Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4inch Downpipe & 4inch Aluminum Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
4inch Downpipe & 4inch Aluminum Exhaust

Here's a few pics of some things we're doing to bring the car out with even more power this spring.

*4inch downpipe (304 stainless)
*4inch aluminum exhaust
*4inch aluminum Vibrant muffler (this thing is light)

V-band from front to back on exhaust for easy removal.
Probably saving 75-100lbs just in the exhaust system.
Also, doing aluminum intake piping to intercooler and from intercooler to throttlebody.

GO HERE TO SEE SOME DYNO RESULTS - https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...gear-pull.html
Attached Thumbnails 4inch Downpipe & 4inch Aluminum Exhaust-img_0212.jpg   4inch Downpipe & 4inch Aluminum Exhaust-img_0207.jpg   4inch Downpipe & 4inch Aluminum Exhaust-img_0208.jpg   4inch Downpipe & 4inch Aluminum Exhaust-img_0209.jpg   4inch Downpipe & 4inch Aluminum Exhaust-img_0210.jpg  

Last edited by way2qik; Mar 20, 2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Looks sexy. Any reason why you opted from doing an external o2 dump? I'll look out for your dyno or runs @ the track.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
Looks sexy. Any reason why you opted from doing an external o2 dump? I'll look out for your dyno or runs @ the track.
I think you mean external wastegate dump? If that's what you mean, I hate the noise they make. I had 3inch on the car last year with the wastgate plumbed into the downpipe just like this and it made decent power that way.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
way2qik, Where did you get your 2 piece oil pan from?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rsmike
way2qik, where did you get your 2 piece oil pan from?
+1
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
can we get more info on this car so the people like me do not post like i am about to below. we need more info on this car otherwise

why are you doing 4 inch exhasut? from 3 inch to 4 inch under 900hp your not gonna gain anything. so thats added weight you do not need. if your over 900hp a 4 inch exhaust is still not needed on an evo unless your planning to run 1200+ IMO.

if this is on a Evo there is no way your going to drop 100lbs on just an exhaust.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RSMike
way2qik, Where did you get your 2 piece oil pan from?
From a JDM Evo VII engine.

Originally Posted by evodan2004
can we get more info on this car so the people like me do not post like i am about to below. .
no.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Awesome, anxious to see results! I wanted to do an exhaust like that and everyone kept telling me that the Aluminum would sag from the heat even if it was DP back.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Migsubishi
Awesome, anxious to see results! I wanted to do an exhaust like that and everyone kept telling me that the Aluminum would sag from the heat even if it was DP back.
I've had full length aluminum exhaust on two street driven mustangs, and neither of them "sagged" at all. It will grow slightly in length as it gets hot, but this will be considered as we finish it off at the end.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

What does this car mph?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evodan2004
if this is on a Evo there is no way your going to drop 100lbs on just an exhaust.
THIS. +1.

the pictures look like it is his own evo...the bby and the way the lower radiator mount is setup, if we're right, and it is his 2003 Evo...theres no way it would be a 75-100lb difference from ANY exhaust system, even the factory exhaust wouldnt be anywhere near that.

you might need to re-calibrate that weight scale...
id say you'll maybe save 10-15lbs versus an aftermarket setup like a greddy tic, ams, or buschur catback...and even then i highly doubt it would be that big of a difference.

nice try though...

and as for power gains...gotta agree again with evodan2004, if the setup isnt able to make 900+whp i dont see you gaining too much from it...it will be loud as hell though.
the bends look good so far...lets see some finished results.

Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

Interested question on 4" downpipe, having a s400sx turbo, and doing about 1000 whp, would a 3" restricted exhaust system work on my setup? S400 has 4" native exhaust, actually i use a short pipe without going under the oil pan, but a little less noise would be a great thing....
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tim85851
THIS. +1.

the pictures look like it is his own evo...the bby and the way the lower radiator mount is setup, if we're right, and it is his 2003 Evo...theres no way it would be a 75-100lb difference from ANY exhaust system, even the factory exhaust wouldnt be anywhere near that.

you might need to re-calibrate that weight scale...
id say you'll maybe save 10-15lbs versus an aftermarket setup like a greddy tic, ams, or buschur catback...and even then i highly doubt it would be that big of a difference.

nice try though...

and as for power gains...gotta agree again with evodan2004, if the setup isnt able to make 900+whp i dont see you gaining too much from it...it will be loud as hell though.
the bends look good so far...lets see some finished results.

When I'm done I'll try to weigh it all. I currently have a old (like 6yrs old) Perrin 3inch, street version exhaust. Its very heavy. The muffler is extra large, much larger in fact than the typical conical muffler on most 3inch systems. The muffler itself weighs, with the tip and lead in piping, at least 40lbs.

My car made 780whp on a Mustang dyno last year through 3inch exhaust. That equates to about 900whp on a Dynojet if you use the average 13% higher reading that the Dynojet will give. We were beginning to see the results of back pressure as the boost got turned up to 40+psi. This exhaust will definitely allow us to make more power, and will allow us to do it easier.

So, you can agree with Dan, but I'll ask you both this - How much horsepower have you made through a full length 3inch exhaust? What is your personal experience with this? Or, are you just a pro from reading what others tell you here on Evom?

Last edited by way2qik; Feb 14, 2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by giangi
Interested question on 4" downpipe, having a s400sx turbo, and doing about 1000 whp, would a 3" restricted exhaust system work on my setup? S400 has 4" native exhaust, actually i use a short pipe without going under the oil pan, but a little less noise would be a great thing....
If you aren't running full length exhaust, I'm not sure it would make any difference on your setup. But when it comes to turbos, my personal experience tells me that turbos work best with no restriction at all.

If you ran full length 4inch to the bumper, you may see the same results as your short 3inch pipe you are currently using. Spool up might be a little slower with the longer piping, though...
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by way2qik
I've had full length aluminum exhaust on two street driven mustangs, and neither of them "sagged" at all. It will grow slightly in length as it gets hot, but this will be considered as we finish it off at the end.
That's what I needed to know. Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: 4inch Downpipe & 4inch Aluminum Exhaust