Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4inch Downpipe & 4inch Aluminum Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoryder
You're super cocky, but you have a nice setup lol
LOL. I post up some pics of stuff I'm doing for others to see. People come into my thread and trash it, and I'm cocky because I hit back instead of sit here and take it?

Originally Posted by blknblubkrdude
Your exhaust setup looks great.

Sounds like a lot of people on here have a bad case of the Jels, with their smaller but heavier exhaust.

Get some HQ vids up if you can.
We'll get some vids of it on the dyno in a few weeks.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by way2qik
LOL. I post up some pics of stuff I'm doing for others to see. People come into my thread and trash it, and I'm cocky because I hit back instead of sit here and take it?

We'll get some vids of it on the dyno in a few weeks.

It's not the replying, it's the way you reply. Do your thing.

Haters will hate.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:41 AM
Evolved Member

Hope to the get the car back on the dyno in a couple of weeks, schedule permitting.

No snow and streets were clear last night so I drove the car a little, so here are a few initial impressions from the drive.

1) There is PLENTY of clearance under this exhaust. I even drove the car into my 28ft. trailer to bring it home from where we had done the exhaust work, and it went up the incline into the trailer with room to spare under the car, even at the point of greatest angle, which is when the front wheels are finally inside the trailer and the rear wheels are still coming up the ramp.

2. The turbo is much more responsive than it was with the 3inch exhaust. Spool-up is considerably improved.

3. Regarding noise, I'm surprised that this exhaust isn't any louder than some of the 3inch stuff I've heard on other cars. Especially when compared to some of the cars out there that use a bullet-styled, glass-pack muffler. In fact, I think this 4inch is actually quieter than those due to the sound absorbing properties of the aluminum itself. This exhaust isn't "pingy" like the stainless exhausts I've heard. It is deep, mellow, and seems to make the engine sound larger than it is. It kinda reminds me of a Supra with large exhaust on it... I really like the way this thing sounds.

4. This exhaust is so free flowing, you can literally hear the turbine spinning through the exhaust even when it is just sitting there idling. I've only heard that happen on turbo diesel trucks with ginormous 5 and 6inch exhaust setups.

So, that's the initial review for now... Once on the dyno I'll report back the results.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Staying tuned
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:28 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interested in seeing dyno results...
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So has this car ever been to the track? It should trap 160mph by accident with that whp. Even with a crappy driver.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Updates please?!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 10isace
Updates please?!
Car has been driven a couple of times. Drives great. Will go to dyno soon. I've been out of town on business the last couple of weeks since we finished it up. Will set an appointment to throw it on the dyno soon...
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Weather is nice here in Detroit. Going to go for a little drive today
Attached Thumbnails 4inch Downpipe & 4inch Aluminum Exhaust-img_0261.jpg   4inch Downpipe & 4inch Aluminum Exhaust-img_0262.jpg   4inch Downpipe & 4inch Aluminum Exhaust-img_0263.jpg  
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
looks CLEAN!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by way2qik
Car has been driven a couple of times. Drives great. Will go to dyno soon. I've been out of town on business the last couple of weeks since we finished it up. Will set an appointment to throw it on the dyno soon...

hope you get video of it on the dyno i would really like to hear what it sounds like
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
I'm a fan of the 4". I'm doing a 3.5" ti exhaust on mine. . ETS ftw!
A buddy of mine who owns TurboHoses.com did some back to back testing a few years back on a built Supra to understand when a larger dp+Exhaust was needed. I will call him today to get the information. He tested 3" vs. 3.5" vs. 4" and I believe the benefits of 3.5" surfaced in the 600whp range, but I will verify.

It is misleading when people say company XYZ ran 150mph in the 1/4 with a 3" exhaust. It is not a question of whether it can be done, but whether additional gains can be had by going to a larger exhaust.

I am with you and will be going to a 3.5" exhaust in the coming months with a goal of 600whp on 93 octane.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

4inch air filter on the car now thanks to STM. Great customer service... Friendly, helpful staff. Much appreciated and much different than my experience with other vendors around here!
Attached Thumbnails 4inch Downpipe & 4inch Aluminum Exhaust-img_0265.jpg  
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was there when Ground Zero Motorsports tested a 3.5" exhaust on their 650whp(MD) Civic with a 3" downpipe still... picked up 60whp.

Of course that's well over 700whp on a DJ, but... 60whp?!?!? if I'm leaving 10whp on the table for no sacrifice in weight... I'm there.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
I was there when Ground Zero Motorsports tested a 3.5" exhaust on their 650whp(MD) Civic with a 3" downpipe still... picked up 60whp.

Of course that's well over 700whp on a DJ, but... 60whp?!?!? if I'm leaving 10whp on the table for no sacrifice in weight... I'm there.
BTW, ENGLISH RACING sold me the Magnus intake you see on this engine. Same great customer service that I experienced with STM. Friendly, helpful sales staff out there.

Quick Reply: 4inch Downpipe & 4inch Aluminum Exhaust