Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4inch Downpipe & 4inch Aluminum Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good, in for the sound clip and dyno.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-11...ech/index.html

for non believers
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by way2qik
BTW, ENGLISH RACING sold me the Magnus intake you see on this engine. Same great customer service that I experienced with STM. Friendly, helpful sales staff out there.
English is a great shop and I know all the guys who work there. Great bunch.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jmcmill3
Thanks for the link! Just makes me even more excited about my setup!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
BTW, ENGLISH RACING sold me the Magnus intake you see on this engine. Same great customer service that I experienced with STM. Friendly, helpful sales staff out there.
I am glad that we could help...even if Myles or I didnt know it at the time

The 4" downpipe becomes needed on the larger mid frame stuff. According to FP my 3586 was corked with the 3 to 3.5 setup I had, and the 3794 was even worse off. This year its getting a 4" DP and the 3.5 catback with dumps will stay put.

As a sidenote, I found that even at 3.5" there is power that can be made or loss with something as simple as the muffler. I went from a 4" aero turbine to a Magnaflow 3.5 offset entry and was fine until 660whp (26psi) after that my numbers start to diverge. By 38psi I was down 50whp because of the muffler.

Backpressure is the enemy, if I knew how to run it negative I would.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That article describes what we just experienced with my car on the dyno yesterday... Same type of gains.

Last edited by way2qik; Mar 20, 2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
You might want to recalibrate your hand sales. Your not gonna drop 75lbs. As for the 4 inch Bs. When comparing it to the ****ty perrin exhsust you are replacing it with thst is already restrictive then yes your exhaust will make gains. So will a properly built 3 inch unit. The turbo you pictured I hope is jot what your planing to use. Looks like a 3.0 vband housing. So again I do not see you picking up any worth while gains over s lighter 3inch exhaust. I dont make hulk hogen power like you do but I believe I made enough to see any gains from my old 3.0 to 3.5 inch exhsust. I saw nothing. And if your under 900 i dont think you will either. Well from the perrin to the new one you will. But from a properly built 3.0 you wont and again if you do its minimal
evodanman, did you read the article just posted above? They saw gains even in the 500hp range... Yet, you didn't see any? Maybe its more about YOU than it is about the exhaust system not making a difference?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:38 AM
Evolved Member

Some new results are in... Put the car on the dyno yesterday - https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...gear-pull.html
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Not an accurate back to back, the 3in was recirculated and the 3.5 wasn't. Even going to another 3in open dump would have showed gains, so I don't believe the marginal hp between the 3in and 3.5 would really be that big in a real back to back testing given that both are open dump.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Some new results are in... Put the car on the dyno yesterday - https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...gear-pull.html
Wow, awesome!!!!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Migsubishi
Not an accurate back to back, the 3in was recirculated and the 3.5 wasn't. Even going to another 3in open dump would have showed gains, so I don't believe the marginal hp between the 3in and 3.5 would really be that big in a real back to back testing given that both are open dump.
migsu, I just basically did back to back testing... The difference is enormous, especially at higher power levels.

Last year I made similar power to what I'm making now, but in 4th gear, with more boost. This year w/4inch exhaust we made the same power in 3rd gear (which usually shows a lower number), at less boost, and we totally maxed out the fuel system of the car.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

migsu, I just basically did back to back testing... The difference is enormous, especially at higher power levels.

Last year I made similar power to what I'm making now, but in 4th gear, with more boost. This year w/4inch exhaust we made the same power in 3rd gear (which usually shows a lower number), at less boost, and we totally maxed out the fuel system of the car.
Now that's what I wanted to here. Thanks for all the info provided in this thread, it is greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:26 AM

Beastly set up sir. Hopefully my car will be on the dyno soon. Im going to be running an Hta 3076 but I will be going bigger soon I'm sure. Collin at toxicfab is welding me a 3" titanium exhaust, 321 SS downpipe, all along with inconel bends. Hopefully ill have some good weight savings. Is your 3586 decent on the street?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by westheevokid
Beastly set up sir. Hopefully my car will be on the dyno soon. Im going to be running an Hta 3076 but I will be going bigger soon I'm sure. Collin at toxicfab is welding me a 3" titanium exhaust, 321 SS downpipe, all along with inconel bends. Hopefully ill have some good weight savings. Is your 3586 decent on the street?
Sounds like a nice setup. Sorry, I don't have a 3586 on my car. Where did you get that idea? I'm just wondering because I didn't say that anywhere in this thread
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Maybe because everyone runs a Garrett on a their EVO...so why wouldn't you

I dropped you a PM...

Quick Reply: 4inch Downpipe & 4inch Aluminum Exhaust