Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ultimate Oil Catch Can Evo 7/8/9 +10

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultimate Oil Catch Can Evo 7/8/9 +10

Who says catch cans aren’t worth buying? I have had this setup installed for a week now and I can tell you that they defiantly are. Your stock ventilation system, i.e. your PCV and (stock) BOV port, were designed around the duty that your engine sees in stock form. There was a little wiggle room engineered into this system from the factory as added assurance. Once you exceed the tolerance of this system, (around 300 wheel) ventilation is no longer efficient enough. What follows is increased blow by and oil contamination. Not to mention oil gets into the combustion chamber as a result. Oil doesn’t burn evenly along with the combustion mixture which effectively is robbing you of power.
What can you do to help the situation? Install a beefy catch can with a filter. You can buy universal catch cans, but you’ll need to buy two and good luck finding a place to mount them. South Side Performance, SSP, solved this problem with their oil catch can and small battery kit. It’s all one unit and replaces your small battery kit or converts you to one.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Six pros so far:
-Car is noticeably quieter at idle and cruise.
-Gas mileage has improved by 1-2 mpg on e85. I only have on tank down to prove this.
-E85 cold starts are painless now. Before I would have to crank and crank. This is a thing of the past.
-Even with 1050s and Kelford 272s the AFRs are much more consistent.
-Eliminate crank case pressure and increase efficiency + longevity of engine components and systems.
-All of this adds up to more, safe power.

Cons so far:
None

Before- Solid line
With keeping the skeptics in mind, we did before and after dyno runs to show the results.
In stock form, a pull was done with the boost line from the dyno connected to the valve cover. This was to record positive crank case pressure. What we found was over 7lbs of pressure!!! This means that not only did I have 32 lbs running in the combustion chamber, but I had 7lbs in the crank case opposing the motion of my pistons. This seems like a huge waste of energy.

Still in stock form, a boost plot was recorded, this time tee’d off of the BOV. It read as expected with a peak of 32 and then a gradual taper.

After- Dotted line
After the install, with the car still strapped to the dyno, we plugged into the valve cover port again.
After a few pulls, the most we recorded was .1 pounds of positive pressure. The other pulls showed less, but I wanted you guys to know the most. Either way in this test the comparison in evident.

After teeing back into the BOV we recorded 6 less pounds of boost initially. It evened out at 27 with a taper. The car showed gains in power throughout the graph and were the most pronounced in the midrange. This means that the car made more power with fewer lbs of boosts!! We did not retune the boost or timing. The results are what I got from just the install alone.

Less boost amounts to greater efficiency of the turbo and increased longevity of your engine and head components.

I am completely sold on this product, because before I was a skeptic and didn’t fully believe the hype. I already have converted to speed density and have a coil on plug ignition, so the car is super smooth before the install. Afterwards though, the car has become noticeably smoother. I drove two of my friends around without telling them about the catch can and they both asked me if the car was smoother and quieter. I just laughed.

I would recommend this product to anyone with a performance car. The SSP Evo oil catch can / small battery kit is a simple solution for a catch can and also solves the mounting problem.

This is how the car looked before i dropped it off

Here are a couple of pics when I picked the car up:

As it stands today:
Breather filters were coated with K&N filter oil and the metallic pieces were matched to anodized purple.

Name:  photo9.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  98.1 KB

Last edited by EvoLeoIX; Jan 16, 2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Update
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

I wonder what the gains would be if you actually routed it back into the intake so the turbo's suction @ wot can provide some vacuum.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 01:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirnixalot
I wonder what the gains would be if you actually routed it back into the intake so the turbo's suction @ wot can provide some vacuum.
this will cause the turbo, intercooler and intake manifold to become covered in Oil, decreasing intercooler efficiency, and increasing chance of detonation
Old Jan 11, 2012, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

needs a link to the product on their site
Old Jan 11, 2012, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That container is kinda stupidly large. I'd rather go with a Moroso. Also, what are you doing with the pcv?
The following users liked this post:
BlackEvo08 (Apr 27, 2022)
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
One question. If you recorded 7lbs of backpressure, do tou have any blow-by issues? Like smoke coming out of the catch can breathers?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
similar to my own set up, i removed the pcv set up completely an fitted a 16mm hyd fitting in its place also enlarged the side outlet to 16mm fitting then piped them to two much smaller cans with filters vta
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pirana
One question. If you recorded 7lbs of backpressure, do tou have any blow-by issues? Like smoke coming out of the catch can breathers?
Is smoke coming out of the catch can a bad thing?

That happens to my catch can on start-up and much less after the car is warmed up.

I use the STM valve cover fittings (back of valve cover and side of valve cover), deleted my PCV, and use a JMFab Catch can that uses -6AN lines and uses a K&N breather.

-Bink

Last edited by binky; Jan 11, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by RSMike
this will cause the turbo, intercooler and intake manifold to become covered in Oil, decreasing intercooler efficiency, and increasing chance of detonation
Quite the contrary. With a traditional setup, the valve cover drains into your intake. This will distribute oil into your intake. I've witnessed this.

On this set up there would be no reason why oil should go anywhere else except the catch can. And it's not just oil. Condensation is also trapped by the catch can.
http://ssptx.com/product/ssp-evo-7-8...-battery-tray/

Last edited by EvoLeoIX; Jan 16, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:48 PM

The "smoke" is just vapor. It means your set up is working properly. The pcv was removed and plugged up. The two ports on the side is all you need for this set up. There are plenty of different options to route the hoses too. I chose the top of the line setup that David uses on his race car. There is a 6 AN hose setup that routes from your bov port and pcv. This is good if you don't want to remove your valvecover. All you do is remove the two ports and install some 6AN ports.

Last edited by EvoLeoIX; Jan 11, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoLeoIX
The "smoke" is just vapor. It means your set up is working properly. The pcv was removed and plugged up. The two ports on the side is all you need for this set up. There are plenty of different options to route the hoses too. I chose the top of the line setup that David uses on his race car. There is a 6 AN hose setup that routes from your box port and pcv. This is good if you don't want to remove your valvecover. All you do is remove the two ports and install some 6AN ports.
Cool. That's what I thought. It was how he phrased it, he made it seem like that shouldn't be happening.

Thanks!

-Bink
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Does it have a baffle inside? or just a empty can?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:24 PM

I would use an exhaust gas scavenging tube in your dump pipe... it provides vacuum, and wont leave a mess anywhere but inside your exhaust tube (which already gets nasty...)
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dragracer187
Does it have a baffle inside? or just a empty can?
Mines just an empty can. I've been tossing the idea around as to whether or not I want to add steel wool inside of the can.

-Bink
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pirana
back pressure and positive crank case pressure are two different things.

The 7 pounds was eliminated when the catch can was installed. Yes there is steam that will come out of the filters. This is normal. The whole reason for a recirculating system on a car is to return the steam that is in your valve cover back to your intake manifold is to mix with the intake charge. All that nasty stuff should not be recirced and should be rid of your motor. This catch can takes car of that.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Oil Catch Can Evo 7/8/9 +10