Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost cut? Fuel cut? Im not sure what it is!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Boost cut? Fuel cut? Im not sure what it is!! HELP!

Alright so I had gotten my car fixed by a buddy because it was pushing 22psi and is supposed to be at 30-32. After I had gotten it back it was running better then ever. Spinning into 3rd gear! I was very happy with it being fixed. Well....couple days later it started to cut out in the higher end up turbo. When i got to about 30 pounds it seemed as though it had a fuel cut. Car would cut out off and on. I turned down the boost and then it did the same thing but at a lower psi. I turned it down more and once again it would start cutting out at like 23 psi now.

Okay now for the part i do not want to talk about. I had brought the car out of town and was runnin the streets of a different city. Well I had launched and my car seemed to have gotten stuck in a gear? I really dont know how to explain it....I was shifting through my gears but not moving anywhere but the car was still revving up in each gear. Well i had thought that i was just spinning the tires until i got into 4th gear and than shifted to 5th and stopped immediately beacause...well...I saw sparks come out of the vent in the hood. Im extremely worried about that now. So do you think that has something to do now with my car cutting out? i have not had time to look at a thing. I hope it is just spark plugs or something but i know that guy who fixed my car wouldnt have done something dumb like forgetting to gap the plugs or something...

Car runs fine except for when im trying to push high boost. If i just cruise normally everything is fine and i can drive fine. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first off, i dont think u where spinning in 4th gear unless ur maken 800+ hp.. second of all for cutting out could be multiple things.. fuel cut. is one but what are your mods? do u have a walbaro 255 in ur car? also if u do or dont it could be battery shorting out? or starter shorting out? that happens sumtimes but u will loose power of ur whole car and it will turn on and off.. as of seeing sparks coming out of ur hood that doesnt seem good at all. u might of think u where spinning into 4th but ur clutch could be slipping, which causes you to think your spinning into 4th. and lastly car getting stuck in 4th gear? like as if that the only gear u can stay in? it wont let u get into any other gear while running? what if u shut ur car off and push in the clutch will it go into gear? if not u could of bent or shift linkage or broke it now its stuck in gear. good luck tho hopefully u can figure it out.. you shouldnt be running that high boost unless ur running meth or maybe race gas.. idk ur mods so its hard to tell what ur situation is
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:09 PM

Yeah definitely was not spinning into 4th! I spin into 3rd sometimes and I new something was up when I was in 4th gear and not moving forward! I only shifted into 5th to see if maybe I would start to move forward. Yeah i have the walbaro 255. The whole car doesnt cut out. The car jerks cuz its building and letting out boost back and forth really fast. It sounds like im hitting a rev limiter for boost ha idk how else to explain... ill post my mods list under this in case that helps at all...

nitrade intake and exhaust valves
brand new water pump timing belt all gaskets
ams balance shaft delete
english racing 2.1l block
drilled slotted rotor and brand new pads all way around
tien s tech springs allway around
evo 9 front bumper
prosport boost guage
i know im forgetting stuff
shep tranny internals
with a new case hafl
rc 1200cc injectors
255 walbro fuel pump
e85
fp hta 71 reman turbo
megan 02 housing and manifold
hks down pipe and full 3inch turbo back exhaust
ams intercooler
ams lower intercooler pipe
acl bearings throughout the motor
arp hardware through out the motor
mahle pistons
hks-272/272 cams
supertech valve springs
eagle rods
competition stage 5 pressure plate and comp stage 4 disc
amsoil ran in everything transfer case rear end tranny and motor
transfercase been rebuild
with new bearigns and out put shaft and housing
newwer drive shaft
stainless steal clutch line
tuned with evoscan
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its hard to say, with out being there. did u get this car built? or did u buy it with all mods done? sounds like sumthing wrong with you clutch. but its hard to say.. what u put down for power??
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:46 PM

I built it with my buddy and started to love evos. He decided he wanted to sell it and i had learned a lot about building them from him and decided to buy it off him. Its at about 580 right now i believe. Going to bring it to MAP to get a good tune here soon and see what we after the dyno. It wouldnt be in the clutch though. I mean i know my clutch is going out i can definitely tell that but its something to do with my turbo. Im thinkin maybe not getting enough spark or enough fuel? because it is cutting out at higher psi...I have a video of what it is kind of doing. Something similar happened to my first evo and it ended up being bad spark. Ill get the video for you. Its just a video of the boost gauge showing what its doing
Old Feb 23, 2015, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
dude if its stuck in gear or if it doesnt move in a gear then its transmission/clutch related...sparks coming out of vent in hood now ive never heard of that before...thats weird...
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
First, it does not make 580hp on the hta71, nor does it spin the tires through 4th. I'm willing to bet you're having clutch issues. The cut out you're feeling is likely spark blow out. Make sure you have BR8 or Br7 spark plugs gapped at 20 thou, and make sure your coils ohm out good..
Old Feb 23, 2015, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
First, it does not make 580hp on the hta71, nor does it spin the tires through 4th. I'm willing to bet you're having clutch issues. The cut out you're feeling is likely spark blow out. Make sure you have BR8 or Br7 spark plugs gapped at 20 thou, and make sure your coils ohm out good..
Agree on all points.
Now would also be a good time to check for boost leak.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a heads up, the last time OP posted to this thread was Feb. 2012.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by APEXR
Just a heads up, the last time OP posted to this thread was Feb. 2012.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, I'm sure he appreciates everyone's input.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

lol oops...I didn't even notice...here's hoping he replies with the outcome...
Old Feb 24, 2015, 03:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Damnit...lol
Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:52 AM

2002 we changed all 5 of the part still won't shift help

Been stuck in around 3rd gear will not shift this is automatic 2002 lance, it's my daughter car she 17 and we fix all the the part that y'all said it could be I also double check that info other said something along with fault code come back but after all still isn't shifting help
Old Nov 6, 2015, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

if the car is automatic then you're talking about a whole different ball game...get that thing checked cuz you might have to drop that tranny and have it rebuilt...