Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What thrust bearing is better for evo 8 eagle crank

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What thrust bearing is better for evo 8 eagle crank

Ok, well a week ago my thrust bearing decide to say bye bye! and of course the crank is done also, well I just got an eagle crank (new). My question is what thrust bearing should I used, the acl all in one main and thrust or the separate thrust washers? I now ACL are great product so as clevite, but wish one I should use. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They're separate and when you buy a main bearing set, the thrust bearings come with them. Any brand will be fine.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
They're separate and when you buy a main bearing set, the thrust bearings come with them. Any brand will be fine.
Not really true. When I bought my thrust bearings From MAP, they didn't have any in stock and were sold separately (bought ACL race bearings).

Either ACL or Clevite would work well, if you can find them still in stock somewhere.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
Not really true. When I bought my thrust bearings From MAP, they didn't have any in stock and were sold separately (bought ACL race bearings).

Either ACL or Clevite would work well, if you can find them still in stock somewhere.
Same set and place I got mine.....
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:14 PM

guys thanks a lot for the fast response, I'm looking at the ACL ones on STM site.

Ohh just to make myself more clear in the installation, after installing the crank and double check the end play and clearances, adjust the clutch (ACT HD Kit) correct? ( oil cooler is being flush, oil pump recheck and assembly lube with Vaseline is on it, and all the oil galleries including the squirters has being clean. The squerters, I check them after clean them, 25 psi they open, 25 psi and bellow they are close. I did this test with the air compressor and an air regulator valve.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by quiquepr69
guys thanks a lot for the fast response, I'm looking at the ACL ones on STM site.

Ohh just to make myself more clear in the installation, after installing the crank and double check the end play and clearances, adjust the clutch (ACT HD Kit) correct? ( oil cooler is being flush, oil pump recheck and assembly lube with Vaseline is on it, and all the oil galleries including the squirters has being clean. The squerters, I check them after clean them, 25 psi they open, 25 psi and bellow they are close. I did this test with the air compressor and an air regulator valve.
you could get a B&M or STM oil cooler for a decent cost and have a little more peace of mind than the reuse of the stock on even though you're having it flushed.. I have heard of people having them sonic cleaned but still there's always that what-if
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:08 PM

Did that also, STM was the winner!! Tanks y'all for the quick advice.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Dude do. It put that old refocused oil cooler back on your car you will be asking for a very expensive problem. I guy that built my motor did the same thing 50 miles later that day on the break in drive bam spun bearing just cruising. That was from oil contamination
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
the block determines which bearings to use, not the crank.
but I have some bad news for you. the eagle cranks I have seen are made for the single piece thrust bearing. the thrust surface on the crank is too narrow for the split center main bearings.

the thrust on single bearing is full circle and about 6mm wide. the thrust on the split bearings are half circle and about 12mm wide.

the thrust surface on eagle crank is ~7-8mm. so the 12mm bearing does not get full thrust to seat against. the crank was originally made for early 4g63 blocks. they may have corrected this issue with later cranks.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:55 AM

When I order the crank from eagle, it was from the new catalog, and it did say evo 8. I notice that it also was another part number that said 98 and bellow 4g63. So let's hope that I got a corrected one. Thanks for the tech info on the crank.

I got the STM oil cooler, and got also the turbo oil routing kit, cuz I'm going to dunk an FP red on it ( after break in). Thanks a lot!