Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BBK-B BB or Fp Red BB Turbo. Which to go for?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$2720 once you add all the options that you get with an FP turbo....Way too rich for my blood for a bolton turbo.....
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by STWHY?
$2720 once you add all the options that you get with an FP turbo....Way too rich for my blood for a bolton turbo.....
I can definitely see that being a pretty steep price for people still on the stock turbo, but for those with JB BBK lites, Fulls, and BBK-B's, then either upgrading to the BB variant, or selling their existing JB BBK turbo like I'm doing, then I personally think it's totally worth it. I suppose the same could be said for people with JB FP turbo's, since they should be able to easily sell off their existing turbo, and have a solid down payment on a BB BBK turbo.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:39 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It really hurt whn MHI hit us with a massive price jump on the stock IX turbos (which we use to build these)

we were anticipating an original price point of apprx $2250.00 until that happened-

but- it's the cost to make it work- basically taking two turbos to make one- machining cost- etc- and the fact that Blouch is doing everything for us in house- not sending anything out-

cb
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What turbo did you end up getting? I'm stuck between the green, red and bbk 3b.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im stuck on this too ^^^
Old Aug 24, 2013, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
I would do either the BB BBK-B with the surge ported cover, or the BB HTA Green with the FP oil feed line. I realize that the Green is not on your short list, but it should be. It is absolutely one of the best bolt-on street turbos available, especially in BB format.

If it was my choice, I would cross the BB Red off the list because if you are going to go Red, then you might as well go BB Black. Only a couple hundred RPM difference in spoolup exists between the two turbos, and an easy 45WHP difference in power. In fact the BB Black should spoolup substantially the same as your current journal bearing Red.

But, overall, because you've expressed that you value overall responsiveness, as well as lowend and midrange torque, and that yours is a fast road car, then I would suggest either the BB-HTA Green. or the BB-BBK-B(3B).

EDIT: You might also want to seriously consider the new BB-BBK-C. In fact, this turbo might be right up your alley. The BBK-C's compressor flows marginally more than the Red and about 6 CFM more than the BBK-B. Something to think about at least.
I would disagree. The BB Red spools noticeably faster than the Black. Also there is absolutely ZERO difference between the spool-up between the BB Red and the JB Red. However once spooled the transient response difference is massive.

I say just send your JB back to Forced Performance have them upgrade it to BB and be done with it. OR just buy another one and sell the old one, which is what i did.

As far as comparing the Black to the Red in terms of spool, the RED spools significantly faster and has a more of an ON/OFF personality say like a 35R on a 2.0. The Red is like a 30R, significantly faster but lag is present. The Green is a 3071 or even smaller in terms of spool. That said stay RED or since you have a Stroker a Black might not be as bad as you think, the Black Fully maxed is capable of 60WHP more than a RED, but that is a fully built everything. Keep in mind that the JB Red ran 9's at 145MPH on a street car, that is quite faster than you think.