Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need advice for a oil catch can setup for a hi hp evo!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Drill_Sergeant
^^^that might be something you can ask DB directly. I can't remember seeing a CC on the badbish but i think he runs E98 in it.
Even so, that car is not comparable to a lot of others as he doesnt daily drive it and the engines dont stay in it long.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by way2qik
Do you use E-85 in your car? Only reason I ask is that in every car I've had that runs E-85, the fuel creates ALOT of condensation that ends up in the catch can. My catch cans are usually filled with an oil/water mixture due to this condensation.

Personally, I don't want watery oil being diverted back into my oil pan.
Yeah but the condensation is probably vented out of the top of the can. Im curious to see what DB says about this.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06redrocket
Ok, like the title says, I need a oil catch can for my car. As of now my car makes 700hp+ and does not have a catch can installed. Im also still using the oem pcv valve. The problem im currently facing is my oil pan is leaking and Im assuming this is being caused by high levels of cc pressure. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do please let me know.
JMFab makes a great can for our cars. I opted for something custom from TTP with 3x -6AN lines to valve cover, and vented dipstick for above and below piston venting with drainback to oil pan, but out of the box the JMFab is nice.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
If draining the can back into the engine didn't work, caused problems or had shown any adverse effects from the 200 or so cans we've put out there, we'd stop doing it.

For reference there are probably 1,000+ of this basic design out there on the Subaru's. For example: http://store.crawfordperformance.com/store/products/334

Let me assure you............never mind. Haters gonna hate.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
BTW, the idea for our can came from Crawford and when we used their products on our Subaru's. I asked them to build a can for the EVO and they weren't interested.

The link I posted I see now is "universal" which wasn't available back in the day.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
Same here, even on pump gas my can has always had more water than oil. I refuse to have it drain back.
Exactly. This isn't a personal attack against a particular product. I am just stating a fact - every car I have that has a catch can on it fills with BOTH oil and water from condensation. My Mustang, TA, and Evo ALL capture CONDENSATION AND OIL. Heaven forbid you lift the head a little bit on a run and push extra water into the can. Guess where that water will end up in that scenerio? And I've done this a couple of times over the years on my Mustang without torching the gasket.... So, it does happen.

If you want that going back into your pan because someone told you "its OK we've got hundreds out there doing this" the go ahead and do it. I personally wouldn't do it because I don't want that water being diverted into my oil pan. So, if I'm a "hater" for saying this, then so be it.

Last edited by way2qik; Feb 16, 2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by David Buschur
If draining the can back into the engine didn't work, caused problems or had shown any adverse effects from the 200 or so cans we've put out there, we'd stop doing it.
Ya given everything I think we'd hear about this if it were an issue to say the least.. thanks for the feedback sir.

Originally Posted by David Buschur
Let me assure you............never mind. Haters gonna hate.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Now im using a vented one. Been supplied by the OEM PCV and vc breather, when I emptied the can a milky oil came out. I doubt the moisture goes out the breather. But what I think happens is since the oul will immediately return to the pan, the moisture will evaporate when it hits the hot oil.

From Crawford
"- If the oil coming out of the motor is clean then the oil returning to the motor from the AOS will be clean as well, the AOS does not add anything into the oil system. That being said, if there’s a contaminate in the oil that’s coming out of the motor then it will drain right back into the motor."

I doubt moisture is a real contaminant, but coolant is different.

My .02¢
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Well I ended up buying the catch can from Buschur. Im going to install the dipstick and if after my first oil change I notice water in the oil im simply just going to run a line and drain it out on the street. Im curious to see if anyone has done an oil analysis after installing one though. If no one has, im game for doing one and finding out if there really is any contaminants from the oil being returned to the pan.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I freaked out the other day when I removed my cans to change my UICP, had some nasty mixture come out of it which I later found out was quite common oil/water mixture. Oddly I had drained my cans before and no condensation but this time it was in the winter and I wasn't driving the car as often. My cans are recirculated as well.

That being said I really like the Buschur can, I'd just find a way to avoid putting the extra oil into the oil pan. Not sure how much oil gets blown by on high HP motors but I'd rather just put a little more oil in every so often rather than putting all the condensed blow by vapors back in.