger isn't better; it's a matter of matching them to what you have.
If you plan to go that far with the car and don't want to have to change them (and want that idle nature) they by all means... you won't be disappointed with JUN quality.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Jan 16, 2004, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

I am getting HKS. Should I get the 264 for both or 264 for Intake and 272 for exhaust?
Old Jan 17, 2004, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tomei is worth a look also. Definately have years of experience making cams for the EVO !!
Old Jan 17, 2004, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by Yaroslav
stage 2 refers to cams (springs and retainers)
i got 264's, very happy with them
Old Jan 17, 2004, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by value
Tomei is worth a look also. Definately have years of experience making cams for the EVO !!
I think the only cams Tomei makes are 260 with a 11.8 mm lift for a lot of midrange. You dont get the top end of the other cams due to the duration difference.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

any video/sound clips out there?

Any guys out there have sound clips of the HKS 264/272 combo, or works 269? I definitely want to upgrade eventually to aftermarket cams but driveability is the biggest factor. Also, I hear aftermarket cams sound awesome but Ive never had the luck of hearing for myself.

BTW- The Works aren't regrinds, are they? What about HKS?