Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACD fluid level does not rise up after car sits for while.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACD fluid level does not rise up after car sits for while.

I know the level of fluid drops when the car is running and after it sits for a while the fluid level goes back up as fluid returns to the reservoir. But in my case, fluid level does not rise up after car sits for while. Actually, fluid level stays same before/after drive around. I tested ACD pump this morning manually and it worked fine. I don't know if freezing cold weather affects this? It was like 20 degrees outside lately. Also, I recently installed JDM headlight. Did I blow some fuses? Is there anything I should check? Many thanks to you guys and hope it's not serious.

This morning

Positive battery fuse. I heard 60A fuse relates to ACD pump operation.

Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My fluid level doesn't change. Even when it's cold and or warm out.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Accumulator might not be releasing it's fluid? It should go back up when the car sits for a couple hours.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

^ thanks guys. I remember it always went back to max level before installed JDM headlights. Is there any chance I messed up ACD unit during headlight swap? such as wires. Coule be coincidence but...
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

I drove to work now and no 3 acd lights. Our of curiosity, is there any reason why ACD sucks in and out the fluids? I hope my acd does not break due to not realeasing fluids.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

When the pump starts working it pumps fluid into the accumulator so that the acd doesnt always rely on the pump for its acd pressure. So the fluid level drops because its being stored in the accumulator. When the engine stops it grqdually releases its fluid back to the reservoir.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

^thank you so much for great info. so what happens if accumulator is shot and does not do its job? How does it affects on acd unit or acd pump? Sorry. I am trying to prevent worst case scenerio.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 315 Likes on 247 Posts
I recently did a clutch swap so the ACD was drained. After filling it up and bleeding the line this is something I watch closely. When cold the level sits on MAX and after driving it sits on MIN. I don't know how long it takes to rise after being parked, but not more than a few hours.

To test the pump turn the ignition to the on position and then press the throttle to the floor and hold. After a few seconds you will hear the ACD pump kick on for ~5seconds. On my setup this draws down the fluid level slightly, but not from Max to Min.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ryuartz
^thank you so much for great info. so what happens if accumulator is shot and does not do its job? How does it affects on acd unit or acd pump? Sorry. I am trying to prevent worst case scenerio.
I don't know enough about the pump to be able to answer that, unfortunately. I think I remember reading in another thread that it's quite rare for the accumulator to fail though.

Have you tried bleeding the ACD?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

^ thanks for help. Yea, I did pedal method and I could hear pump is running fine. No ACD 3 lights during drive. Only problem i have is fluid is not rising back to max level after car sits for while.

I took picture right after I came to work around 2:00

Took picture around 4:30. Level stays exactly same.

Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

The pump is running but did you actually bleed it with the bleeder nipple under the tcase?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Gonna ask a stupid question... Sure you are not low on ATF fluid?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thedru13
Gonna ask a stupid question... Sure you are not low on ATF fluid?
Whether he's low or not, the fluid level should still fluctuate when the car is running vs when it's been sitting for 2+ hours.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
The pump is running but did you actually bleed it with the bleeder nipple under the tcase?
I did not bleed. All I did was push pedal all the way down and put ignition to on postion. I heard pump was running for like 3-5 seconds. Isnt that how you test if pump is running ok?

Last edited by Ryuartz; Feb 13, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Yes but to test the whole system you should try bleeding it. The pump should run for 5-10 seconds then stay off for around 30 seconds while you have the bleeder open and are draining fluid. The pump doesn't need to run constantly even if you're bleeding because of the accumulator. If the pump keeps running while you bleed it might indicate a problem with the accumulator. If there's no fluid coming from the bleeder it may point to another problem.

Quick Reply: ACD fluid level does not rise up after car sits for while.