Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Twin Clutch BANG - Diagnose?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
Exedy Twin Clutch BANG - Diagnose?

IX GSR 5 speed
Shep trans w/ 8 3rd and 4th
Cusco 1.5 way rear diff
Shep stage 1 t-case
Exedy Twin Disk HD - ~10k miles?

All professional shop installed.

I was on the stock clutch for ~45k miles before this. No launches on the Exedy. Normal/daily driven. Not my first manual.

Was waiting to make a right turn. Was in 1st gear. I'm inching forward, and you know how you can be in gear but your foots not on the floor and the clutch won't engage? I'm waiting for cars to pass, and all of a sudden I get a huge BANG from the clutch as it engages and I lurch forward - it was so violent I thought I got rear ended and actually memorized the plate of the car behind me. Not at all like you slip a clutch. I've never dropped the clutch, but I imagine this is how it would feel if I did.

Pulled over, tried to take a look, smell whatever. Everything was eerily normal. Even looked at the rear bumper to see if I got hit. Nothing. Clutch felt a little softer, but nothing other than that. Gears shifted fine, and car still rolls in 1st and R with no gas, just slowly letting go of clutch. Basically it's like it never happened. Haven't tried high RPM shifting or launching, though, obviously.

Any ideas? Sorry it was long winded, wanted to cover questions if anyone had any.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn. I assume you are on OEM clutch master cylinder? Maybe it had an air pocket and released the pressure on the bearing once. Dont know. But maybe.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I was driving on interstate North of Vegas and same thing. Figured I'd been hit and pulled over. Nothing. Then I heard this jet airplane noise off in the distance.

So, maybe a line fuse on a utility pole went or maybe a cherry bomb, you flinched and the rest is history.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
yeah car/clutch feels fine now, and driving like normal. it really felt like i just dropped the clutch, the clutch is strong enough to jerk the car forward instead of stalling out.. but th enoise.. jesus
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ha, ha, the first time that happened to me I thought I got rear ended too. I was looking around like WTF!!!!

Its funny how the car launches like that, but under normal first gear engagment you have to really slip the clutch to engage.