Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Im seriously considering a VNT conversion on my turbo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im seriously considering a VNT conversion on my turbo

For any of you turbo buffs...you may all remember in 1989 and 1990, dodge and shelby made the most amazing product that never seemd to get off the ground...as a former proud owner of both a CSX and shadow with the VNT turbo...I was familiar with them...My car is very laggy with the big GT35R (same lag as the 3037s kit it replaced...just more power now) but Im thinking a VNT conversion would be insane...any ideas?

PS.. for those who dont know VNT stands for Variable Nozzle Turbo. At low rpm, low boost, the vanes close down. This increases the velocity of the exhaust going through the turbine and gives it a kick to spool up quickly. As boost comes up, the vanes open to limit boost and reduce back pressure. The benefit of all this is that it has the quick response of a smaller turbo which is great at low rpm, but can still flow like a bigger turbo at higher rpms.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Well, I think it sounds great, especially since you'd be paying for it
Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

ahahahah youre right...but can it be done? any input on the positives or negatives of a 600hp motor with a vnt??
Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Pesto, you need to just ship your car out here so we can drop a 2.4L in it. Then you car won't be laggy anymore. It would be the perfect set up for that GT35R.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Very surprised anyone even remembers those cars...

I'm not much on the actual mechanics of the VNT, but if it were so great, I'm sure it would have caught on a little better than it did?
Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:46 PM
In Timeout

John, you need to figure out what you want to do man, you are pissing a lot of TIME and money away but whatever. If I were you I would ship that ****er to Vishnu and let them do the stage 3 on your car and be done, I may do the stage 2+3 or get a 2nd evo to do that on. Spend some time seeing WHAT YOU WANT. then go do it.

Originally posted by Pesto360
ahahahah youre right...but can it be done? any input on the positives or negatives of a 600hp motor with a vnt??
Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

the tucker didnt catch on and that had amazing technology, The slant 6 was bulletproof, that was never really an ideal motor for buildups, the rotory never caught on (im gonna get flamed for that comment), those cars also had the only composite wheel to ever make it onto a production car it was called the fiber-ride ( the 1989 shelby csx) now just imagine applying that technology today with carbon fiber instead of glass fiber and have a carbojn fiber wheel....the vnt technology worked..why it never caught on I have no idea..
Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by RnR Racing
Pesto, you need to just ship your car out here so we can drop a 2.4L in it. Then you car won't be laggy any more. It would be the perfect set up for that GT35R.
That would do the trick or the Venom progressive nitrous system or a supercharger with the turbo (did you see the electric blower in Turbo mag?) or all three

I don't think the VNT is an option with a big turbo, it is only used these days AFAIK on some aftermarket bike turbo kits. Ahhh to have YOUR problems (I can dream can't I?)
Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

My car is done..works perfect...and its about as quiet as a stock car...I have to take the resonators out of my exhaust ( I have 3 and a dynomax muffler) because i cant get over 18 pounds of boost...we stil made 419whp the other night at only 18psi on 93 octane...so im happy with the car...and with a restrictive exhaust at 22 pounds or so i should get 480whp....with a loud exhaust...Ill get over 500whp..id rather give up the 20whp for less noise....whats nice about the gt35r that sfp.net mated to their kit...is it has the same power curve as the 3037s kit it replaced ( Ill be selling my 3037s with a rebuilt turbo to your specs if anyone is interested, will be a direct bolt on)...id just like it to boost sooner...and a VNT would do that
Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Ohhhhhhhhhhh electric supercharger..ahahahah Im gonna drive frank at sfp nuts....but that may be a good solution....the VNT concept isnt new...they have been used on airplnes and still are...Nitrous isnt a solution for me...this is a daily driver and fillign up those bottles is a pain int he ***...as it is I have the aquamist...watching nitrous levels too would be a pain in the ***
Old Jan 15, 2004, 06:01 PM
In Timeout

Get a custom made turbo then, call Garrett or something like that. I have a friend who took his 996TT and put a whipple charger on it, now it's INSTANT boost and over 600HP to the wheels, just take your time and find the right people to do the job.

My car is done..works perfect...and its about as quiet as a stock car...I have to take the resonators out of my exhaust ( I have 3 and a dynomax muffler) because i cant get over 18 pounds of boost...we stil made 419whp the other night at only 18psi on 93 octane...so im happy with the car...and with a restrictive exhaust at 22 pounds or so i should get 480whp....with a loud exhaust...Ill get over 500whp..id rather give up the 20whp for less noise....whats nice about the gt35r that sfp.net mated to their kit...is it has the same power curve as the 3037s kit it replaced ( Ill be selling my 3037s with a rebuilt turbo to your specs if anyone is interested, will be a direct bolt on)...id just like it to boost sooner...and a VNT would do that
Old Jan 15, 2004, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

the VNT should have the same effect as the supercharger/turbo combo..Im going to definitely look into it though
Old Jan 15, 2004, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.aerocharger.com/

Twin Variable Vane Turbos on an NSX is wickedly fast. KInda makes the world bend around you. incredibly linear as a stock NSX, but with painful amounts of thrust.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

i just looked...not sure where a supercharger would fit
Old Jan 15, 2004, 06:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Nitrous isnt a solution for me...this is a daily driver and fillign up those bottles is a pain int he ***...as it is I have the aquamist...watching nitrous levels too would be a pain in the ***
If you just use it for spool-up it will last a while. Just set it to come on at say 50% throttle and off @10psi. It won't be on for that long (maybe 1-1/2 seconds?) each time you spool it up. By far the cheapest solution. I forgot about the VNT aircraft apps. Who makes them (Aerocharger?). Good luck

Quick Reply: Im seriously considering a VNT conversion on my turbo