Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Looking for Feedback on Kelford 264/260

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got ya. From what I have gathered the kelford 264s are pretty agressive for 264s. It seems for whatever reason that http://www.lancerregister.com/ which is mostly euro uses them pretty often.

Thank you for checking on that! It was most helpful!

The Brian Crower Stage 2 (whatever that is) did pretty well in the AEM test. I am not set on 264s in general. Like I said the 272 HKS works beautifully. and is my second choice if the Kelfords fall through.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No problem. Just take your time before you spend money. Get the one you really want/like and will works for ya, otherwise you will regret it. Good luck searching it
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you! That is exactly what I am trying to do now. I do as much research as possible before I ever buy parts.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shadovarian
Thank you! That is exactly what I am trying to do now. I do as much research as possible before I ever buy parts.

http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...products_id=32

here is another option. Im not sure where I stand with WORKS as a shop , in general, but I know some folks with these cams on their 99% dd evo and they love em. g/l
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shadovarian
Don't be a worthless low life troll ***.

It is my car and it will be the way I want it. You need to get your money back from the Sylvan learning Center because they failed to teach you how to read. I DO NOT WANT A CHOPPY IDLE. I DO NOT WANT 272 KELFORDS

If you don't have relevant info to this thread then feel free to **** off.

I haven't done any research on those I will take a look.
Tomei 260 idles perfect and that's why I am changing them . I need some aggression
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I am amazed at the responses in this thread. People pushing you to get a lopey cam cause your tuner can tune them into non lopey cams. Please stop the madness.

First nobody has mentioned anything about the idle differences between evo 8 and evo 9. listening to an evo 9 idle is useless info when picking a cam for an 8. adjusting the mivec has huge affect on idle quality.

most aggressive 272 cams not only idle choppy, they have to be set at 1100 rpm to even idle at all without stalling pulling up to a light after a pull. jun 272, BF272. kelford 272 all are in this category. I cant stand idle higher than 900. and that is even pushing it. One of my cars has 280 cams that idle smooth at 750rpm. love those cams.

adding timing is easy for any tuner. it does help smooth the idle. but it wont eliminate chop. it also adds occasional pops in the exhaust which is just trading one annoyance for another.

hks 272 do not idle that smoothly. I have never liked them for that reason. The 264 are actually quite nice cams. There have been back to back tests that show the 264 kicks but on the 272 form everywhere in the 2500-6500 range. the 272 take over at 6500 and up. not really a good trade for those looking to build an enjoyable street car that doesnt have acceptable annoyances that drag racers live with.

The jun 264 is an aggressive cam. more aggressive than the HKS 272. I suspect the kelford 264 is same.

cam choice can make or break a setup when trying to build all around enjoyable car. I usually try 3 or 4 different cams to get what I am after. I wouldnt risk trying something you fear might not be right. go with whats proven to be good choices for what you are looking for.

I would go with the works cams from what has been suggested so far.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you, that was most helpful. As I had stated before the HKS were a second choice because they didn't idle quite as nicely as I wanted. I want my car to be a nice quiet street car that I can drive with no issues but still does great on autocross days which don't utilize power at 6500rpms.

Besides the works is there another Cam that you would suggest?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

I'm pretty sure any cam you run is going to make the car louder, some more than others. It's just the price you pay. Run a quieter exhaust or weld in an extra resonator is the only thing I can suggest.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe

First nobody has mentioned anything about the idle differences between evo 8 and evo 9. listening to an evo 9 idle is useless info when picking a cam for an 8. adjusting the mivec has huge affect on idle quality.

+100K

Every thread that pops up about cams, every IX owner chimes in with "GSC S2" suggestions without even paying attention to if the thread starter has an VIII.

Some people don't quite understand/take for granted how nice VVT is for idle and low-end.

Last edited by kiley_sean; Jan 30, 2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RSGuy
I'm pretty sure any cam you run is going to make the car louder, some more than others. It's just the price you pay. Run a quieter exhaust or weld in an extra resonator is the only thing I can suggest.
I have a works stealth muffler. I can tolerate it somewhat, but I can't deal with an idle anything like what that blue car has.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have experience with the 264's, but I used to have the Tomei Procams on my VIII with 260 duration and 11.5mm lift and they idled as smooth as stock and provided a nice power increase but didn't have very much topend. I now have GSC S1's and they feel the same as the Tomei cams low to mid RPM, but are happier to rev out in the higher RPM. There's no lope with the S1's, although they do have a slight stumble with the idle at ~950 on the stock cam gears.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So did you end up getting the kelford TX264's ?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Be clear - is it the lump idle specifically or is it the fact that you are worried that the lumpy idle will come hand in hand with a louder car? Most people who have gone to a big cam profile want more power, and the same people will have used large turbos and very free flowing exhausts, basically all their modification decisions would contribute to making the car progressively louder.

It may be worth just considering going a slightly quieter exhaust if you are worried about the exhaust noise, though be aware that somewhere along the line something is going to have to give - to make more power you need to let things flow freer.

<edit - argh, just noticed dates - way out of date, sorry>

Last edited by MrLith; Jul 22, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 06:13 PM

Keep up posted on what you decided to choose! Im currently in the same boat ( 264 or 272)
Old Oct 8, 2012, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
op- i have kelford 264's and they idle pretty smoothly without much tuning attention devoted to playing with idle.

Quick Reply: Looking for Feedback on Kelford 264/260