Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACD pump dead. What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ACD pump dead. What should I do?

The dealer wants $3920 + tax to replace my pump. This seems really high. Is it normal?

There are a lot of other things I would rather spend this money on.

Is it worth it to replace the pump?

Should I switch to a non-acd transfer case?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You should look into your options to see who else might be able to change it out. As for switching to a non-acd t-case, what do you do with your car? Drag? Auto-X? Road race? If it's a DD or drag car then non-acd will do. Otherwise I'd keep the acd as it's been shown to net faster lap times.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Daily driver

I drive the car everyday. When I get the chance I auto x and drag race. It is an 06 with 102,000 miles. I would rather put a stroker kit in it to refresh the motor than buy a pump.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

I'm in the same boat. Honestly, I don't want to buy a used pump and have it die in 20k. I also do not want to buy a new pump because they are insanely expensive.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

I'd think the simplest and least expensive option would be to find an ACD pump in the "For Sale" forums here; most can be had for under $400 and are a DIY install.

Unless you are 100% comfortable going through a non-ACD case to insure that it is up to snuff, in the end it will be more to switch out to non-ACD and you end up losing the advantages that ACD provides based on how you use the car.

Last year when I made the voluntary switch to a non ACD set up on the race car, good non-ACD cases were in short supply so there was no net financial benefit in the exchange between the 2 (may be different now).

I realize it can be a crap-shoot with any used part, but the financial risk of a bad non-ACD case is higher than an ACD pump that may not last as long as you might expect.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll get on this boat.. My pump is dead too ! Pulled code 82.. I have read that it just defaults into tarmac mode so I haven't really been all that concerned about it. I will get another used pump at some point... Question I have is.. can the pump be rebuilt ? Something to look into I suppose..
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
They are rebuildable but there aren't any rebuild kits for sale in north america nor are there any shops that rebuild them here. It's only in Europe I believe that there are any shops that offer this service.

my pump died last summer; bought a used one and swapped it in, been doing fine ever since. I still have my old one and will try to find a local place to rebuild it this summer. With a little luck whoever ends up doing it may be willing to offer a rebuild kit or rebuild service.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting.. I deal with a pretty good hydraulic shop at work so I will have to give them a call tomorrow.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Did they tell you what is wrong with it exactly?

My ACD pump died to due to the motor seizing. I ended up buying another used ACD and replacing mine. You could either find a used ACD pump or even switch to non ACD tcase with lsd.

But its anything other than the motor on the pump that caused it to stop working, let me know I have the parts available and may be a cheaper alternative for you.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

My pump is out too but I was told it doesn't make much of a difference. I am in florida and really don't need the other modes. I use my car as my DD.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 286 Likes on 218 Posts
I put togeather a rebuild kit and a set of tools for repair... I developed it while repairing my pump... I'll put up a video shortly, and if any vendors are interested in the kits please let me know...
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

i found a reasonably priced low mile one on here. search the boards....
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZoSilverEvo
My pump is out too but I was told it doesn't make much of a difference. I am in florida and really don't need the other modes. I use my car as my DD.
the problem is that without the pump, the centre diff runs without any locking action.. runs just like an open diff... Which is ok, lets say, when running on dry tarmac... but throw in some loose surface/rain, and you will notice it missing..
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Rebuild Kit?

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
I put togeather a rebuild kit and a set of tools for repair... I developed it while repairing my pump... I'll put up a video shortly, and if any vendors are interested in the kits please let me know...
I am interested. Where can I buy the parts?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by black evil evo
I am interested. Where can I buy the parts?

well, I'll have to ship overseas...

my suggestion is that you wait about a week for the HOW TO vid I am preparing, then if anyone is interested...

my idea is to sell the tool kit and the rebuild kit for the pumps to anyone interested.. Might be a nice sidejob for people maintaining EVO's... Anyway it will be much much cheaper than a new pump...

for the record, the pump on my car was shot, and it is pumping 25 BAR+ at the moment..

Also, I made a box to isolate the pump from the elements, but that is for EUDM and JDM cars only, but another one for E10 is in the works..

Quick Reply: ACD pump dead. What should I do?