Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch Options for 600+ TQ: Exedy Triple vs Quartermaster 8 leg vs ATS triple

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
buschur suggested the triple cerametallic . ive seen evo with 600+tq with these clutches and they hold awesome i just bought one today so when it comes in and i put her in ill tell you how i like it
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tell you what... if the Exedy triple is similar in function to the twin and is strong enough to hold your power, i don't see how you could go wrong there. My twin is a DREAM on the street. I'm coming from an ACT 6puck.

The engagement on the twin is super controllable for street driving, i can modulate/slip it like a stock Evo clutch, or launch with confidence. makes a woot sound during engagement, but i could care less as easy as it is to drive.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
the twin is just like the triple, except the triple is noisier, and can get hot and act retarded sometimes.. but the triple is very driveable and is a bad ****. the triple has better driveability cruising because its heavier, and your rev's will hang up higher rpm longer making shifting a bit smoother. its a great clutch.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I am not a big fan of the exedy clutches. The cerametallic material wears out quickly even when driven conservatively. inspect twin or triple after 10k and you wont want to reinstall without a rebuild. The triple I hate as its the noisiest clutch I have heard to date. I couldnt live with it on a street car. but worse than those two demons is the third. Its HARSH on drivetrain parts. this thread shows short lifespan of clutch. and how hard it is on itself. the rest of the drivetrain is feeling the same grunt.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...en-before.html

The ATS clutches are awesome from what I have seen. I have been running the twin for a couple years and have not yet had to readjust clutch yet. there are numerous people now who have inspected them with 30-40k miles and the plates are showing incredible minimum wear. I have a used twin here with 45k on it and the flywheel disc shows just .005 wear from new. the flywheel disc is the one that wears the most. They are not harsh on the drivetrain. they do bite hard but it does it smoothly without harsh hit to drive train parts. drivabilty is about the same as exedy. the twin are nice and smooth. the triples even smoother. only downside to ATS clutches is they are difficult to get broken in correctly. they take 1000 easy city miles to get a nice glaze on the discs. once that is achieved they last forever. problem is most 700hp cars will NEVER come close to proper break in period. the clutch then gives unsatisfactory results. the carbon plates can wear out very quickly if they dont get a chance to glaze over. if the metal plates warp they can die in a day.

the exedy clutches are more durable for a drag car. the ATS are a dream for high HP street car.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Feb 11, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
The ATS is awesome until your chromo flywheel cracks a tooth of the starter ring and you overnight a new one from Japan for $645. ATS lack of stateside parts and english speaking sales representatives makes them harder to deal with. The Exedy's only drawback is the PP02 top plate under the pressure plate. It warps as the first disc in the stack is the first one to wear. When its apart replace it and it will be relatively problem free. That being said I have over 15k on my triple without wear issues, the top plate needs replaced but its been in there for 37k.

Aaron
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Aaron are you using a triple cerametallic or a carbon triple?

I don't suppose there's a good reason why QM can't make an 8 leg triple 7.25 cerametallic clutch?

Last edited by R/TErnie; Feb 12, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Cerametallic. I wont own a carbon in anything including a race car. I will drive something different or run an auto if I want to race a bunch. Carbon does not have an adequate lifespan, has a high initial cost, a high maintenance cost, and doesnt seem to last the same as a cerametallic clutch setup.

Aaron
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Cerametallic. I wont own a carbon in anything including a race car. I will drive something different or run an auto if I want to race a bunch. Carbon does not have an adequate lifespan, has a high initial cost, a high maintenance cost, and doesnt seem to last the same as a cerametallic clutch setup.

Aaron
John,

Do you guys sell an automatic for these cars?

BTW, I have a JDM Evo 7 Automatic transmission, torque converter, sitting in my shop. It has never been apart. Could you guys build this thing so I could put it in my car????
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie

I don't suppose there's a good reason why QM can't make an 8 leg triple 7.25 cerametallic clutch?
With the power they hold now is there really a reason they need a tripple?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by way2qik
John,

Do you guys sell an automatic for these cars?

BTW, I have a JDM Evo 7 Automatic transmission, torque converter, sitting in my shop. It has never been apart. Could you guys build this thing so I could put it in my car????
We will be in the future provided our R&D project continues to work out as we hope it does. The GTA trans might also work but it needs the harness and ECU with all the accessories like stock.

Originally Posted by droppinbottom
With the power they hold now is there really a reason they need a tripple?
It would be more for drivable than a twin since you could modulate it more.

Aaron
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

I've actually done really well on triple carbons. Got over 20k out of my last one over 600whp.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by lillev23
Exedy triple all day. The driveability of it can't be matched. It can hold just as much power/torque as any other clutch out there. I went from stock clutch, to exedy twin, to exedy triple and the triple drove just like the stock clutch did (it actually drove better than the twin). My wife also drove my car for a couple days on the triple and even she said it almost felt the same as the stock clutch. Buschurs on the exedy triple (not sure if its the push or pull version), and he said he likes his. You know his car makes an @ss load of torque with with the 2.3rpm and hta86.
Gotta agree with lillev23, I'm running an Exedy Twin Carbon, and my friend had a Triple Carbon, and there was almost no difference in driveability. Only reason I didn't go with the triple was because I had to shell out for a new TC and money was a little tight. I think you'd be happy with the Triple.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:16 PM
AMF

H, just buy my Exedy Triple, case closed.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:04 PM
Account Disabled

QuarterMaster All the way
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
local here had an evo that he drove a ton. like 20k a year. he had both exedy triple carbon and carbonetic triple carbon. same power, same driving habits. The exedy died quickly at just 15-18k miles. The carbonetic lasted 35k before there were clutch issues again. no comparison between these two clutches. the carbon used by carbonetics (ATS) is far superior.

carbon clutch fact: the carbon material is made in an autoclave at 2000 degrees and 2000psi pressure for six months.

no wonder its expensive.

Quick Reply: Clutch Options for 600+ TQ: Exedy Triple vs Quartermaster 8 leg vs ATS triple