Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HELP!!! engine breaking up at higher RPMs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! engine breaking up at higher RPMs

Alright here's what's going on, I'm having an issue with my car breaking up around 4500 rpm.
Mods:
EVO 9 turbo
Stock Injectors
HP MBC (17psi)
3 in TBE
Custom Intake
TIAL Q (vta)
FMIC with all hard piping
COMPLETELY STOCK ENGINE
93 oct
NGK bpr7es gapped to 24
The car is flashed with Tephra V7 and the tune that is loaded on it is running in about 4 or 5 different cars without any issues. I'll accelerate it pulls hard up until about 4500 then in bucks (no CEL flashing for knock) i stay into it, it pulls just the same until about 5500 bucks (no CEL flashing for knock) about 6700 bucks again but pulls just the same. I'm super confused as to why it's doing this, I do have a small pre turbo exhaust leak but I wouldn't think it would be major enough to affect anything. I know that the TB shaft seals have been replaced with mil spec seals and there's no sign of any boost leaks...help me please
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Sounds like a tune issue. Check for boost leaks.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:48 PM

i'm going to check again tonight for leaks...im not sure what i should change in the tune, i have everything to change it IE: evoscan, ecuflash. Someone help with my tune LOL
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:49 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Check for boost leaks & install new spark plugs. Run a log to see what's happening to your AFR & timing in the area's where you are getting the sputtering. If you have another EVO in the area, swap out the ignition coils to see if it makes any difference.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:53 PM

I forgot to mention I have a spoolin up COP :/
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

id say its a tune issues myself also..but have you checked your plugs to make sure for whatever reason your not haven a ignition issues ? as already stated check vacume and boost connections. honestly who uses genaric random tunes? i hope a tuner can clue me in on this but do you guys just back log a bunch of maps n reuse them on multipal cars? i was under the impression each car needed to be tuned specific..

(Now my background is mainly DSM n im trying to learn more on Evos so excuse me if i say somethin wrong)

I know you say your motor is stock but you have a larger then stock turbo n more then likly boosting more then stock, your list says custome intake, intercooler hard pipes and your BOV is VTA so are you convertered to SD or closed loop on just a reflash ? cause the velocity of your charged air is going to be higher then stock so wouldnt that mess with the MAP readings ? if the engine is seeing more air then normal its going to try to compensate with more fuel but in this case not sure how much to add ? in also doing so what about timing? isnt the bucking usual a sign of a timing issues ?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are you sure its not a boost/fuel cut? logs would help us diagnose it.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by blk2gdsm
Alright here's what's going on, I'm having an issue with my car breaking up around 4500 rpm.
Mods:
EVO 9 turbo
Stock Injectors
HP MBC (17psi)
3 in TBE
Custom Intake
TIAL Q (vta)
FMIC with all hard piping
COMPLETELY STOCK ENGINE
93 oct
NGK bpr7es gapped to 24
The car is flashed with Tephra V7 and the tune that is loaded on it is running in about 4 or 5 different cars without any issues. I'll accelerate it pulls hard up until about 4500 then in bucks (no CEL flashing for knock) i stay into it, it pulls just the same until about 5500 bucks (no CEL flashing for knock) about 6700 bucks again but pulls just the same. I'm super confused as to why it's doing this, I do have a small pre turbo exhaust leak but I wouldn't think it would be major enough to affect anything. I know that the TB shaft seals have been replaced with mil spec seals and there's no sign of any boost leaks...help me please
i would bet its your pre turbo exhaust leak
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if its a preturbo leak then you will definitely hit higher loads than what it is tuned for so you are probably getting fuel/boost cut.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:50 PM

Im gonna fix the exhaust leak and see if that helps...I'll try and post up a log
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Exhaust leak wouldn't make that condition. But yeah mine as well fix it while your thinkin about it.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:44 AM

I'm going to blt it today...the plugs are brand new
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I had this problem just 2 weeks ago it was the spark plugs. You need the non protruding tip. BPR is protruding, BR is non. Get the BR8ES plug and gap to .22
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:18 AM

So runnin br8es' gapped to .022 solved the issue completely?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:07 AM
Former Sponsor

It could be tune related but i would, like already stated, put in some fresh plugs at .022.

Mikey

Quick Reply: HELP!!! engine breaking up at higher RPMs