Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

QuarterMaster Twin, Anybody have this problem...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QuarterMaster Twin, Anybody have this problem...

I recently went to an ATP GT3076 and a QuarterMaster Twin disc clutch, but am having a small problem... When I roll into 3rd, it seems like the clutch is slipping and I think the floater plate is making a loud noise. However, I did a 1st gear roll on and no problem in 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Has anybody seen anything like this before?

The clutch has 500 or so miles on it and I am running 26 psi on the ATP 3076. My tires aren't in the best shape (I get wheel hop in 2nd when I do a 2nd gear roll on). I was starting to think that maybe the wheels are spinning once I hit full boost in 3rd, but would the floater plate make a loud noise if the tires are spinning?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

evo 9

which qm u have 1/2/3 thay all different i have the 2 an love it the first is crap
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by flabber
which qm u have 1/2/3 thay all different i have the 2 an love it the first is crap
I'm not sure... The clutch was the one thing I didn't get and took the shop's recommendation on. I think it is a 2, but I could be wrong.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

If it's going to slip it will slip in a higher gear try 5th and see what happens.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
If it's going to slip it will slip in a higher gear try 5th and see what happens.
I gave it some gas in 5th around 3000rpms and at about 12psi it didn't slip at all. I may have to put more load on it, but I figured that should have been good enough to get it to slip a little.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

When that clutch starts "truly" slipping it feels like REALLY BAD wheel hop. Kinda like in a civic
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OneCrzyEvo21
When that clutch starts "truly" slipping it feels like REALLY BAD wheel hop. Kinda like in a civic
Hmmm, maybe what I thought was wheel hop in second wasn't? I just find it weird that roll on in 2nd, 3rd or 4th and I have issues, but roll on 1st and run 1st, 2nd, 3rd and some of 4th and there is no issue. This isn't my first twin disc clutch, but I have never had any kind of problems likes this until this clutch. Day to day driving is fine and up to 18-20psi won't make it slip (or what I think is slipping), but if I hit 26psi it starts its issues. Sometimes I swear this car does **** like this cause I don't give it enough attention haha.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It could possibly be an input shaft bearing. I'm no expert but I have heard of those going and funky noises coming from the trans. That or maybe your throwout bearing is bad. You should go back to the shop who did the work and tell them to fix it.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWD96
It could possibly be an input shaft bearing. I'm no expert but I have heard of those going and funky noises coming from the trans. That or maybe your throwout bearing is bad. You should go back to the shop who did the work and tell them to fix it.
I really don't think it is the input shaft bearing and the clutch is running a hydraulic throw out bearing, so I really don't think it is either of those, but I will definitely look into the input shaft bearing idea... I've talked to the shop a bit and they think it could be glazed discs if I was slipping the clutch to much on 1st gear start ups or what have you, so I plan to drive the car without beating on it (hopefully) to see if maybe the discs were a little glazed. Trust me when I say they have been very proactive about this issue, but I figured I'd see if anyone had this experience and knew the cause.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

The noise that I feel is the floater plate happens as the clutch slips (or what I assume to be slipping). I do not hear it all the time like the videos I have looked at of failing input shaft bearings.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:50 PM

Is the clutch pedal adjusted properly? Could be keeping slight pressure on the pressure plate.

Last edited by fp-green-95tsi; Feb 12, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fp-green-95tsi
Is the clutch pedal adjusted properly? Could be keeping slight pressure on the pressure plate.
You think like we do! That was the first thing we did when this started happening and part of what we thought could have glazed the discs.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OneCrzyEvo21
THIS^ ^
i have read many time that is the major sign of slipping clutch, but the clutch doesnt seem to have enough use to do this. Lots of people have said that clutches still need to be broken in properly. perhaps it has been glazed over a bit from trying to get use to the engagement. hopefully it just needs to be driven around street miles to clean off the glaze. good luck

Last edited by EvoFredo; Feb 21, 2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:44 AM

An input shaft bearing would be making a constant noise and very audible as well. Taking the clutch out and examining it would be the "safest" way I suppose. Do you have a clutch stop set up in the car? I would recommend it with this clutch if you don't. It doesn't take much to have the clutch slipping if the pedal isn't adjusted properly for wear.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Another thing to remember when making good power in this weather. If you are on a summer only tire you can and will spin in this weather. Summer only tires are down right dangerous in the winter, even without snow.

Quick Reply: QuarterMaster Twin, Anybody have this problem...