Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ultimate Oil Catch Can Evo 7/8/9 +10

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This ones better.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
holy F! that's a 500$ catch can!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

so does this $500 catchcan have proper baffles inside or just an empty catchcan?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Dragracer187
so does this $500 catchcan have proper baffles inside or just an empty catchcan?
baffles only needed for a recirc setup. this looks to be vta presumably with pcv capped. i much prefer preserving recirc to use vacuum to help suck out contaminants. baffled cans on pcv and intake breather needed for that.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

I agree, active catchcan is much better. But this one will do the job too I guess.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

[quote=EvoLeoIX;9885023]Thanks for your input^^^
I dont think that the air you speak of would be unmetered on maf or sd. That steam and gunk in your valve cover never sees the combustion chamber on this set up. In stock form the air is recirculated via the pcv to the intake manifold and also into the intake tube.
quote]

From what I've read that bit of air that is sucked into the intake (to be burned) is "built into" the tune (calculated from the pvc hole size), meaning the computer is putting in enough fuel for the air coming through the air filter AND the air coming through the intake via pcv (which only opens at certain loads too) so if you get rid of that line like by using this VTA (Vent To Atmosphere) catch can you SHOULD get a retune....Of course it's only a tiny amount of air and only open at certain times but just saying, it's not going to blow up if you don't. I prefer my Saikou Mitchou cans with baffles and material inside to catch the oil and vapors. It uses the intake vacuum to put a vacuum on the crankcase instead of just "venting it" and having no vacuum on the crankcase. And Theres no way I would pay $500 for an empty metal can with 2 air filters on it. If you're filling that huge can up that fast then there's something wrong with your motor, I just pulled my pistons out and EVERY top piston ring fell out in pieces so I only had 1 piston ring each so I was burning oil and made blowby but still took a while to fill up the small Saikou can I have.

Either way catch cans are deff something every motor should have, prior to installing mine I had oil inside my intake and on top of my pistons, (can post pics if wanted) and after a day of installing mine everything was bone Dry. I checked it pulling out my plugs and looking on top of the pistons with a flashlight.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:59 AM

^^^ hello. When I explained that I was speaking of the stock set up.
Mine is a little different with speed density and this set up. I just had a compression test done at the time of the install and it looks great.

Yes it is a little pricy but you have to think of how much it will help your engine out. Plus you get a small battery kit, catch can,two huge braided hoses, two 1.5in filters, 4 10AN fittings and a place to mount the catch can. I tried pricing this out on my own and I still think it's a deal. Most other catch cans I have seen fall short in the mounting department. This one solves that.

Also the other catch cans don't have such beefy lines. Some guys use big vaccum line or home depot hose.

I'm not in any way trying to bash anyone. I think its a quality product and it works.

I don't have any experience with your SM catch, but I'm sure it's great too

Last edited by EvoLeoIX; Jan 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:01 PM

Some pretty suprising stuff came out of the can today. Some of it looks like mucus but most of it is clear with a fuel and oil smell to it.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:53 PM

Would this style can be a good idea for a stock engine daily with minor bolt ons and a tune at around 300-350wheel? Or is keeping the pcv system or a recirc a better option? I run a setup like this on my race car but just curious on the stockish evo.

Last edited by Base_model; Jan 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:16 AM

You'll see more power gains in higher horsepowered cars. Now that I have witnessed first hand all the benefits of this catch can, I wish it was one of the first mods I did. It can save you so much wear and tear on your engine. More efficiency translates into more safety. Your turbo, engine and a handful of smaller systems will be happier.

Long story short, YES.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
alright bringing this back from the dead. now that the pcv valve is deleted and vented to my oil catch can, the free'd up source on my intake mani can be used as a vaccum source???
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
up
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by l0ch0w
I would use an exhaust gas scavenging tube in your dump pipe... it provides vacuum, and wont leave a mess anywhere but inside your exhaust tube (which already gets nasty...)
just make sure you putt the fitting at the proper angle to maximize the vacuum
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

DIY Catch-can setups FTW.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lostsoulsevo
alright bringing this back from the dead. now that the pcv valve is deleted and vented to my oil catch can, the free'd up source on my intake mani can be used as a vaccum source???
i would have to say yes if its coming off the intake mani

Quick Reply: Ultimate Oil Catch Can Evo 7/8/9 +10