Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The Mellon Racing EVO head mysteriously lifted and the culprit has been found!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon Racing
yeah I was talking to david about that in email. I was envisioning a clear fuel filter inline near the rail that you could check on more easily. But I'm not sure if that type of filter is too fine/restrictive and going to back up the fuel pressure.
those dont flow well and are meant for low pressure. did you try carb cleaner to spray the tips off?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrcRS
Thank god! I was getting worried my engine builder and tuner weren't getting along!
you weren't the only one.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great to see the Community not divided.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:02 PM
Account Disabled

Chris, when I talked to Dave the other day I mentioned this, and had a sneaking suspicion that it was gunked injectors... It happened to a customer of mine a few months back... he did a 4th gear rip on the highway, AFRs were 12.0 then BOOM white smoke and tons of coolant. Pulled the head and it was waterjetted, Dave and Emery both pointed either to a tune issue or to some sort of fueling issue... I knew it wasn't the tune, so I had the customer check the injectors and gunk had built up within 1000 miles of driving, and Cyl #4 was almost completely clogged...

Glad both of you were able to work out your differences and continue your long business relationship!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:51 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
those dont flow well and are meant for low pressure. did you try carb cleaner to spray the tips off?
No, I was out at the time and just swabbed them with a gasonline soaked q-tip. The look like new from what I can see but who knows what's going on inside.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:54 PM
Account Disabled

I'm glad others are sharing their stories about this kind of problem. Hopefully it will serve as a warning and reminder for those who either weren't aware or had forgotten to pay attention.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

nicely handled sir!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

I run a magna fuel inline filter and run e85 on a daily basis that magna fuel filter does a real good job guys
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:25 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MRfabolous
I run a magna fuel inline filter and run e85 on a daily basis that magna fuel filter does a real good job guys
ever caught anything in it like this black gunk?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

I'm glad to see this resolved, it didn't seem right to have a split like that.

It was unfortunate to hear about the failure but ending a business partnership and more importantly a friendship didn't seem right.

Good luck on getting your car fixed chris, hopefully its not terribly expensive.

And in regards to the black gunk from what I've heard and read is that the cause is usually specific to gas stations and how well they filter their fuel or the condition of their tanks. Nothing to do with the ethanol itself.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Is there a way to test for the gunky/lower quality E85 before using it? Instead of finding out the hard way.

And/Or...

Is there a way to filter the E85 before you put it into your car (yes, I realize you can't if you fill at the pump) but, say you had a 55 gallon drum of the stuff, is that possible?

-Bink
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

So everything I am gathering only happens to these injectors on e85 fuel. What about pump gas that has 10% of ethanol?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
^ Like DB said, the gasoline will clean it out.

PS: Let us know if you're coming to WA. Met some folk that came from Hawaii and mentioned you and the misses by name.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I am checking my injectors this weekend. Thanks for posting.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
It is NOT a filter issue. The filter will not catch this stuff, it is a gooo, not a solid it seems. The filter we use is 10 micron. I'm not sure what site the information is on but there is another site that has a HUGE HUGE amount of information on this stuff. I'd assume a DSM or Subaru site as they are the only ones I ever look at. A bunch of guys took a lot of time "studying" this and figured out it seemed to be coming from certain stations/locations. They also figured out running pump gas through the car kept it cleaned out.

Maybe someone can google it and find the thread and link it or cut and paste the important info from it into a thread here...

Quick Reply: The Mellon Racing EVO head mysteriously lifted and the culprit has been found!