Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

do i need head studs for 27 psi

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012 | 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have been running 30psi for years with stock studs as well.

I have run 30psi with a stock turbo, FP red, and now an HTA 3582.
Old Feb 16, 2012 | 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i eventually did it today, i was getting the idea earlier on this post i should, so i went my *** and got it done.cost me $220 .Now i am ready the rest of you guys reply and look like majority is that i didn't need at this time.I am only gonna be pushing my car like 27psi or so.
tuning the car tonight Urcle is tunning for me from Espec.thanks for all the response i am amazed how much reply i got and was fast too thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2012 | 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Smile

well i eventually did it today, i was getting the idea earlier on this post i should, so i went my *** and got it done.cost me $220 .Now i am reading the rest of you guys reply and look like majority is that i didn't need at this time.I am only gonna be pushing my car like 27psi or so.
tuning the car tonight Urcle is tunning for me from Espec.thanks for all the response i am amazed how much reply i got and was fast too thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2012 | 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
No you dont need studs, unless you are planning on doing a headgasket job.

^^^This for sure.

I have been running on 27 psi for almost a year now, but I don't daily my car, and I don't beat the living crap out of it everytime I drive it either.

I would never do the 1x1 method, because as everyone else states, it is just asking for trouble.

I hope it's not for a while that my car needs a headgasket, but when it does, you better believe that I will go back with headstuds just for the cheap insurance.
Old Feb 16, 2012 | 04:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 206 Likes on 150 Posts
Would you trust a priest with a boner? My .02
Old Feb 16, 2012 | 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad tunes are usually discovered *after* there is trouble. Nothing wrong with being cautious.
Old Feb 16, 2012 | 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There is many cases where people run XX amount of boost on stock headstuds and see no issues, there is some where people do. Yes, tuning can have a negative impact on the life span of stockers but everyones car is different. If you start modifying it, expect something to go bad. It's what happens eventually.

Bottom line is though, ARP's tensile strength is designed to be MUCH stronger than OEM, which is why you upgrade to them. For the price you mentioned it seems to be that you paid for them to be installed, which was a good choice if your not comfortable doing something like that. You made the right choice man regardless of what peoples experiences are, because when a stock headstud stretches and your HG goes, none of us are paying for it.
Old Feb 16, 2012 | 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWD96
There is many cases where people run XX amount of boost on stock headstuds and see no issues, there is some where people do. Yes, tuning can have a negative impact on the life span of stockers but everyones car is different. If you start modifying it, expect something to go bad. It's what happens eventually.

Bottom line is though, ARP's tensile strength is designed to be MUCH stronger than OEM, which is why you upgrade to them. For the price you mentioned it seems to be that you paid for them to be installed, which was a good choice if your not comfortable doing something like that. You made the right choice man regardless of what peoples experiences are, because when a stock headstud stretches and your HG goes, none of us are paying for it.
thats true atleast i am a little safe now!